Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just finished the installation of aux line-in in my stantard car audio in a 147.
After this you can connect any type of mp3 player or whatever you want.
The car stereo is an Blaupunkt 937 hich cd.
The same one except outside design exist also in most of the 156 also.
So if anyone can handle a soldering gun and has some basic electronic knowlege can do it in a few minutes.
If anyone is interesting just make some posts and i will upload more details and photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
I would like to know how you done this, I have tried using the changer port with the bus lines shorted out, but the head unit cant pick it up. Some head units will work and some wont - if you have more information - lets have it!

In the 159 I used the alfa ipod interface which does work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are all the photo from the procedure.

Although the headunit "cut" all the signals from cd or radio when detect in the entrance signal, one good tip is to insert one cd and press the "pause" button.

Adjust the volume of your mp3 player in the proper height.

All the other functions like volume-bass-treble-fader-equalliser-mute etc. are working from the headunit

Buy.

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
Good work! I may well follow that guide next week!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
So by doing this do you effectively turn the stereo into speaker and still retain full functionality with the multi-changer and single slot CD player?

·
Registered
341 Posts
But to 'select' aux-in you must pause a CD?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes you keep full functionality of the existing cd changer and headunit also.:)
The quality depents to your mp3 player and cables but more or less like cd quality much better than radio.
But what is the reason to keep a cd changer (exept maybe more fuel consumption because of the extra weight and less place):confused: when in one only 512mb mp3 player(the smaller one) you can put more music than in 10 cd's ???. Imagine now how much of your cd's you can put in a 20gb or even more with the prices that are everyday smaller in this market.
My mp3 player (photo no9) is 20GB, cost me 99€ and without charging keeps for at least 5 hours. Contains Lion battery and switching charger and all of this in ....99€....and you can use it also like external HD if you have Windows XP (more or less everybody).
Imagine that for a adapter for the headunit they ask me 200€!!!:rant:

D

·
0 Posts
I've tried to follow this guide but the inside of my stereo is different to Tillas's one. It's a standard 147, Blaupunkt 937 High. Here's a photo of the inside of my head unit, does anyone know where I solder the wires? Looks like some fine soldering skill needed.

Has anyone else done this to a standard 147 head unit? I'm desperate to get my MP3 player to play through my stereo and the shorting of pins at the back doesn't work on my head unit. The radio's driving me skits and half my CDs are too scratched to play in this delicate little head unit. Waaaaahh!! :cry:

The only other option is buying a whole new head unit, but then there's the extra cost of steering wheel control adapters and the minefield of what works with the dashboard display and what doesn't. Any recommendations for a straight swap without £100 worth of wiring and adapters to get the thing to work?

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Dibby I suspect that your 147 head unit is the same as ours - where the bus shorting trick doesnt work, If tillas could tell you where those connections go to on the CD ribbon (he must have traced them) then you could follow them on the board.

I doubt you anyone will be able to advise via the photo unless they have done it themselves.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Go to Maplins and get a hardwired fm modulator for about 20 quid. SImple just find a live feed and a earth, unplug the ariel , plug into interface box, then plug extended ariel lead into stereo, hey presto!

D

·
0 Posts
Cheers superturismo, what's the sound quality like? I've had wireless FM transmitters and ended up with all manner of interference and crackling.

D

·
0 Posts
If tillas could tell you where those connections go to on the CD ribbon (he must have traced them) then you could follow them on the board..
Would it be possible to try touching the connections from the aux lead to the pins connecting the ribbon to the circuit board and listening to see what is connected to left and right channels? Just want to check I'm not going to damage anything by sticking wires together randomly.

Pardon my ignorance here, I must admit I'm a complete spaz when it comes to electrics.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Cheers superturismo, what's the sound quality like? I've had wireless FM transmitters and ended up with all manner of interference and crackling.
the sound quality should be like radio 1, always good signal and never any interferance. thats the best way i can explain. I have fitted a few of these kits and they are great for the price they are.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Can confirm with the above poster.

The hardwire systems use the car aeriel to transmit back to the car. Perfect signal and no interferance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
About Dibby question.
Plz send me one photo in good quality from the inside of the headunit.
i must see and read the details on every item from the circuit inside your headunit.
If i can find the "mixer" i will tell you the line in.
send me good quality of the inside in [email protected]:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Go to Maplins and get a hardwired fm modulator for about 20 quid. SImple just find a live feed and a earth, unplug the ariel , plug into interface box, then plug extended ariel lead into stereo, hey presto!
I did this however the ariel connection on the back of the head unit is not compatible :(

So unless there is a way of putting it inline elsewhere I'm stuck.

W.

PS - 147 with a Blaupunkt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts