Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
So there's no gasket between the valve and the inlet manifold then ? I've noticed my car is sluggish and produces smoke for a short time after a cold start, is this likely to be the EGR ? The smoke smells diesely rather than oily.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
So there's no gasket between the valve and the inlet manifold then ? I've noticed my car is sluggish and produces smoke for a short time after a cold start, is this likely to be the EGR ? The smoke smells diesely rather than oily.
There are two gaskets - or at least I had two when I took mine off.

From the write up there is a larger oblong gasket missed out.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There was definatley no gasket between the EGR and the manifold. I've had the car from new, and removed it once before, I was supprised then there was no gasket..

Oh well..

SB

·
Registered
384 Posts
Very useful guide thanks!
Is a faulty EGR likely to cause high boost pressure? That is what's been diagnosed at high revs.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very useful guide thanks!
Is a faulty EGR likely to cause high boost pressure? That is what's been diagnosed at high revs.
Nope, In my experience High boost presure is sticking veins in the Turbo..

You will get the "I can move the actuator bar when the car is idling" form the engineers "so it can't be sticking" , but in my experience, when the exhaust is hundreds of degress oC through the turbo, the veins jam due to heat AND corrosion so that the VNT solinoid and actuator can't bring the veins back in to lower the boost pressure at high RPM's.

SB

·
Registered
384 Posts
Nope, In my experience High boost presure is sticking veins in the Turbo..

You will get the "I can move the actuator bar when the car is idling" form the engineers "so it can't be sticking" , but in my experience, when the exhaust is hundreds of degress oC through the turbo, the veins jam due to heat AND corrosion so that the VNT solinoid and actuator can't bring the veins back in to lower the boost pressure at high RPM's.

SB
Is there a way to cure this?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there a way to cure this?
It's involves removing the turbo, taking it apart, cleaning it out, prime with oil, re-assemble and refit.

I paid for an hour or two's labour..

I have seem a chemical way, which involves filling it up with a solution to breakdown the dirt and grime, and cleaning it out, but a manual approach i think is the best.

Check for split vacuum pipes and operation of the VNT solinoid too... (oh and the actual actuator)

SB

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Xylene is great for cleaning the sticky black gunk out of egr valves etc.

It's available in gallons on eBay (as a printers' solvent), or it's one of the 2 constituents of Wynn's carb/injector cleaner.

·
Registered
421 Posts
It's involves removing the turbo, taking it apart, cleaning it out, prime with oil, re-assemble and refit.

I paid for an hour or two's labour..

I have seem a chemical way, which involves filling it up with a solution to breakdown the dirt and grime, and cleaning it out, but a manual approach i think is the best.

Check for split vacuum pipes and operation of the VNT solinoid too... (oh and the actual actuator)

SB
Hi Shiftybloke,

Where did you get this work done as I've same problem myself.

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Shifty bloke,

Just used your guide, 'How to fix the EGR' and i'm delighted to report a total success. The mechanical part of the valve was ok apart from the expected sooty deposits but the solenoid was stuck. Cleaned it and lubed it with silicone spray grease. Took the car out of the garage and it took off. I'm now suspecting that the valve has not been working properly for a lot longer than i thought and i'd just noticed when it got really bad.

Cheers mate,

Robert G.

·
Banned
857 Posts
This thread should be made a sticky! Also, someone should set up a PayPal account which everyone who has used this guide pays £1 into ('if I had £1 everytime...') which goes to Shifty as thanks for the copious amounts of cash he has saved them.

I used this guide a couple of weeks ago to sort out my stuck EGR. Also fitted the restrictor gaskets when refitting the valve.

I've also had a couple of transient 'high boost pressure' error codes so I suspect the sticky turbo vains too...

1 - 20 of 89 Posts