Alfa Romeo Forum banner

621 - 640 of 643 Posts

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
What are you trying to do ? TBH, installing a stereo in any car is pretty much the same, only a few minor differences.

·
Registered
GT 3.2 V6
18 Posts
@typos1, thanks for the response. I put my questions in another thread. I am installing a North American spec stereo and I am replacing a no brand head unit. So, most of my questions involved trying to figure out what I have (both original and current config), and then adapting to any difference with a NorAm unit. As you noted, looks like the differences will be small.

Here is the thread I started:

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Yeah and if theres an ISO adapter on it you shouldnt have to figure out what most of the wires are for, should all be done for you. I cant think waht would be different about the NA radio, though, apart from the range of frequencies.

·
Registered
GT 3.2 V6
18 Posts
@typos1 you were correct. With the correct wired remote harness, it was pretty smooth. The Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX dongle only has cables out, no ISO plugs. I bought some and soldered them to the correct wires. Then I connected that to the 2Connects CTSAR003.2 wired remote harness. That already had bullet connectors for parking brake, speed pulse, and reverse.

The only unusual thing I had to do was splice in an extra lead from A5 (12v switched/antenna) to C-6 (yellow mini-ISO for Bose booster.

Everything seems to work very well. The sound is orders of magnitude better. I can actually get stations in Poland, even with the extra information about song, station name, etc. which I didn't think was compatible with NorAm FM radio. I have full range of volume control from very low to very loud, the equalizer works, the fade and balance are good, and the sub-woofer is definitely working.

Also, I regained all the steering wheel buttons (not setup on previous headunit). They just worked, no programming or settings at all.

I do have a couple of minor clean-up items. The fit is tight, so I haven't put it all the way in yet. I am buying new Pioneer GPS terminals. There are two RG-174 coax cables, one with the terminal ripped off, the other an HP5-1S (which feels very loose). I am very confident this car was originally fitted with NAV. Therefore, I think the GPS antenna works, but I don't know which one is GSM and which is GPS. So, I will reterminate and test them, hoping to use the correct one on the new headunit. If it turns out neither works, I'll just run the supplied antenna. I also still need to test the mic, and I'd like to find the original mic lead, since that mic is still in the center console to the car.

@shiny_car config notes are spot on.

Mine is a 2004 GT. The CarAudioCentre.co.uk website, Amazon, and elsewhere says I need the wired remote without CANBUS - that is wrong. Mine is working properly with the 2Connects CTSAR003.2 adapter which is with CANBUS.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Glad youre happy, what stations are you talking about that the unit gets info for ? Online radio ?

I m sorry to say that you bought the Connects2 adapter in vain - its totally unnecessary - whilst all 147s and GTs are CAN Bus, no 147 or GT needs any sort of CAN Bus adapter - some cars lack a switched live on the ISO plug so you may need to wire the red wire to a switched live on the car such as the 12v socket. The SWC are restive, not CAN Bus, so any head unit that is resistive SWC compatible can learn them, its only if you have a head unit that isnt compatible with resistive SWC that will you need an SWC adapter. You can get the handbrake signal from putting a wire on the handbrake switch (just lift up the gaiter), a reverse signal is only necessary if youre fitting a reverse camera and if you are, you get it from tapping into the reverse light (thats what powers the camera) and speed pulse is 100% unnecessary these days. Either of the Connects2 adapters would work if fitted them and as I ve said, it would also work if you didnt use one. I was speakking to Connects2 at the beginning if the year and they confirmed that neither adapter is actually necessary and that thye both exist "to make it easier for people". . . . and lots of money for them. There are plenty of cars where adapters are necessary, but 147s and GTs are not them, so if you can I d take it back, say you didnt need it and get a refund.

If the car had GPS from the factory it will have both GSM and GPS leads with GT5 connectors on the end, the GSM one will be green, if theres no green it didnt have GPS from the factory as this also came with GSM. Both GPS and GSM leads should coming from the base of the antenna, not random ones you find under the dash, these are most likely for the central locking antenna or unused, so if youve found an sma/smb/FAKRA lead theyre likely to be from an aftermarket installation. .

But if you have a mic in the centre console maybe the car did have GPS from the factory - this mic is for the speed dependent volume control, not the GSM (I dont know why, 147s with speed dependent volume control and /or GPS didnt have this mic).The GSM mic is in the interior light and there will be a white plug behind the heater controls (or thereabouts) with the wires on it, the mic is behind the perforated bit in the middle of the interior light - all cars have the perforations, if there no mic there it didnt have GPS/GSM. If it is let me know I ve got a wiring diagram for the plug so you know which wires are which.

·
Registered
GT 3.2 V6
18 Posts
Thanks for the explanation, but I clearly am not understanding. I am not doubting you, I just don't understand how the SWC can change volume, hang-up, pick-up, mute, and change mode when there no link between the stereo and the SWC. Without the harness, the only connections from the radio would be power, ground, and antenna (power) with illumination and ignition ACC not connected. Actually, they still aren't connected even now - there is no data/info link between the stereo and anything. I guess that proves your point, but I still don't understand how it communicates.

I am not worried about it. The harness was only ~25 euros and I'd pay that just not to mess with all the wires again. I didn't expect I would use the speed pulse (I don't even know what that is supposed to be for, except maybe increasing the volume with road noise). I know the reverse can be connected to the switch near the gear shift. If this doesn't work, then I will do that when I install the reversing camera which is the next thing I will work on. The parking brake also doesn't matter - I can't imagine I'll ever use it to watch a movie. My iPad will be right there, if I wanted to watch a video, it has a bigger screen.

About the GSM/GPS...okay, I erred earlier. I wrote HP5 (a type of Ilford film) I meant GT5. This is what I found when I first pulled the old unit out to look behind:

I think the green GT5 is GSM. I think the other RG-174 coax was GPS. The cables are the same type. One reason I think they were installed is because the green one is weak (somebody yanked hard on it) and the missing one was pulled off. If they were just sitting there, disconnected, why would somebody yank on them at all.

The two coax lines were rapped in the cloth tape they used in the factory. My guess now is something catastrophic happened to the original stereo/NAV/phone whatever. I don't know why somebody would steal a factory unit, but it looks like it was yanked out roughly. Maybe somebody needed the part for another car. The replacement was probably less than 50 euros...super cheap.

The factory white connector, I believe for the phone (if installed), is here, but I can't tell if it was connected to anything.

So, you suggested I look at the cabin light. I was just going to do it tomorrow, but curiosity prayed on my mind. First, the light was much harder pull down than I thought. Then, when I pulled it down, I thought I broke something. In fact, I believe somebody else beat me to it. There was crazy, supplemental ground wire (with aluminum contacts!). I can't tell what it was for or where it was spliced in, but the work was childlike bad.

I can't separate the light to see behind the perforations. However, there is a two wire connector that looks like it could be for the mic. It is not for the lights, I accounted for those wires. Also, I can see waferboard (like for electronics) through the gaps where the mic should be mounted.

I thought I broke the connector in the upper left, but it doesn't match the plug (2 prong vs 3 prong) and it only goes to the two LEDs on either side of the speaker. The red wire (lower right) tucked under the metal piece...that is how I found it. I test it all before I put it back in.

If you can shoot me the schematic, I'd appreciate it. If I can find the speaker wire in the dash, I'd like to use it.

BTW, the radios were just broadcast radio. I don't know much about it, but I believe I read HD FM in NorAm is a different standard than in Europe. I didn't expect any HD radio in Europe to work, and I thought the extra data (song, station, etc.) were part of HD radio, not standard FM.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
In my reply I said "any head unit that is resistive SWC compatible", that is how the SWC would work, there would be 3 SWC wires coming from the head unit, I guess yours does not have them.

For the reverse cam its the reverse light you need to tap into, not the handbrake wire, that is for the , um handbrake, lol, if you wire the reverse camera to the handbrake switch nothing will happen when you put the car into reverse but when you put the handbrake on oit will switch to the reverse camera !

I can tell by the light that you probably did have GPS/GSM from the factory - I can tell from the interior light, that black plug at the bottom is for the mic, the other end of it will be behind where the interior light is in the head lining and is attached to that white connector, I ve attached the wiring diagram. Someone probably removed the factory GPS like an idiot, they didnt have the correct tools and just pulled it out, its quite common. Looks like someone has tapped into the supply for the interior light or some reason. For the GPS you can buy a new sma plug to put on the wire, its pretty easy to do.

We dont have any HD radio in Europe, even DAB is not HD, there was some digital FM standards but I dont think any are used as peopel went with DAB (sadly as DAB is rubbish and the digital FM had better audio and was backwards compatible, but I digress).

As for the radio info youre getting I think it may be analogue radio info its picking up - HD radio is based on analogue radio and can pick up analogue radio too, so its probably RDS info youre seeing.

Attachments

·
Registered
GT 3.2 V6
18 Posts
Thank you very much for the connector layout. That is extremely useful. I ordered some pin connector kits and a mono mic input lead. It should either be pins 8 and 9 on the 18 pin connector, or just pin 9, and the other is ground. I'll use the multi-tester to figure that out first.

The parking brake "feature" might only be a US thing. Video features are disabled (e.g. FaceTime, YouTube, playing DVDs) unless the parking brake is set. So there is a lead which is supposed to go to the parking brake switch. When the brake is set, we have the feature for which we paid. When there is no signal the brake is set, all the video features we paid for are disabled.

I've worked in IT for 20+ years. 99.99% of my time is spent trying to figure out why two things designed to talk to eachother won't communicate. So, to come across something that "just works" crossing multiple vendors, two very different markets, and competing standards is difficult to believe. In any case, I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. I'll chock it up as a win and move on to my other difficulties.

Even the reverse works. When I put the gear shift in reverse, the stereo tries to switch to the reversing camera (there is currently no input) and gives me parking lines.

My project for today is:
  • check wires, hook up, and test factory mic
  • install reversing camera
I still won't do the final mounting yet. I ordered new Pioneer terminators for the RG-174 coax to the GSM and GPS antennas. That will probably take a few weeks to arrive since they are coming from the US. If I can't get the right antenna to work, I'll just install the aftermarket GPS antenna that came with the stereo.

Unfortunately, I've run into another electrical issue in the meantime, for which I will create a separate post. It is probably related to this, but I can't see how.

Thanks much for your assistance and information.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
The mic inputs are pins 9 and 18 I think from memory, years since I ve wired mine up, I got the info frmo threads on here so thread searching or googling it may fnid you the info.

The parking brake feature is a standard feature on car stereos with video worldwide - you wore it to the handbrake or use a CAN Bus decoder to get a brake signal (basically when the brake is on its earthed which allows videos to play), as I said on our cars a decoder is unnecessary for this.

Reverse works cos you have the decoder and its getting the signal from the CAN Bus, it would also have worked if you didnt have a decoder and tapped into the reverse light.

No standard GPS input on th eback ? Rings some bells, I m sure I tried to use a Pioneer GPS antenna for another unit but couldnt cos they dont use standard connectors, they force you to buy through the nose to buy their propietory connector, grr I hate this sort of behavior, reminds me of evil Apple.

If you link to your other problem I may be able to help.

No probs and good luck with today :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hello :)

I will be installing in a week of time my new head unit Alpine iLX-W650BT along with an Alpine amplifier PDX-V9 in to my 147 fl, year 2006.

I have a question regarding the reverse camera - will the car send a reverse signal through the jacks in to the HU so that it automatically turns rear camera on??? Or do I need to pull a wire from the reverse light?

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I very much doubt that Alpine supplies a CAN Bus decoder specific to the 147/GT with the unit, so you ll have to take it from the reverse light or buy a CAN Bus decoder, but even with a decoder you still have to take power from the reverse light cos its the reverse light that powers the camera - when the reverse light is on, so is the camera. Well known car stereo manufacturers do not usually spec their units with resisitive SWC compatibility (usually only Chinese manufacturers do that) so you will need some sort of adapter of you have SWC and if you get the Connects2 one as @TXGRunner did it will come with a reverse signal wire, this may save you connecting the reverse signal wire from the end of the RCA cable on the camera to the back of the head unit . . . depending on the head unit and the camera.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Yes, thats to power the camera, but you also have to tell the head unit that the car is in reverse, so it knows to switch to the camera, you can do it by connecting the power wire on the end of the camera RCA lead to the reverse wire on the head unit or by using a CAN Bus decoder and connecting the reverse wire from that to the head unit.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Here is the layout from ALPINE

alpine2.JPG

I will connect the camera as per drawing - this makes sense to me

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Yes thats it, theyve just given you a second wire to wire to the head unit to tell it the car is in reverse, instead of combining it with the RCA lead.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
No idea why youd want to fool the handbrake signal and be distracted by video when driving, you might kill or injure yourself let alone anyone else. :rolleyes:

Yellow/blue = handbrake wire ? Connect it to the handrak wire - lift up the gaiter and you ll see it attached to the handbrake.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I wanted to stream youtube videos over it primary because of music over Android Auto, I would not watch videos because I would make a wreck of my wife's car :D

·
Registered
GT 3.2 V6
18 Posts
The mic inputs are pins 9 and 18 ...

No probs and good luck with today :)
Weekend rains washed out most of my efforts.

Yes, excellent catch, it was pins 9 and 18 (I didn't scroll down doc far enough). I was able to get the mic to work, unfortunately, the quality was pretty bad.

I verified the wires with a multi-tester. I made a 2.5mm mic mono lead (Pioneer unit), and terminated with a double DuPont pin connector. However, using the mic, the other person was rating quality as 3-4 on a 1-10 scale. With the supplied Pioneer mic, they gave it a 10. With the legacy mic from previous no-name brand unit, they also gave it a 10. I used a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter for the legacy mic and called it a day. I didn't have time for reverse camera yet. My other time went into other electrical issue.

Thanks much for your assistance. You've been very helpful.

621 - 640 of 643 Posts