Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Going to post this up here in the event that this happens to someone else out there as the information is rather scarce and scattered.

So two days ago I went to open my car and the central locking button on my key FOB broke. Unfortunately I was away from home and didn't have a spare key with me (In fact I only have the 1 key.....must get it cloned to get a backup or 2). So after a lot of colourful language at the stupidity of Alfa to allow me to disarm the alarm to open the boot with the boot button only to keep the alarm armed on all passenger doors and re-arm the alarm upon closing the boot :censored:......I turned to frenetic Google searching on my phone and flipping through my manual which is in French (imported to Sweden from Belgium) and thus of almost no value to me. So I'm going to help save you that trouble!

First things you need to know;
1. This applies to cars with a two button BLACK key FOB. I have no idea if this will work for cars with red keys or the 3 button black, though I assume it probably would.

2. This only applies when the micro-switch on the central locking button has broken! You know this has happened if the rubber stays depressed after pressing the button. NOTE: Don't start poking the button hoping it will pop back out! This is not how it works. It needs to be repaired - a good guide here (otherwise use an automotive locksmith/electronics expert like I did. 500 Swedish Kronor (~ 40 GBP) and it was fixed!

3. This does NOT apply when your button works fine but the central locking is not receiving the signal....you have a totally different issue. (P.S: Check your car battery and FOB battery)

4. This is for cars equipped with a factory alarm. I think some cars in the UK and maybe some other markets (AUS?) came with a non-factory alarm fitted and so the process may be different to this guide.

5. This applies when you have locked your car using the central locking button on the FOB. You shouldn't have this issue if you physically used the key in the lock on the door to lock the car as it should not arm the alarm system.

6. My car is a Nov. 2000 built 156 SportWagon 2.0 TS CF3 (left-hand drive). Other variants may have different layouts so check your owner manual before proceeding with anything!

7. Some markets (EU cars) will have a little key to disable the alarm using a master switch. This is located just above the fuse box that is discussed in this guide. If you have that key.....you're in luck! Turn off the alarm and you should be able to drive without issue. If you don't have the key, which I didn't, then you will need this guide.
N.B: This switch is fitted to UK cars (I think) but AFAIK Alfa UK did not supply the key to owners for legal reasons and therefore you will need to go through the hassle described in this guide in order to get the car home.

8. This method involves removing fuses and I am in no way responsible if you cause damage to yourself or your car. Do at your own risk!

Now with those little things out the way. Lets get stuck into the steps you need to take to get home!

So here are the steps;

1 - First thing you need to do will be to use the key in the door lock to manually open the door. This WILL set off the alarm (it should run for about 20 seconds give or take).

2 - Quickly fold down the rear seats and shut the door!

3 - Pop open the boot (trunk) using the boot/trunk button on the key FOB

4 - Climb into the car and make your way into the driver's seat (This is not very gracious for a 6'5" bloke.....even in a SW! Have fun if you have the sedan :cheese: )

5 - Next to the steering column there will be a section of trim which you can pull down to reveal a fuse box. Carefully open this as there are some tabs you can easily snap off!
N.B: I have a LHD car and its located to the left of the steering column. I assume this is the same in RHD cars but can't be certain. This fuse box could also potentially be located behind the glovebox in some markets. So keep an eye out and read your handbook!

6 - Once the fuses are exposed, you need to remove two 10A fuses. They are fuses numbered 12 & 13. They should be on the bottom row, the second and third fuses from the left. These two fuses power the horn (siren) and accessories such as the stereo, heating system and interior lighting. So keep this in mind and don't panic if your stereo or heater doesn't work!
N.B: Refer to attached photo and owners manual to confirm fuse location

7 - You should now be able to start the car without the siren going mental. Keep in mind that the alarm is STILL armed! This is a measure that should only be taken to get you home so you can use a backup key or get your key repaired! This is not a permanent solution! Just get your car home, or a place it will be safe for a few days, and get your key fixed or grab your second key! Also remember to drive home immediately! Don't drive around town, don't go pick the missus up from work.....drive straight home and park the car up.
N.B: The little red light on the dashboard showing if the alarm is armed will now be flashing different to normal as the car thinks there has been a break in. Don't be concerned as once you fix the key and use the central locking button once again this should all go back to normal.

8 - REMEMBER when you get home to put both fuses back! Otherwise, as I understand it, the alarm will run directly off the battery! So get those fuses back in and sit the car until you get that button repaired!

9 - Get your key repaired. I paid the equivalent of about 40 quid/$80 AUD (500SEK) to get a lovely Hungarian bloke to replace and solder a new switch on the FOB. Took him just under an hour and now I can use the car as normal once again.

Hopefully this information will be useful to someone. I had a pretty crap time of it trying to work out how to get home and the only information I could find was the pull fuse #12. Which in my case, still had the siren going off. So I winged it and used some educated guess work thanks to the user manual to pull the other accessory fuse (Fuse #13) and viola! No siren and I managed to drive the 25km back home to park the car up.

So hopefully this was of some value and you should at least be able to get home without going deaf and getting strange looks!

The next step for me will be to physically remove or disable the alarm system altogether. I will keep you posted when/if I get around to doing it and let you know the results. Also remember that there may be insurance repercussions if you remove the alarm!

Have a good day and drive safe!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
The rear seats don't fold in 156 sedan. But interesting that removing 2 fuses shut the alarm on your car. Seems a bit easy to get around. Apparently on some 156/147 sticking the key in the ign and starting the car stops the alarm from sounding.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
The rear seats don't fold in 156 sedan. But interesting that removing 2 fuses shut the alarm on your car. Seems a bit easy to get around. Apparently on some 156/147 sticking the key in the ign and starting the car stops the alarm from sounding.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In that case you could just put up with the alarm and just open the doors while you open the fuse box. Though you might get some strange looks from on-lookers.

It doesn't disable the alarm it merely shuts up the siren so you don't go deaf or attract attention while driving home. Upon a restart the indicator lights will flash which is the alarm going off silently. This can then attract attention as you shouldn't be driving with you hazard lights flashing on and off. So its best to leave it parked up until you can disable the alarm with a key FOB.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts