Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the threads for a solution to my problem but cannot find a single post relating to it.

I bought 4 BOSE speakers for my 156 a month or so ago and have attempted to fit them into my 156 this afternoon. I'm normally ok with this kind of thing and have upgraded many sound systems to various cars I've owned over the years. The problem I'm having is that the BOSE speakers dont seem to fit into my door card?

Each speaker is fixed to a plasic cradle and there is no way there going in with this attached to the speaker. The original plastic speaker mounting that is attached to the door card not only is used for mounting the speaker but also for attaching the door card to the door so this cannot be removed as I first thought.

The BOSE speakers can be removed from their cradle and they nearly fit into the original speaker housing. The screw holes line up and they would sit flush apart from the tweeter wire which runs underneath. This fouls the mounting procedure.

On the BOSE cradle there is a slot which the tweeter wire sits in allowing the speaker to lay flat in its cradle. The original speaker cradle that is attached to the door card does not have this.

Of course I could cut one but I assumed that they would fit as they were made for this car and I'm not cutting anything untill I'm absolutely sure that I have to.

Has anyone else fitted this upgrade? If so how did you get over this problem?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Is the car you are installing them in of the same generation ? facelift / non facelift ?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea?

I managed to get them in without cutting anything though. Removed the top cover that holds the tweeter and re routed the wire so it didn't foul. It was a bit of a chew but when has anything ever been simple with an Alfa!!

Sound much better too. I can actually listen to music at the volume i like (extremely loud) without any distortion now.

Thinking about an amp and sub however my rear view mirror is alrerady blurred when I turn it up!

Me likey :D

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
If they are 2ohm BOSE speakers (presumably are), being run off the factory headunit (designed for nothing less than 4ohm), be mindful it could overheat and shut down. So that could happen with extended loud listening. The headunit should recover, but it'll annoy you if it occurs often.

So an aftermarket amp would be good. These are usually always 2ohm stable.

Otherwise, well done on the fitment.

:)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I fitted BOSE to my facelift 156, however you sir have got it all wrong I am afraid.

the BOSE system isnt a plug and play option, so if you've not done any wiring at all then you've messed it up big time.

the way BOSE works is by a trigger wiring putting the head unit into BOSE mode and turning off the internal amplifier.

the speaker outputs are then hard wired into an amplifier in the parcel shelf which then feeds the speakers. there should also be a subwoofer in the parcel shelf as part of the BOSE system.

on a 147 these are plug and play units with its own wiring harness, 156 is not plug and play so you need to make your own loom/harness and do a lot of wiring. took me a couple of days to fit.

BOSE differs from standard in that they are 2ohm speakers, as stated above, so will draw more current from the head unit, which is only 4 ohms table.

you risk overheating the unit, which could cause untold damage or potentially fire, which isn't much fun, believe me I've done it.

you need to either sort yourself out with with proper aftermarket 4ohm speakers, or get yourself a load of wiring, a BOSE amp and BOSE sub to get the job done properly.

like I said, I've done it, so if you want to ask questions go ahead.

·
Premium Member
7,293 Posts
Do the bose head units differ from standard cd player or is it just the amp and speakers that are upgraded?

I have a 2003 Lusso
The alfa head units are the same. They have an input to indicate the presence of a Bose system on the back....

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
yep, as above.

there is the tri-plug on the back of the headunit, blue, yellow, green plug. The grey(w/ green stripe) goes into the green plug from memory, there is only 1 pin possible on that plug. This sends a line voltage down to the head unit signifying the presence of BOSE unit, therefore shutting off the internal amplifier. All facelift stereos should be capable of this.

After that you have the BOSE Amp, speakers and addition of a subwoofer that differs.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
there is the tri-plug on the back of the headunit, blue, yellow, green plug. The grey(w/ green stripe) goes into the green plug from memory, there is only 1 pin possible on that plug. This sends a line voltage down to the head unit signifying the presence of BOSE unit, therefore shutting off the internal amplifier.
Err, no! :p

The single wire which is in the yellow ;) mini-ISO plug is the 'BOOSTER OUT' wire that sends +12V out to the BOSE amplifier, to trigger the amp on/off. That is, it's the equivalent of an aftermarket headunit's 'remote output' wire.

The wire you're referring to is the 'BOOSTER IN' wire, which feeds +12V into the A2 terminal, to switch the headunit into BOSE mode. A2 is in the main power-ISO plug.

:thumbs:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts