Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the other thread was getting a bit long, here a condensed version ;)

Updating maps and software for Giulia/stelvio infotainment system

Note that systems and software are same for giulia and stelvio, so same procedures apply.

There are currently 2 hardware versions of the infotainment hardware, one from approx 2017 and earlier (old system), the other (new) introduced since then (intro new around Nov '17 Europe, July '17 USA)
The functionality of the 2 systems is the same, but they use different processors and internal circuitry, and so require different firmware.
The new system appears to be about twice as fast as the old system.
Another difference is that new systems can have Apple Carplay/Android Auto, old systems are not capable of this.

Easy way to see which system you have is by looking at the firmware version via the system menu.
<settings> <system> <software update> <current version>
The "old" firmware is numbered 001.xxx.xxx, 002.xxx.xxx etc., the "new" system is numbered with higher numbers in front, such as 051.xxx.xxx, 056.xxx.xxx etc.
Starting with 056.xxx.xxx support for AA/ACP was added (though not automatically activated).
The firmware versions cannot be exchanged, so for firmware updates the correct series software for the installed hardware must be used.

Initialy firmware versions were available as download from Alfa for updating, however, at some point Alfa closed this update path. There are however still early versions circulating on the internet. Official update route for firmware is via the dealer, maps via user.

Latest version for the old hardware (in Europe) is currently 002.009.055 . For Australia (new Zealand?) there is a 002.009.056 version that solves the voice recognition problem they had (now also 002.009.061?). For Nafta there is a version 002.009.059, which solves reboot issues with satelite receiver. Note both these last versions are not compatible with Europe.
Early versions such as 001.xxx.xxx were not yet suited for user map updates, and require updating to at least 002.xxx.xxx to enable map updates.

Firmware for new hardware is still continuously evolving....
One of the early versions was 051.xxx.xxx, other versions (examples) 056.000.007, 072.001.002, 081.000.004, 085.000.046 etc.
Apparently updating past 072.xxx.xxx from earlier versions to later also requires checking if following modules are at latest software version:
- AMP (Amplifier HiFi system)
- BSM (Brake System Module)
- IPC (Instrument Panel Cluseter)
- PAM (Parking Assist Module)
- LBSS/RBSS (Blind Spot Sensors)
- BCM (Body Computer Module)
This needs to be done by dealer as this requires the dealer tool Witech2

Map updates (in Europe) can be downloaded from the Mopar website, after registering as they are tied to the VIN of the car.
Officialy they are free (at least) the first 3 years after car registration.
Original supplier of the maps is TomTom, new maps come out every 3 months.

Update procedures:
Firmware
preparation​
Format a 16 Gb USB stick as NTFS. On Apple it seems MacOS Extended (Journaled) also works.
Download the correct version for the installed infotainment hardware. This is usually zipped.
Unzip the file, this should give a .bin file and a .xml file.

- place the 2 files on root of USB stick
- place stick in USB port car. Don't use usb port in rear, as this is power only
- make sure there are no other devices in any of the other USB ports
- start engine, switch off start/stop
- select <settings> <system> <software update> <update software>
- update should start, takes approx 15 minutes. System will reboot once or twice during update
- after completion, remove usb stick

Maps
preparation​
Format a 16 Gb USB stick as NTFS. On Apple it seems Mac OS journaled also works.
If first time, create an account on Mopar website. Download license file and map file
This should give 2 files, a .dct file (license) and a .bin file (map)

- place the 2 files on root of USB stick
- place stick in USB port car. Don't use usb port in rear, as this is power only
- make sure there are no other devices in any of the other USB ports
- start engine, switch off start/stop
- select <settings> <system> <maps update>
- update should start, takes approx 70 minutes on "old" hardware, 30 minutes on "new".
Note: the system will tell you it will take much longer, this is incorrect though, the above times are correct
Update should be started whilst car is stationary. After update starts to run, car can be driven during update. Do not switch off engine during the update, as this will cancel the update.
- after completion, remove usb stick
===============

Special remarks on early version 001.xxx.xxx firmware
001 was the first version of the infotainment firmware for the "old" system.
This did/does not support user updates of the maps via USB yet, it does however support firmware updates via USB.
To be able to use the option to update maps, and solve a number of bugs, it is recommended to update to the last version 002.009.055 (Europe). Also the navigation was improved with version 002.
This update can be done with the standard procedure above. However, updating from 001.xxx.xxx will delete the existing installed maps and possibly onboard manual. This is not a problem, as after the update to 002.xxx.xxx you can subsequently install the latest maps, and if required, the onboard manual. Just takes a bit more work first time ;)

===============
Unofficial download location 002.009.055:
M86.zip

Unofficial download location 056.000.007:
A56.zip

Unofficial download location 085.000.046 (link updated 22/09/19):
A85.zip
Service news file:
info file 085 update.pdf

Unofficial download location onboard manual M72
M72.zip
Note: not sure if the manual will install, as according to enclosed config file it's originally for firmware 002.009.047

===============
info 002.009.055
service bulletin 08-002-18

info 002.009.059
service bulletin 08-013-19

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Hi,
I've just got a 2017 Guilia that I managed to renew the map from the Mopar site but I was wondering if I need to renew the software? You seem to have a bit of a following on here on this subject and I would appreciate your advice?

·
Premium Member
6,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
I've just got a 2017 Guilia that I managed to renew the map from the Mopar site but I was wondering if I need to renew the software? You seem to have a bit of a following on here on this subject and I would appreciate your advice?
depends on what you currently have installed.....
I assume you have the old hardware. In that case it would make sense to update to 002.009.055, if you don't already have it, which would be the latest. But check what firmware you currently have first.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
depends on what you currently have installed.....
I assume you have the old hardware. In that case it would make sense to update to 002.009.055, if you don't already have it, which would be the latest. But check what firmware you currently have first.
Thanks for your reply how do I check that?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
For the 6.5inch SatNav we are still on map 1026... or it is just me :)

·
Premium Member
6,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the 6.5inch SatNav we are still on map 1026... or it is just me :)
Yes, there are numerous compaints ;) , for some reason the 6.5 inch system maps seem to be slow in being published.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, i Just download the 085.000.046 firmware but It was damaged archive... Please send me another archive that function correctly thanks

·
Premium Member
6,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi, i Just download the 085.000.046 firmware but It was damaged archive... Please send me another archive that function correctly thanks
Just found there was a checksum error....
Currently uploading correct version ;)

edit: updated file now available, see post #1 (A85.zip)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello jwq,
My Firmware is 056.000.007.
Last week my Giulia went to the dealership for a service. They did a lot of modul update. I did not see any difference except the IPC modul. The central display has slightly changed.

Hence my question:
If I update to 085.000.046, should they update all the modules again or are they already up-to-date on the latest version?

What major change is there between 056 and 085?

Thank you :)

·
Premium Member
6,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello jwq,
Hence my question:
If I update to 085.000.046, should they update all the modules again or are they already up-to-date on the latest version?

What major change is there between 056 and 085?

Thank you :)
Hi,
Just guessing here of course... Officialy, if you update from 056 to 085, the other modules should also be updated, as for certain functions the infotainment communicates with these. I have no idea if these updates have been done on your system, I would immagine yes, but your guess is as good as mine.....
The service info file gives some info on this and bugs solved:
Service news file:
info file 085 update.pdf

·
Registered
7 Posts
It would also appear that in 085 the picturesize for the rearview camera was increased (just size, not resolution as it's NTSC)

Thx for the download file jwq

I have just installed the 085 (my previous version was 056), and indeed, the size of rearview camera is bigger... great

Two others differences I've seen:

- notification of speed camera's with a beep sound, even if you don't have set a route
- possible to also have a sound notification for the blind spot monitor

·
Premium Member
6,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
personally I would love to have sound notification for blind spot, the led in the mirror is easy to miss, however, I still have the "old" hardware... :(

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thank you jwq for the information.
Stelvio20 too!
My usb key is ready and I was hesitant to update.
..... I read :
- Greater rear view camera;
- Speed camera notification with beep, even if you have not set a route;
- possibility of also having a sound notification for the blind spot monitor.

I do not hesitate, I go for it! :)

1 - 20 of 78 Posts