Alfa Romeo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
When guys replaced radio (was MV059 firmware, new MV080 so required updates in theory) in my 10 Apr 2018 built car in late Feb 2019, I had already required BSM firmware (from factory at ver 8401) and AMP, IPC and BCM update shown in Dec 2018 and got these as well before radio change. Radio was fitted, all was working fine. Then I read service news about need of updating the modules. I checked with MES< and identified that my PAM/LBSS/RBSS are not at versions required by service news. However all worked fine.

I checked with MES on my Giulia the module PAM, software version 0800. Now my ETM software is 056.000.007, can I upgrade to 085.000.046?

·
Premium Member
7,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
thanks. I tried using the stick again but the system won't respond to anything. I'll try the battery disconnection in the morning. I fear the battery will be flat by then though.
I'd make doubly sure you have everything correct, so format the USB stick as NTFS on windows PC, Download 002.009.055 (M86.zip), unzip and place unzipped files in root of USB (no other files, no directories)
Also make sure you ONLY have the update stick inserted, no other devices in any of the other USB ports.
Ignition on, start/stop off.

Should work, not heard of anyone ever having problems, but I guess it's always possible ......
As suggested, try full reset by disconnecting ground on battery for hour or so.

Upon reconnecting, you will probably need to re-initialise steering (with contact on, turn steering full lock 1 way, then full lock other way)
Also you might get errors that should reset after 5 starts....

PS don't recognise the image mentioned on your picture.... The files I get:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I checked with MES on my Giulia the module PAM, software version 0800. Now my ETM software is 056.000.007, can I upgrade to 085.000.046?
In theory you need to make sure the software of the mentioned modules is up-to-date, or you're upgrading from 072.x.x
However, a number of people have successfully upgraded from 056.x.x without any problems, see previous posts.
Up to you though ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd make doubly sure you have everything correct, so format the USB stick as NTFS on windows PC, Download 002.009.055 (M86.zip), unzip and place unzipped files in root of USB (no other files, no directories)
Also make sure you ONLY have the update stick inserted, no other devices in any of the other USB ports.

Should work, not heard of anyone ever having problems, but I guess it's always possible ......

Upon reconnecting, you will probably need to re-initialise steering (with contact on, turn steering full lock 1 way, then full lock other way)

I have now disconnected the battery and reconnected it after 2 hours (had to figure out how to get the boot lid open having closed it after disconnecting the battery!) and I still get the same screen message and can't get the system to respond to a new stick.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Got a new stick, formatted for NTFS.
Sorted!
Must have been a problem with the other stick.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Just to confirm, I have literally just completed update to *.55, as per this thread, with no issues.
Although still a long way from state of the art, my SatNav does seem slightly improved after the last update, but it's still slow and clunky and compared to others I've had, I still don't like it much. I've just spent a few days in Berlin, not wanting to find my way around the city in the Giulia, I left it in the hotel garage and relied on taxis, all new E Class Mercedes, just like my own previous car in fact, but the latest MB SatNavs are amazing, probably Garmin like my slightly earlier ones. A 12" screen, and the graphics are so good, it's almost like watching a movie, the effect can be quite distracting I think until you get used to it.

Being sensibly safety conscious, I'm always quick to switch on dipped headlights when it's raining or daytime visibility is bad. Of course, the Screen then always goes into night mode, which makes it hard to read when it's still fairly light outside. Any solutions? Is there any way of keeping the screen in day mode when you're running on dipped heads?

·
Premium Member
7,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Being sensibly safety conscious, I'm always quick to switch on dipped headlights when it's raining or daytime visibility is bad. Of course, the Screen then always goes into night mode, which makes it hard to read when it's still fairly light outside. Any solutions? Is there any way of keeping the screen in day mode when you're running on dipped heads?
I know you can force a switch to night or day mode, perhaps that works.....

"Appearance": allows you to set the
map display mode. The possible options
are: "Display options": the display modes
are: “2D”, “Aerial view” or “3D with details;
“Map POI” (the available options are:
“Select all” or “Select none”); “Route Bar”
(the available options are: "Fuel Stations",
"Parking", "Stops", "Route Alternatives",
"Exits and junctions", "Rest areas",
"Ferry-boats" or "Tolls"; "Colour schemes"
(the available options are: “Day”; “Night”
or “Auto”)
; “Expressway exit preview” (the
available options are: “on” or “off”);
"Automatic zoom on turn" (the available
options are: “Off”, “Speed dependant”
or “Next command”).

·
Registered
363 Posts
I know you can force a switch to night or day mode, perhaps that works.....

"Appearance": allows you to set the
map display mode. The possible options
are: "Display options": the display modes
are: “2D”, “Aerial view” or “3D with details;
“Map POI” (the available options are:
“Select all” or “Select none”); “Route Bar”
(the available options are: "Fuel Stations",
"Parking", "Stops", "Route Alternatives",
"Exits and junctions", "Rest areas",
"Ferry-boats" or "Tolls"; "Colour schemes"
(the available options are: “Day”; “Night”
or “Auto”)
; “Expressway exit preview” (the
available options are: “on” or “off”);
"Automatic zoom on turn" (the available
options are: “Off”, “Speed dependant”
or “Next command”).
Thanks for all that Jan W, I went into "appearance" and found that the map was set to "auto", probably the default setting on new cars. I changed this to "day", and although I haven't driven the car since, it seems it may work, the normal daytime SatNav looks exactly the same as before, but if I switch on dipped heads, the display stays the same but dims a little, nothing like the precious "night" display, where all but the roads was almost black, OK at night I suppose, but not much use on a dull day, full appraisal will have to wait until I drive somewhere at night.

Isn't this forum great? There's not a word on anything like this in the car's handbook etc, and dealers are never much help, they rarely know any more than I do on things like this. Since this is the infotainment updates thread, there's something else that I think is worth passing on, it seems to me that the POI info is very seriously flawed, and I'm wondering it this section ever gets looked at, never mind updated. About 11 years ago, I bought a new 159 from a nearby Alfa dealer called Meridien. They weren't very good, but how many Alfa dealers are? Roughly 10 years ago they lost the franchise to local Westover Group, who supplied my current Giulia, though they were taken over earlier this year by Hendy, another large multi-dealership group. If I go to POI to look for Alfa dealers, it tells me that Meridien are still the local franchised dealership, though they closed many years ago, and their old place has been converted to furnishings of some kind, no mention anywhere in POI of Westover or Hendy, even though they've been the sole local Alfa dealer for at least 10 years. Our main use of the POI feature is for finding hotels and restaurants, we've drawn a few blanks there as well, and it makes me wonder if TomTom ever change anything with updates, beyond minor features on the maps.

·
Premium Member
7,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
....., and it makes me wonder if TomTom ever change anything with updates, beyond minor features on the maps.
I know that in the early days, Alfa reduced the number of POI's significantly for some reason. Maybe something to do with the size of the database.....
I also have a stand-alone TomTom, and there the poi's (and maps) are regularly updated and expanded, so I think it's more a problem of Alfa....
Of course the stand-alone TomTom's also work with realtime traffic, user map updates etc., never understood why Alfa took a step back with the navi.

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/car-sat-nav/

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I know that in the early days, Alfa reduced the number of POI's significantly for some reason. Maybe something to do with the size of the database.....
I also have a stand-alone TomTom, and there the poi's (and maps) are regularly updated and expanded, so I think it's more a problem of Alfa....
Of course the stand-alone TomTom's also work with realtime traffic, user map updates etc., never understood why Alfa took a step back with the navi.

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/car-sat-nav/

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/
I upgraded my 2017 car and the sat nav works just like my stand-alone Tom-Tom in my guilietta, live traffic updates etc, road works like its got a life time data SIM, it doesn't ask if mobile speed cameras are still there though?

·
Premium Member
7,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I upgraded my 2017 car and the sat nav works just like my stand-alone Tom-Tom in my guilietta, live traffic updates etc, road works like its got a life time data SIM, it doesn't ask if mobile speed cameras are still there though?
the giulia uses rds/tmc for traffic updates, which is inferior to real-time traffic updates that use location information from mobile providers....Coverage of this f.i. is much better, as are response times.
Giulia infotainment has no wireless connectivity.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
the giulia uses rds/tmc for traffic updates, which is inferior to real-time traffic updates that use location information from mobile providers....Coverage of this f.i. is much better, as are response times.
Giulia infotainment has no wireless connectivity.
Thanks for the gentle let down! As a newbie it does look so similar for someone who has an accessory that makes an in car feature look the same.

Also did the upgrade to the new map last night and alls well. Danke val !

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've downloaded version .56 to update this weekend as I'm running 0.51 and have noticed you said to copy only the .bin and .xml file across to the external drive. There is a third file that is a bin.md5, I wanted to check that I do not need to copy the bin.md5 file across as well??????

·
Premium Member
7,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I've downloaded version .56 to update this weekend as I'm running 0.51 and have noticed you said to copy only the .bin and .xml file across to the external drive. There is a third file that is a bin.md5, I wanted to check that I do not need to copy the bin.md5 file across as well??????
Just unzip all files, and place them on USB stick, so 3 in total for 056.x.x......

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
Once you get used to google maps and how quick and mostly accurate the live traffic is, I don't see why I will ever use the built in sat nav. I have not updated it in more than 2 years.

61 - 80 of 290 Posts