Alfa Romeo Forum banner

561 - 580 of 635 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hi, thanks for the fast reply!

I haven't tested it on different cars, since the Giulia is my first car. I have tried with a Xiaomi 9T Pro (Android Version 10) and a Samsung Galaxy S10 (Android Version 9). Both are on german settings and my google account is also tied to Germany. None of these phones worked. The only option left is to try another USB cable, i have tested with 2 different cables, but it seems that none of these are original cables. I'll buy one in the next hours and will try again.

Ah, one information left: In the infotainment system, there is not even the Android Auto available as a selection option. But it should be there right?
Android 9 phones requires to install Android Auto from Google Play, Android 10 should have AA built in - not sure though if that needs to be in any way enabled in the phone settings etc - my phone is Android 9. In Germany you should have AA available in Google Play, only some countries (e.g. Poland), still no official AA support, so it does not show in Play shop and needs to be installed manually by downloading apk file - thats why I asked, but not appleis to you.

AA in menu apears only when you connect phone and establish AA connection, when you jump back from AA to main menu - normaly goes off the list. Only trace that you have AA in your car is one of settings I think colour schema to select (can't remember where in settings, have a look, but MY2020 all cars shoudl have AA/ACP as far as it seems to me)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Android 9 phones requires to install Android Auto from Google Play, Android 10 should have AA built in - not sure though if that needs to be in any way enabled in the phone settings etc - my phone is Android 9. In Germany you should have AA available in Google Play, only some countries (e.g. Poland), still no official AA support, so it does not show in Play shop and needs to be installed manually by downloading apk file - thats why I asked, but not appleis to you.

AA in menu apears only when you connect phone and establish AA connection, when you jump back from AA to main menu - normaly goes off the list. Only trace that you have AA in your car is one of settings I think colour schema to select (can't remember where in settings, have a look, but MY2020 all cars shoudl have AA/ACP as far as it seems to me)
Yeah right, AA was on my Xiaomi already, and on the Galaxy I had to install it. When connecting, it just shows the connection option, but AA wasnt popping up on the display.

Ah thanks for the information, now I know that its not missing. I will try with a new USB-C cable and hope that it works. Thanks again for the fast responses :)

·
Premium Member
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #563
re maps, are you sure you currenty don't have maps installed ? If your car is equiped with the navigation option, it should have an initial map set.
The message you get on the map update site could mean 2 things: 1) there have been some problems lately with the site, hopefully resolved now, or 2) there are no newer maps for your car then what is assumed to be currently installed in your car,
If you really don't have any maps, I would get the dealer to solve it in your case, as it is a new car ;)

·
Premium Member
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #565
Today I had upgrade to 002_010_041
I repute there are 3 files in this packet 🤣

It’s so nice 👍🏻
Thanks bro 😎
yep, you only need the 2 files, as with all the other updates ....;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
re maps, are you sure you currenty don't have maps installed ? If your car is equiped with the navigation option, it should have an initial map set.
The message you get on the map update site could mean 2 things: 1) there have been some problems lately with the site, hopefully resolved now, or 2) there are no newer maps for your car then what is assumed to be currently installed in your car,
If you really don't have any maps, I would get the dealer to solve it in your case, as it is a new car ;)
Yes it should be. As far as I can tell, the infotainment seems like its missing something. I will have to ask the dealer about that.

I just bought a new Samsung USB-C cable, it still wont start AA. Im really not sure what the problem is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update to 002.010.041, new features are bigger reversing camera screen if you have 8.8" display, different colour schema on navigation, and plenty of bug fixes/improvements which you not necessary notice. it won't do AA/ACP
Updated from 002.009.043 to 002.010.041 (6.5” 2017 Giulia). One significant improvement: address voice entry for navigation now works. Not as good as Siri, but it does work.

·
Premium Member
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #568
Updated from 002.009.043 to 002.010.041 (6.5” 2017 Giulia). One significant improvement: address voice entry for navigation now works. Not as good as Siri, but it does work.
You'll also find the picture for the backup camera is bigger, amongst other less visible things:
edit: Sorry, just noticed you have the 6.5" screen, probably the backup camera thing then doesn't apply for you :(

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
....Thanks again for your help and advice.:thumbu p:
once again thank you for collating these software updates - just gone to 002.010.041, user manual next. This would never have happened without your research and effort

Reactions: jwq

·
Premium Member
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #570
once again thank you for collating these software updates - just gone to 002.010.041, user manual next. This would never have happened without your research and effort
you're welcome, glad I could help ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Remark: Updated version , date 16 November 2020

Information on updating maps and software for Giulia/stelvio infotainment system

Note that systems and software are same for giulia and stelvio, so same procedures apply.

There are currently 2 hardware versions of the infotainment hardware covered here, one from approx 2017 and earlier (old system), the other (newer) introduced since then (intro new around Nov '17 Europe, July '17 USA). Maps for these two systems are the same, other then distinction between 8.8" maps and 6.5" maps for Europe. Correct maps will automatically be presented on map download site based on entered VIN

Note: Completely different are the latest MY20 2020 facelift model(s) having different hardware again, so different firmware, as well as maps.
The following descriptions here concern the 2017-1019 systems, 2020 systems and later are (not yet?) covered..
So take note that "old" and "new" systems in the following text relate to the 2017-2019 models, not the latest MY20 model.

The functionality of the 2 original systems is the same, but they use different processors and internal circuitry, and so require different firmware.
The new system appears to be about twice as fast as the old system.
Another difference is that new systems can have Apple Carplay/Android Auto, old systems are not capable of this.

Easy way to see which system you have is by looking at the firmware version via the system menu.
<settings> <system> <software update> <current version>
The "old" firmware is numbered 001.xxx.xxx, 002.xxx.xxx etc., the "new" system is numbered with higher numbers in front, such as 051.xxx.xxx, 056.xxx.xxx etc.
Starting with 056.xxx.xxx support for AA/ACP was added (though not automatically activated).
The firmware versions cannot be exchanged, so for firmware updates the correct series software for the installed hardware must be used. The system checks for compatibility at update.

Initialy firmware versions were available as download from Alfa for updating, however, at some point Alfa closed this update path. There are however still early versions circulating on the internet. A number of these were collected and are available via the bottom on this posting.
Official update route for firmware is via the dealer, maps via user.

Latest version for the old hardware (in Europe & NAFTA) is currently 002.010.041. For Australia (new Zealand?) there is a 002.009.056 version that solves the voice recognition problem they had (now also 002.009.061?). For Nafta there is a version 002.009.059, which solves reboot issues with satelite receiver. Note both these last versions are not compatible with Europe.
Early versions such as 001.xxx.xxx were not yet suited for user map updates, and require updating to at least 002.xxx.xxx to enable map updates.

Firmware for new hardware is still continuously evolving (situation beginning 2020) ....
One of the early versions was 051.xxx.xxx, other versions (examples) 056.000.007, 072.001.002, 081.000.004, 085.000.046, 090.000.061, 119.001.009 etc.
Apparently updating past 072.xxx.xxx from earlier versions to later also requires checking if following modules are at sufficient software version, and these might require updating.
  • AMP (Amplifier HiFi system)
  • BSM (Brake System Module)
  • IPC (Instrument Panel Cluseter)
  • PAM (Parking Assist Module)
  • LBSS/RBSS (Blind Spot Sensors)
  • BCM (Body Computer Module)
This needs to be done by dealer as this requires the dealer tool Witech2. See also info file 085 update.pdf in the downloads.

Map updates (in Europe) can be downloaded from the Mopar website after registering, as they require a license file for installation, based on the VIN of the car.
Since July 2020 there is also a NAFTA FCA website for NAFTA map downloads. On this site select "3D CONNECT NAV" for early models, and "3D CONNECT NAV MY20" for the new facelift 2020 models.

Officialy maps are free the first 3 years after car registration. After this period you can buy an extension for an additional 3 years via the dealer.
Original supplier of the maps is TomTom, new maps come out every 3 months. There is a difference in maps for the 6.5" systems and 8.8" systems, the correct (latest) map for your car should automatically be presented on the Mopar site upon registering with your VIN.

Update procedures:

Firmware
Note that firmware versions in principle do not need to be loaded sequentially. You can directly load the required (most recent) version.

Preparation
Format a 16 GB USB stick (max 64 GB) as NTFS. Note that MacOS extended, as mentioned as option for map updates, seems to give more problems with firmware updates, so Windows NTFS is recomended for firmware updates.
Download the correct version for the installed infotainment hardware. This is usually zipped.
Unzip the file, this should give a .bin file, a .xml file and possibly a .md5 file.
  • place all unzipped files on root of USB stick
  • place stick in USB port car. Don't use usb port in rear, as this is power only
  • make sure there are no other devices in any of the other USB ports
  • start engine and switch off auto start/stop, do not drive.
  • select <settings> <system> <software update> <update software>
  • update should start, takes approx 15 minutes. System will reboot once or twice during update, internal fan will switch on
  • after completion, remove usb stick
Maps
Note that map versions in principle do not need to be loaded sequentially. You can directly load the required (most recent) version.

Preparation
Format a 16 GB USB stick (max 64 GB) as NTFS. On Apple it seems MacOS extended (journaled) also works for maps.
If first time in Europe, create an account on Mopar website. Download license file and map file
Download sites for MAP files:
Europe: maps.mopar.eu
or
NAFTA: Maps FCA NAFTA
This should give 2 files, a .dct file (license) and a .bin file (map)
  • place the 2 files on root of USB stick
  • place stick in USB port car. Don't use usb port in rear, as this is power only
  • make sure there are no other devices in any of the other USB ports
  • start engine, switch off auto start/stop
  • select <settings> <system> <maps update>
  • update should start, takes approx 70 minutes on "old" hardware, 30 minutes on "new".
Note: the system will tell you it will take much longer, this is incorrect though, the above times are approx correct
Update should be started whilst car is stationary. After update starts to run, car can be driven during update. Do not switch off engine during the update, as this will cancel the update.
- after completion, remove usb stick
===============

Special remarks on early version 001.xxx.xxx firmware
001 was the first version of the infotainment firmware for the "old" system.
This did/does not support user updates of the maps via USB yet, it does however support firmware updates via USB.
To be able to use the option to update maps, and solve a number of bugs, it is recommended to update to the last version 002.010.041.
Also note the navigation was improved with version 002.
This update can be done with the standard procedure above. However, updating from 001.xxx.xxx will delete the existing installed maps and possibly onboard manual. This is not a problem, as after the update to 002.xxx.xxx you can subsequently install the latest maps, and if required, the onboard manual. Just takes a bit more work first time ;)

=============== DOWNLOADS ===============

Unofficial download location 002.009.055:
M86.zip

Unofficial download location 002.009.059:
M88_U2_17094C_19034A_GU_MY18.zip

Unofficial download location 002.010.041:
ETM_SW-002.010.041.zip
Relevant Service News File:
ETM_MV_002.010.041.pdf

Unofficial download location 056.000.007:
A56.zip

Unofficial download location 085.000.046 :
A85.zip
Relevant Service news file:
info file 085 update.pdf

Unofficial download location 090.000.061 :
ETM_SW_A90.zip
Relevant Service news file:
MV_090.000.061.pdf

Unofficial download location onboard manual M72
M72.zip
Note: not sure if the manual will install, as according to enclosed config file it's originally for firmware 002.009.047 and has an expiration date of 2018-12-31
Additional note: A workaround for the above has been found by "fooling" the system as follows:

• disable time/date GPS update in system setting of infotainment
    • manually set date/time to an earlier date then 2018-12-31, f.i. June 2018 (example)
    • Perform the update
    • upon completion re-enable GPS time/date
===============
info 002.009.055
service bulletin 08-002-18

info 002.010.041:
ETM_MV_002.010.041.pdf

info 002.009.059
service bulletin 08-013-19
Hi, I followed the procedure to update the infotainment system on my 2018 Stelvio, going from version 002.009.43 to 002.009.059, and now my infotainment system is completely dead (black screen). I have tried to push the volume button (for a long period) to turn it on and that does not work. Nothing shows on the screen no matter which button I press. I tried to disconnect the battery for a few minutes as well and that did not turn it back on either. There is also a fan noise that keeps going on and off all the time. Can anybody help me get infotainment system back on? I tried inserting the usb flash drive with another version on and nothing happens.

Also a note that I followed the full instructions. I put the USB drive before turning the engine on...however, different from the instructions, the blue update screen appeared automatically without having to go in settings/system/software update. The % was going up until the blue screen disappeared and the black screen was there for a good 30 minutes before I turned the engine off.

Thanks for your help, any suggestions might help!

·
Premium Member
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #572 (Edited)
Haven't heard that before.....
You could try disconnecting battery to force a reset. You mentioned doing that for a few minutes, but you would need to disconnect for at least 15~30 minutes, for all residual power to disperse.
After that you will probably need to reset. With car on level surface, rotate steeringwheel full left and full right. You might also get some error lights, that should dissapear after a couple of starts
Also I assume you removed the USB stick after the update....
(ps the fan noise is normal during the update)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Haven't heard that before.....
You could try disconnecting battery to force a reset. You mentioned doing that for a few minutes, but you would need to disconnect for at least 15~30 minutes, for all residual power to disperse.
After that you will probably need to reset. With car on level surface, rotate steeringwheel full left and full right. You might also get some error lights, that should dissapear after a couple of starts
Also I assume you removed the USB stick after the update....
(ps the fan noise is normal during the update)
Thanks for the quick response Jwq. I tried disconnecting the battery again for a good 30 minutes. All the warning lights are effectively flashing. I rotated the steeringwheel full left and full right (Am I supposed to notice anything after doing the rotation? I didn't notice anything). And yes I did remove the USB stick after the update.

Here are a couple videos of what I see on the driver screen right now and also the fan noise. The fan noise continues even after shutting down the engine.

Note that I drove the vehicles for only a few minutes after that. The lights are still flashing and the main screen is still black. The temperature control is working correctly (heated steering wheel and climate)

Let me know if there is anything else I can try. Otherwise I will have to bring it to the dealership...

·
Premium Member
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #574
re the steering, after disconnecting the battery it needs to be reinitialised as you probably get a warning on the dash. From the manual:

IMPORTANT If the battery was
disconnected, do not start the engine
immediately after reconnecting the
terminals, but press the start button,
without operating the pedals, to turn on
the instrument panel and then start the
engine. The symbol on the instrument
panel will remain on, indicating that the
steering must be initialised. To do this,
turn the steering wheel from one end to
the other and bring it back to the centre
position within 30 seconds from starting
the engine. If any red warning lights on
the instrument panel remain lit, stop the
engine, wait for at least 5 seconds and
repeat the starting procedure described
above.

Re the infotainment, I don't have any suggestions offhand, you're the first one I heard of with this problem. Maybe @epsonix has a suggestion, as I think he has updated a number of systems ;)
Only suggestion I could have is try update again, maybe with 002.010.041, strictly following procedure , so Format USB stick of MAX 64 Gb under Windows as NTFS, only put the 2 update files on stick, no directories, place in front USB port, start engine. Update will/should start automatically....
Maybe to be sure use a different USB stick
I assume you followed the recommended procedure first time (engine running, start/stop disabled, start update, wait for completion)

It could of course be that there is a problem with your infotainment system, but it would be a big coincidence.

·
Registered
5 Posts
re the steering, after disconnecting the battery it needs to be reinitialised as you probably get a warning on the dash. From the manual:

IMPORTANT If the battery was
disconnected, do not start the engine
immediately after reconnecting the
terminals, but press the start button,
without operating the pedals, to turn on
the instrument panel and then start the
engine. The symbol on the instrument
panel will remain on, indicating that the
steering must be initialised. To do this,
turn the steering wheel from one end to
the other and bring it back to the centre
position within 30 seconds from starting
the engine. If any red warning lights on
the instrument panel remain lit, stop the
engine, wait for at least 5 seconds and
repeat the starting procedure described
above.

Re the infotainment, I don't have any suggestions offhand, you're the first one I heard of with this problem. Maybe @epsonix has a suggestion, as I think he has updated a number of systems ;)
Only suggestion I could have is try update again, maybe with 002.010.041, strictly following procedure , so Format USB stick of MAX 64 Gb under Windows as NTFS, only put the 2 update files on stick, no directories, place in front USB port, start engine. Update will/should start automatically....
Maybe to be sure use a different USB stick
I assume you followed the recommended procedure first time (engine running, start/stop disabled, start update, wait for completion)

It could of course be that there is a problem with your infotainment system, but it would be a big coincidence.
Thanks for the info regarding the battery and steering wheel, at least I was able to get rid of all the alerts. I tried to do the update again but nothing is happening at all after 10 minutes of letting the engine run with the USB plugged in. I will resort to bring it to the dealership in the next few days. Will let you know what the outcome is!

·
Premium Member
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #576
Thanks for the info regarding the battery and steering wheel, at least I was able to get rid of all the alerts. I tried to do the update again but nothing is happening at all after 10 minutes of letting the engine run with the USB plugged in. I will resort to bring it to the dealership in the next few days. Will let you know what the outcome is!
OK, too bad.
Will be interesting to hear whats up ....

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK, too bad.
Will be interesting to hear whats up ....
Update: I brought the car to the dealership 2 days ago, and I just picked up the car with a brand new radio this morning. It is now on version 085.000.046 . I can definitely see that the system is much faster. Other than that, I was happy to see that there is an option for visual and sound for blind spot monitoring. However, when I select that option, neither the sound nor the visual works...I have to select visual only and that works ok, but no sound. Anybody knows how to fix that?

And is there any way to have apple car play with the version that I am on currently? Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #578
Update: I brought the car to the dealership 2 days ago, and I just picked up the car with a brand new radio this morning. It is now on version 085.000.046 . I can definitely see that the system is much faster. Other than that, I was happy to see that there is an option for visual and sound for blind spot monitoring. However, when I select that option, neither the sound nor the visual works...I have to select visual only and that works ok, but no sound. Anybody knows how to fix that?

And is there any way to have apple car play with the version that I am on currently? Thanks
Sounds like you lucked out with the infotainment ;)
re blind spot monitoring etc., I could imagine that it also requires software updates of other modules, don't know if they actually did that of course, see f.i.
update.pdf
re ACP/AA, it would require in addition a new USB hub (with 2 ports), and enabeling by dealer, don't know if they will do that though. Other option is to attempt this with MES, there are some DIY's on the forum that involve changing the proxy file ......

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well I took mine to Palmers the other day for maps/manual and firmware update.
I now have MV-002.009.055 🤷‍♂️ No idea if that’s good or bad. 2018 Giulia

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a used Radio on MY18 Giulia,
I forget there is a Security Code in Radio...
How could I passed the code or contact someone?
Thx

561 - 580 of 635 Posts