Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When front foglight is turned on, and the ignition is turned off, then the front foglights is automatically switched off, when the ignition is turned on again.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the front foglights to automatically turn on, if they were turned on when the ignition was turned off, and to be turned off, if they were turned off when the ignition was turned off.

Guess I'll have to do something to the Front Foglight Relay, but can't figure out what to do...

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
831 Posts
Fog lights are just as the name tells you, to be used when there is fog. Having them on all the time annoys the other drivers by blinding them, especially on wet roads, not to mention that in almost every country there are laws that specifically forbid using them all the time.
Having said that I hope nobody will answer your question.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Must be really foggy where he lives :lol:;)

N

·
0 Posts
Fog lights are CANBus controlled so no, there is no easy way to
do what you want.

Probably easier to completely rewire them.

·
Registered
251 Posts
When front foglight is turned on, and the ignition is turned off, then the front foglights is automatically switched off, when the ignition is turned on again.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the front foglights to automatically turn on, if they were turned on when the ignition was turned off, and to be turned off, if they were turned off when the ignition was turned off.

Guess I'll have to do something to the Front Foglight Relay, but can't figure out what to do...

Thanks in Advance
It's a legal requirement (part of UN-ECE Regulation 48 (lighting)) that the fogs turn off with the ignition and doesn't turn back on automatically. I therefore doubt you'll be able to modify without a serious amount of re-programming, nevermind rewiring...

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I thought fog lights were supposed to turn off automatically too but the ones on the GT stay on all the time, they are different in that they are part of the main headlight cluster not seperate lower ones and are no brighter than standard headlights.... perhaps thats what makes the difference.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I thought fog lights were supposed to turn off automatically too but the ones on the GT stay on all the time, they are different in that they are part of the main headlight cluster not seperate lower ones and are no brighter than standard headlights.... perhaps thats what makes the difference.
Depends when the vehicle was homologated due to differing introduction date requirements for "new" and "existing" vehicle types

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
These are 'Spot' lights and should be tied to the Main Beam. The poster wants to put his fog lights on as 'Look at Me' lights. They are tested at the MoT to make sure they conform to the Regs. Anybody who has passed their Driving Test will know the rule that says only for "Fog and Falling Snow"

·
Registered
251 Posts
These are 'Spot' lights and should be tied to the Main Beam. The poster wants to put his fog lights on as 'Look at Me' lights. They are tested at the MoT to make sure they conform to the Regs. Anybody who has passed their Driving Test will know the rule that says only for "Fog and Falling Snow"
...and you should get three points on your licence in the UK for driving with them switched on when it isn't foggy. As for the OP, there may be different rules in Denmark though (but probably not).

·
Registered
30,168 Posts
I thought fog lights were supposed to turn off automatically too but the ones on the GT stay on all the time, they are different in that they are part of the main headlight cluster...
These are 'Spot' lights and should be tied to the Main Beam...
No they are Fog lights.
The GT and pre-facelift 147 have their fog lights in the main headlight cluster (as does the fiat Stilo of the same era).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi All

Thanks for Your replies.
Sorry that You bother som much about the legal Part, I surely know when to turn them off, but to use them as daytime running lights is surely not a Problem, all the 159's I have met with the foglights turned on at daytime, havn't annoyed me at all.
Surely they must not be turned on by dark or rain.
Sorry to tell You that in Denmark it is stated in the Legislation, that it is Legal to use the FRONT foglights as daytime running lights.

So "Nev" Thanks for the usefull reply, that the front foglights are CanBus-controlled. Really what I needed to know.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Consider yourself flamed olef :lol:

Do you feel crispy? :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ghostydog:
Not Crispy at all, thought I was among Alfistis, not Politicians brainwashed by German Car-manufactures.

And Nev: Thanks for the hint.
Sorry but I don't like the LEDs, an Idea from one German Kitchen-Car Manufactur, I'll like to keep my Alfa "clean".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts