Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right i bought some phillips headlight bulbs x-treme white (or something similar)

but -fitting? lol -you must be kidding !

pherhaps its just my hands are too big or something but the only thing i can get off is the black cover and my hands are now bashed to bits
has anyone changed them and can give me some tips
or has anyone some pics of the way they clip in or out
Ive changed headlight bulbs many,many times before in lots of different cars but never in a 156 alfa or something so hard with no haynes manual
I might even get my mate(who has tiny hands) or my little niece to help lol

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
There are two metal clips that clip out and down, the wiring can get in the way a bit but that isnt the hardest bit. Getting the bulbs back in a a different matter and yes, if your niece is offering, then get her to do it. The rectangular bit faces upwards, try pushing the bulb in to get a snug fit and then reclip (sounds easy). Start with the passenger side as it is easier, just remember to take off the black cover so you can see in, just two screws holding this in place so that part is easy. What that cover is protecting im not sure but plenty of wiring in there.
Bulbs are a nightmare though as you have now found out...

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
Get a small mirror and possibly a torch to help.

Pull off the power connector.

To unclick the bulb, push the top of the clip forwards then to the left for the left side or right for right side ...

Pics to help?
Pic1 show clip undone
Pic2 which clip in place ... you can just see the location tab at the top

The clip will then fold down as it is hinged at the bottom.

Lift out the bulb and replace the new one. Don't touch the glass with you fingers or you can shorten the bulb life. Make sure the tab is at the TOP and it's correctly location. The mirror helps here to see the bulb alignment.

Then clip it back in and put the power connector and black plastic cover back on.

Then repeat with the other headlight! ;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
done lol they look exactly the same as the old ones lol I wanted the hid/xenon look oh well ,battered hands for nowt

It was fairly easy once i knew there was clips involed took 5mins thanks guys

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
That was quick!!

Might get you to change mine next time round, with those bulbs or any in fact you really wont notice I reckon till it gets darker, and more so from a distance looking at the car. I have them, might swap cars with the girlfriend and drive past each other to see if there is any difference.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i got so good at fitting them ,i put the original back in on one side and when it goes dark i'm gonna see if theres a difference

·
Registered
1,915 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its dark so just nipped out and checked em

and yeah the new phillips x-treme look way brighter with the beam more spread and more white ,impressed and when its light again I will put the other side one in (put the original one back in to compare the two)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Jaysiz - just spend a very wet and increaasingly dark hour replacing both sidelights and both headlights. If it wasn't for the simple instructions from you chaps about those bl:rant: dy clips, I would still be there now, having missed all of the rugby....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts