Alfa Romeo Forum banner

581 - 600 of 643 Posts

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #581
It should be fine, so long as you're not using the cigarette lighter at the same time, or playing at full volume.

But the question is why?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi folks,

I have bought a 2 DIN aftermarket headunit for my Alfa Romeo 147 Q2 2008.

This is the link for the multimedia:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Din-Car-DVD-Multimedia-Player-GPS-Navigation-w-North-America-Map-Bluetooth/292540079920?epid=21018618330&hash=item441cbf5f30:g:ezIAAOSw1LRa4rpJ:rk:5:pf:1&frcectupt=true

The wiring picture in the link and the picture I have on the multimedia itself do not match. I follow the wiring picture from the link.

I have managed to connect all the wires except the last 5 counting from the bottom on the picture of the wiring in the link.

I am a bit confused about them and I am not what they are for and where to connect them.

In my car there actually is a wire connected to the ignition key which switches the multimedia on, I checked it with the multimeter. Therefore I connected the red and orange wires from the new multimedia to it.

If you look the wiring schematic picture for Alfa 147/GT from the first post in the thread the wire connected to the ignition key is just next to the BOOSTER IN and it says NC.

The wires I have not connected yet are:

1. All the wire in the GREEN plug (RC-B, TEL AF-, GROUND, TEL/MUTE, RC-A, TEL AF+).
2. CAN A
3. CAN B
4. BOOSTER IN
5. AUT./ANT.

·
Premium Member
7,328 Posts
Hi folks,
I have managed to connect all the wires except the last 5 counting from the bottom on the picture of the wiring in the link.

I am a bit confused about them and I am not what they are for and where to connect them.

In my car there actually is a wire connected to the ignition key which switches the multimedia on, I checked it with the multimeter. Therefore I connected the red and orange wires from the new multimedia to id d coulant.

If you look the wiring schematic picture for Alfa 147/GT from the first post in the thread the wire connected to the ignition key is just next to the BOOSTER IN and it says NC.

The wires I have not connected yet are:

1. All the wire in the GREEN plug (RC-B, TEL AF-, GROUND, TEL/MUTE, RC-A, TEL AF+).
2. CAN A
3. CAN B
4. BOOSTER IN
5. AUT./ANT.
Do not connect CAN A and CAN B (2,3), those are not required for aftermarket radio's, and could cause problems if connected.
Booster in(4) is a signal that is required ONLY if you have Bose. +12 signal in this wire in the wiring loom will cause Bose amplifier to switch on with radio. If you have Bose, you could f.i. connect it to the AUT/ANT output wire of the radio, together with the wire that is already there.
AUT/ANT (5) is a +12 Volt output signal from the radio, used for power to the radio antenna amplifier of the car

Green plug (RC-A, RC-B, Ground) are the signals going to remote buttons on steering wheel )RemoteControl-A, RemoteControl-B left and right button clusters)

Additionaly, connecting red and yellow wires together to a switched +12 supply will cause the radio to forget it's settings every time you switch off the ignition.....
Yellow is constant +12 (to retain memory), red is switched +12 for auto on/off of radio

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do not connect CAN A and CAN B (2,3), those are not required for aftermarket radio's, and could cause problems if connected.
Booster in(4) is a signal that is required ONLY if you have Bose. +12 signal in this wire in the wiring loom will cause Bose amplifier to switch on with radio. If you have Bose, you could f.i. connect it to the AUT/ANT output wire of the radio, together with the wire that is already there.
AUT/ANT (5) is a +12 Volt output signal from the radio, used for power to the radio antenna amplifier of the car

Green plug (RC-A, RC-B, Ground) are the signals going to remote buttons on steering wheel )RemoteControl-A, RemoteControl-B left and right button clusters)

Additionaly, connecting red and yellow wires together to a switched +12 supply will cause the radio to forget it's settings every time you switch off the ignition.....
Yellow is constant +12 (to retain memory), red is switched +12 for auto on/off of radio
Thank you for your answer.

I have a Bose System in the car.

I did not connect the red to the yellow wire as you stated above. I connected the red and the orange wires to the ignition key wire.

I did not understand where to connect the BOOSTER IN and AUT/ANT cables.
What do you mean by
If you have Bose, you could f.i. connect it to the AUT/ANT output wire of the radio, together with the wire that is already there.
Should I just connect the BOOSTER IN and AUT/ANT wires to the constant +12V?

On the aftermarket headunit the wires that are left are labelled as follow:

1. KEY 1 - I guess this is a wire for steering controls
2. KEY 2 - I guess this is a wire for steering controls
3. REVERSE (brown) - I guess this is the wire that has to trigger the camera when I switched to reverse gear
4. It is a black wire and I guess it is the ground wire for the steering wheel.
5. Pink wire which is stated to be a wire for the camera input

·
Premium Member
7,328 Posts
Thank you for your answer.

I have a Bose System in the car.
Should I just connect the BOOSTER IN and AUT/ANT wires to the constant +12V?

On the aftermarket headunit the wires that are left are labelled as follow:

1. KEY 1 - I guess this is a wire for steering controls
2. KEY 2 - I guess this is a wire for steering controls
3. REVERSE (brown) - I guess this is the wire that has to trigger the camera when I switched to reverse gear
4. It is a black wire and I guess it is the ground wire for the steering wheel.
5. Pink wire which is stated to be a wire for the camera input
Do NOT connect Booster in and AUT/ANT wires to +12 ....
AUT/ANT should be an OUTPUT signal from your radio, that gives a +12 volt signal when you switch on the radio. Should be indicated in your radio manual. This is used for the radio antenna amplifier,

Key 1 and KEY 2 should be the inputs on your radio for the steering wheel remotes, and should be connected to RC-A and RC-B, together with ground.

There will not be a standard signal for reverse in your car, this is normally supplied via the CAN bus, via an adapter.
If you do not have/use a CAN adapter, you could get the signal from the rear reverse lights of the car.

Re Booster in, I made a mistake, this is a signal for the original radio to indicate the car has BOSE. Not needed for your radio.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do NOT connect Booster in and AUT/ANT wires to +12 ....
AUT/ANT should be an OUTPUT signal from your radio, that gives a +12 volt signal when you switch on the radio. Should be indicated in your radio manual. This is used for the radio antenna amplifier,

Key 1 and KEY 2 should be the inputs on your radio for the steering wheel remotes, and should be connected to RC-A and RC-B, together with ground.

There will not be a standard signal for reverse in your car, this is normally supplied via the CAN bus, via an adapter.
If you do not have/use a CAN adapter, you could get the signal from the rear reverse lights of the car.

Re Booster in, I made a mistake, this is a signal for the original radio to indicate the car has BOSE. Not needed for your radio.
Now I do not need to connect the BOOSTER IN and the CANBUS wires. But if I do not connect the BOOSTER IN wire do I have the Bose Mode enabled?

It is only the AUT/ANT wire, the wires for the steering wheel and the reverse wire which I still need to connect.

I tried to connect the steering wires and the ground wire but unfortunately I cannot make the buttons work. There is a tab in the settings where I can program what each button does. Does it matter which wire goes to RC-A and RC-B?

For the AUT/ANT wire if you look at the wiring schematic in the link it says that the wire for the AUT/ANT is BLUE/WHITE but I do not have such a wire. I have only a BLUE wire which goes to the amplifier.

Actually when I counted the wires on the plug, there are 18 wires and two holes are empty. While on the radio itself there are 20 pins.

Is it fine if I connect the AUT/ANT wire to the ignition key wire? Therefore when I switch the ignition key on the radio will switch on and a +12V signal will be present on the AUT/ANT wire.

In your post you proposed that I can connect the reverse wire to the reverse lights which switch on when the reverse gear is on. Can you explain how can I do the connection?

·
Premium Member
7,328 Posts
I tried to connect the steering wires and the ground wire but unfortunately I cannot make the buttons work. There is a tab in the settings where I can program what each button does. Does it matter which wire goes to RC-A and RC-B?

For the AUT/ANT wire if you look at the wiring schematic in the link it says that the wire for the AUT/ANT is BLUE/WHITE but I do not have such a wire. I have only a BLUE wire which goes to the amplifier.

Actually when I counted the wires on the plug, there are 18 wires and two holes are empty. While on the radio itself there are 20 pins.

Is it fine if I connect the AUT/ANT wire to the ignition key wire? Therefore when I switch the ignition key on the radio will switch on and a +12V signal will be present on the AUT/ANT wire.

In your post you proposed that I can connect the reverse wire to the reverse lights which switch on when the reverse gear is on. Can you explain how can I do the connection?
re RC-A and RC-B, in principle it doesn't matter, it's just the left and right button clusters on the steering wheel. Don't know ofhand which is left and which is right. But if you need to program them on your radio anyway, it wouldn't matter ;). Make sure you also connect the common ground wire in the yellow plug (grey-green-black on your radio)

Re the Bose, there should be a wire "Booster" in the yellow connector, which needs a +12 to switch on the AMP. (use aut/ant output on radio)

you can connect the aut/ant wire in the car wiring loom to a switched +12, but you might as well connect it to the aut/ant output on your radio. This would mean you have 2 wires connected to the aut/ant output on your new radio, being the wire to the bose amp in the yellow connector (switch on signal for bose amp) and the original aut/amp wire in the wiring loom of your car to power the radio antenna amp. Looking at your link, I guess the aut/ant output of your radio would be the blue wire, labeled amplifier control...This should give a +12 when you switch on the radio.

re reverse, it's a matter of finding the wire, can't help you there. Worst case you have to pull a new wire from the reverse light in the rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
re RC-A and RC-B, in principle it doesn't matter, it's just the left and right button clusters on the steering wheel. Don't know ofhand which is left and which is right. But if you need to program them on your radio anyway, it wouldn't matter ;). Make sure you also connect the common ground wire in the yellow plug (grey-green-black on your radio)

Re the Bose, there should be a wire "Booster" in the yellow connector, which needs a +12 to switch on the AMP. (use aut/ant output on radio)

you can connect the aut/ant wire in the car wiring loom to a switched +12, but you might as well connect it to the aut/ant output on your radio. This would mean you have 2 wires connected to the aut/ant output on your new radio, being the wire to the bose amp in the yellow connector (switch on signal for bose amp) and the original aut/amp wire in the wiring loom of your car to power the radio antenna amp. Looking at your link, I guess the aut/ant output of your radio would be the blue wire, labeled amplifier control...This should give a +12 when you switch on the radio.

re reverse, it's a matter of finding the wire, can't help you there. Worst case you have to pull a new wire from the reverse light in the rear.
My wiring diagram is a bit different than the one on your picture.

I have an YELLOW, GREEN, BLUE and BLACK plugs.

There is nothing connected to the BLUE plug.

On the YELLOW plug I have only the BOOSTER pin for switching the amplifier on which I connected to the BLUE wire(amplifier control) of the new radio. (there is no common ground in the YELLOW plug)

On the BLACK plug I have an additional pin next to the BOOSTER IN on the left which is labelled as NC but it is ignition wire there.

You suggested that I do NOT connect BOOSTER IN wire but do I have the Bose Mode enabled?

On the GREEN plug I have the RC-A and RC-B and the common ground is in between them. This is the ground which I use for the steering wheel. I checked the voltage between RC-A and RC-B and ground. It is around 3.3V.

Therefore you suggest that I should connect the AUT/ANT wire and the BOOSTER wire(in the YELLOW plug) to amplifier control wire(BLUE wire from the link) of the new radio.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,328 Posts
My wiring diagram is a bit different than the one on your picture.

1 You suggested that I do NOT connect BOOSTER IN wire but do I have the Bose Mode enabled?

2 On the GREEN plug I have the RC-A and RC-B and the common ground is in between them. This is the ground which I use for the steering wheel. I checked the voltage between RC-A and RC-B and ground. It is around 3.3V.

3 Therefore you suggest that I should connect the AUT/ANT wire and the BOOSTER wire(in the YELLOW plug) to amplifier control wire(BLUE wire from the link) of the new radio.
re 1, the booster in wire in the black connector is something specific to the standard Alfa radio's. It switches the speaker outputs to line outputs on the Alfa radio, for use in the Bose setup. This is something very specific to the standard Alfa radio's, no other radio's have this, so yes, leave unconnected
re 2, should work. voltage around 3.3 volt is normal (will vary slightly as you press different buttons.) The buttons form a simple voltage devider resistance network per button cluster

re 3, yes. The blue wire should give a 12V signal as soon as you switch on the radio, so perfect for switching on the Bose amp, and radio antenna amp. The bose wire in the yellow connector is the trigger input for the Bose amp. The wire in the carloom side originally connected to AUTO/ANT on the standard radio supplies power to the antenna amp.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Oh dear! That's poor aftersales service. :disappointed:

In general:

- use a matching ISO plug that fits to the Alfa (speakerwire) plug, with 8 wires (positive/negative for front right (FR), FL, RR, RL)
- you might find/buy such a plug with wires that have free ends (ie: nothing attached) or one with another plug on the end which you can cut off
- 4 male RCA terminals: when bought loose, these typical unscrew apart to access the inside to join your wires; you may need to avoid 'long' terminals because they may stick out too far and prevent the radio from fitting back into the dash flush
- the 'pin' of each RCA is the positive terminal; the 'outer rim' is the negative
- for example: FR connection: solder the positive wire (usually grey) to the pin terminal; solder the negative wire (usually grey with black stripe) to the outer terminal

Do it neatly and securely. You obviously require the necessary tools/items, which include a soldering iron, solder, wire cutting and stripping tools/utility knife, holding tools, ideally use heatshrink inside the RCA terminals.

:)
It's about time, but I've finally found a PC2-36-AMPR adapter, probably the last one on the Internet!

I've also managed to deal with the seller in a way that he had to take in charge the exchange. But that was a several months-long fight…
Now it is only a matter of days to have a proper working installation!

·
Registered
6 Posts
re 1, the booster in wire in the black connector is something specific to the standard Alfa radio's. It switches the speaker outputs to line outputs on the Alfa radio, for use in the Bose setup. This is something very specific to the standard Alfa radio's, no other radio's have this, so yes, leave unconnected
re 2, should work. voltage around 3.3 volt is normal (will vary slightly as you press different buttons.) The buttons form a simple voltage devider resistance network per button cluster

re 3, yes. The blue wire should give a 12V signal as soon as you switch on the radio, so perfect for switching on the Bose amp, and radio antenna amp. The bose wire in the yellow connector is the trigger input for the Bose amp. The wire in the carloom side originally connected to AUTO/ANT on the standard radio supplies power to the antenna amp.
Thank you for your help.

I just connected the AUT/ANT and the BOOSTER wire to the BLUE wire from the new radio.

What should be the difference now when I have the AUT/ANT wire connected?

The steering wheel buttons still do not work but I think the buttons have to be changed since on the old CD they did not work as well.

·
Premium Member
7,328 Posts
Thank you for your help.

I just connected the AUT/ANT and the BOOSTER wire to the BLUE wire from the new radio.

What should be the difference now when I have the AUT/ANT wire connected?

The steering wheel buttons still do not work but I think the buttons have to be changed since on the old CD they did not work as well.
Radio reception should be better/stronger (and of course Bose/sound should switch on with the radio....)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Radio reception should be better/stronger (and of course Bose/sound should switch on with the radio....)
Yesterday we found out how to program the steering wheel buttons and now they work. I have to change only the left side buttons.

How can I be sure that the Bose sound is working?

·
Premium Member
7,328 Posts
Yesterday we found out how to program the steering wheel buttons and now they work. I have to change only the left side buttons.

How can I be sure that the Bose sound is working?
You either have sound from the speakers (Bose working), or you don't ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there I was reading through your thread and it was very details I was hoping you could offer some good advice as I struggled taking everything in. I have a 2012 mito and want to replace my head unit, I brought Sony DSX-A210UI Car Stereo but it will not power on. I have the harness that connects my current plugs to my new stereo but this still will not work. Your help would be must appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,328 Posts
Hi there I was reading through your thread and it was very details I was hoping you could offer some good advice as I struggled taking everything in. I have a 2012 mito and want to replace my head unit, I brought Sony DSX-A210UI Car Stereo but it will not power on. I have the harness that connects my current plugs to my new stereo but this still will not work. Your help would be must appreciated.
I think best place to start is check if you actually have power on your new radio. If you look at the radio, on the ISA A connector, A4 should be permanent +12, (yellow wire radio?), A7 should be ignition switched +12 (red wire radio?)
You can check using either a multimeter, or simply a 12v testlight.....

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I was wondering if you can help me with the pink (speed pulse input) wire on a Kenwood Head unit. Being installed in a 159. Would you know where i connect this to? Thank you

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have aftermarket headunit Mekede MKD-188L (Android 8.1) and following problem: after turning the key to ON position Android starts from beginning (with full initialisation) and this needs time adjustment.
Is it possible to reconnect some cables for achievement of "key ON wake up" from standby mode of Mekede device (as in case of smartphones)?
Btw, wheel commands (SWC) and other things works fine.

·
Premium Member
7,328 Posts
I have aftermarket headunit Mekede MKD-188L (Android 8.1) and following problem: after turning the key to ON position Android starts from beginning (with full initialisation) and this needs time adjustment.
Is it possible to reconnect some cables for achievement of "key ON wake up" from standby mode of Mekede device (as in case of smartphones)?
Btw, wheel commands (SWC) and other things works fine.
I would check to make sure the permanent +12 Volt connection on the radio (Yellow wire) is actually connected to permanent +12, and NOT switched +12 (switched +12 should be connected to red wire)
It sounds as though yellow wire is connected to switched +12 (ISO A4 & A7)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Reactions: jwq
581 - 600 of 643 Posts