Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever fixed their own hand brake cable ?

if so is a B..Itch of a job ??

i have a new cable at home but i think its just slipped out the clips at the bottom rear of the car as someone did fix it before but happened again

·
Registered
235 Posts
It's a quick job to do - It is easier if you can get the back wheels on ramps or similar. Leave the car in gear and chock the wheels so the car cannot roll.
Start by removing the gaiter from the handbrake lever in the car. Slacken the 13mm nut under the lever, but don't let it come completely off, then drop the handbrake lever - that introduces slack into the cables.
Then under the car start at the front of the cables - remove the little plastic clip carefully and remove the ends of the cable from the yoke. The other end of the yoke has the nut on you slackened in the car.
Work down the length of the cable opening all the plastic clips and the hanger then remove the end of the cable off the back caliper.
In good old fashion, refit is the reverse of removal. If you can get some oil into the new cables it will help with lubrication and keep out the damp. When you are tightening up the nut on the handbrake lever to take in the slack, don't over tighten it or you will have the back brakes binding - about 6-7 clicks on the lever should be enough.
Biggest problem I had was the little brackets for the bolted hangers were badly rusted - I dropped the bracket off the car's frame, cut off the bolt head - replaced with a new bolt and refitted. Took about an hour to do the job and another with all the faffing about.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers mate, i will give it ago

i think the reason it keeps slipping out of the clips is because of all the gunk n grease etc

G

·
0 Posts
cheers mate, i will give it ago

i think the reason it keeps slipping out of the clips is because of all the gunk n grease etc
That's what brake and clutch cleaner with a stiff brush is for mate, cleanup, free off, re-grease. Job done;)

Bring back Tapatalk !!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
My Rear brake cables are badly stretched, need a new pair, anybody got a spare set for sale.. ALFA GT 2004 1.9 TD.

·
Registered
660 Posts
iv got a similar problem with my handbrake but it turns out my rear right caliper handbrake mec is seized. so got to order a new one. see a gd deal on ebay for £52 for the caliper and if I send mine back to them I get £15 back. unknow brand tho.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts