Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, im always excited when the postman delivers one of these boxes:

Its a Wiechers strut brace and it isnt as straight forward to fit as you might think, so heres a fitting guide with a doh! moment and warning at the end!

In the packet there is a brace, 2 spacers, 2 new bolts and NO instructions.

To start with I jacked the front completely off the ground, but found I couldnt get it to square up like this - so I lowered the car back down so that the tyres were just making contact with the ground, but the suspension was still elevated - this seemed to do the trick!

Its not difficult to line up, but its not quite perfect either.

I found that the smallest spacer needed to go at the front on the left side (as you look at the car) and the larger spacer at the rear. The diameter of the large spacer seemed to be slightly too large for the space available, but it 'squashes' in when its all tightened up.

The kit was supplied with two new bolts, which would suggest that they should be longer than the ones that came off (makes sense with the addition of spacers) however the two bolts in my kit were exactly the same length (30mm I think) as the ones on the car - this was confirmed when they turned out to be too short to tighten on the car :(

A quick trip to the local DIY store and €0.90 later I was the proud owner of one 8x40mm bolts and one 8x50mm bolt.

With the 40mm bolt in the front and the 50mm in the rear hole it tightened right up and voila - one strut brace :)

Now here comes the WARNING:

When I closed the bonnet I wasnt quite paying enough attention - it closed OK but felt a little tight.

It now will NOT open - The brace must be fouling the bonnet and the running of the cables and now I am stuck with a closed bonnet - the solution is for another thread I guess :eek:

I havent driven the car so cant comment on the braces effectiveness, purely from an ease of fitting point of view I am in two minds at the moment - some instructions and some longer bolts wouldnt have gone amiss.

Hope this helps someone out in the future:thumbs:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
NO instructions
At this point i'd have been on the phone or email to alfisti, good luck with not having to drill a hole in your bonnet to get it open :(

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Bonnets open - just needed the OH to pull the release whilst I pressed down on the bonnet :) Will adjust later.

From reading forum threads it seems its normal not to get any fitting instructions. :S

Just got a reply from Alfisti: Seems the short bolt issue is a known one and something they have been chasing Wiechers over for a long time. Volker (who runs the shop) seems a good guy and was happy for the feedback.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks nice mate but................ you should of bought an "Ultra Racing" Strut Brace

Perfect fitment with no problems :thumbs:
They were my preference, but try buying one!! Their website is ****. I wonder how much business its losing them, it certainly lost them mine!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately there was a wait, all items had to be shipped from Malaysia

But well worth it.

I phoned Tina with my order it was easy!

Alfa Romeo Products
Unfortunately for them calling and waiting is not something I do well. If they sorted their stock levels im sure they would sell loads.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive been working on the bonnet problem today.

After some poking and head scratching I deduced that the cable and release were fine and didnt need adjusting. I put a small amount of red paint along the top of the strut brace and carefully closed the bonnet to see where it was rubbing.... it turned out to be the section with the small 'kink' in it, over towards the right turret.

A bit of head scratching and I figured by removing the 2 spacers on the left side and making my own smaller ones id probably be able to lower the brace by the 1/2cm or so that it needed.

And so this was the case. I removed the front (small spacer) completely and made myself a new spacer for the rear (about 75% of the depth of the Wiechers part at a guesstimate).

With my new spacers in the bar now sits just low enough to allow the bonnet to close without fouling and it now opens on the release without any problems.

Woo and indeed hoo!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Still the same bolts and lack of instructions.... Thanks to Euroboy I haven't wasted my evening trying to figure out where I am going wrong. 2 number londer bolts will be purchased tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Jamie

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad the instructions helped!

Poor show that they are still shipping with shorter bolts.

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diseasel (2011)
26,151 Posts
Received mine yesterday - the one with the extra bend in there for the V6 :)

No instructions so: once again, AO wins :D
It looks like the bolts are still on the short side - will have to wait and see in the weekend when I fit it.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I got mine yesterday too. I assume with only two bolts that the ones for the right-hand side (looking from the front of the car) are the originating bolts in the turret tops??! A bit confused...

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its a bit of a ****take that Wiechers and Alfisti.net are still shipping these with the short bolts.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Indeed - did you use existing bolts for the Right Hand Side?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cant remember, it was so long ago.....

Probably covered in my posts above though ^^^ :)

·
Registered
942 Posts
I'll take a good look when I get home tonight to see just what can be re-used... I'm slowly accumulating all the bit for a front suspension rebuild so might be asking some strut / shock questions on your other how to thread soon...!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Indeed - did you use existing bolts for the Right Hand Side?
IIRC, assuming you mean the right hand side looking at the engine, I used one supplied allen bolt for the fixing where the 2 strut brace rails split either side of the hole. Simply for ease of access. I re-used the original Alfa bolts for the other fixings on this side.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Remind me why we love these cars again??!!!!!

When removing the bolts to install the brace, one of them sheared... It is the far right hand one for the brace (looking head on to the engine bay). I have fitted the brace in any case. Is there anything wrong in driving the car, even if just for a short distance?

Is there any issue drilling out the bolt? I assume they go through directly to the top mounts - if drilled out would the metal shards fall down through the car or would they just fall into the mount and perhaps start fouling the parts inside there??!

Finally - I have the bonnet sticking issue too - how is it adjusted?? I can get it open with a couple of pulls on the lever under the steering wheel but that's frustrating and also some of the paint is going to be pulled off the bar if it's left... I'll have a search through the workshop manual, but I guess it's the back that needs lifting slightly (nearest the windscreen...)

Sorry for all the questions - hopefully all my questions of late may help others in the future!

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have the bonnet sticking issue too - how is it adjusted?? I can get it open with a couple of pulls on the lever under the steering wheel but that's frustrating and also some of the paint is going to be pulled off the bar if it's left... I'll have a search through the workshop manual, but I guess it's the back that needs lifting slightly (nearest the windscreen...)
Did you try the fix posted by euroboy in post #8 of this thread? Seems to be the same problem.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I will take off the brace and perhaps file the spacers a little...

Mostly concerned about this bolt though!! If I can get a smaller bolt/screw into it, can I screw it thought and have it fall through???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts