Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there AO:)

I have a MY2013 MQV, but as I heard from somewhere that the Alfa Active Suspension is optional in some countries (and I am in a country where it's said to be optional), I want to check if my MQV has the Active Suspension.

So, I have a few questions:

1) How can I find out if my MQV has the Active Suspension? Is there an easy way to know?

2) If there is an Active Suspension, does the suspension become stiffer noticeably when changed to D mode from N mode?

3) Can you feel any clear difference in the stiffness and driving experience when with and without the Active Suspension?

Much appreciate your help in advance!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I can only help with point 2, there really is a noticeable difference to how the car roles and takes bumps with N/D mode. The ride is much softer with N more, the damping is increased with D mode and very little role.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hi there AO:)

I have a MY2013 MQV, but as I heard from somewhere that the Alfa Active Suspension is optional in some countries (and I am in a country where it's said to be optional), I want to check if my MQV has the Active Suspension.

So, I have a few questions:

1) How can I find out if my MQV has the Active Suspension? Is there an easy way to know?

2) If there is an Active Suspension, does the suspension become stiffer noticeably when changed to D mode from N mode?

3) Can you feel any clear difference in the stiffness and driving experience when with and without the Active Suspension?

Much appreciate your help in advance!!
1) Look at the bottom of the dampers if there are magneti marelli boxes + cables + connectors. If so, you have the active suspension.
2) yes.
3) yes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pictures attached

1) Look at the bottom of the dampers if there are magneti marelli boxes + cables + connectors. If so, you have the active suspension.
2) yes.
3) yes.

I tried to look for the magneti marelli boxes + cables and connectors but not too sure if I found the right ones.
So I have attached photos of the area behind the wheels and around the spring of the front and rear wheels (First three photos are from the front wheel and the last photo from the rear).

Behind the front wheel as in the picture, I could see FSD INSIDE BY KONI and could not see any brand name at the rear. But nowhere I could see the name MAGNETI MARELLI.
Does this mean that my MQV has the Alfa Active Suspension?

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for response

I can only help with point 2, there really is a noticeable difference to how the car roles and takes bumps with N/D mode. The ride is much softer with N more, the damping is increased with D mode and very little role.
Did not know the damping is increased in D mode with active suspension! Just thought it would be much more stiffer on bumps. Thank you:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Another photo

2) yes.
3) yes.

I attached an another photo of the damper area (front wheel) from a different angle.
Hope you could see more clearly to verify the active suspension, as I cannot know just by looking at it..

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sorry, I should have been more precise. Just check the point at the bottom of the damper (rear axle is good for this) where it is screwed to the axle. There normally is the connector for the active suspension. But perhaps it is different to my QV built in 2010.

But seeing your fsd sticker I assume you have the active suspension.

EDIT: Ok, it looks like the newer QVs have a different system. The old qvs have the magneti marelli connectors and cables as I told you (as it´s the case with my car, QV from the year 2010), the new ones the fsd konis (Frequency Selective Damping), with no extra cables, everything is integrated. So yes, you have the active suspension!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Sorry, I should have been more precise. Just check the point at the bottom of the damper (rear axle is good for this) where it is screwed to the axle. There normally is the connector for the active suspension. But perhaps it is different to my QV built in 2010.

EDIT: Ok, it looks like the newer QVs have a different system. The old qvs have the magneti marelli connectors and cables as I told you (as it´s the case with my car, QV from the year 2010), the new ones the fsd konis (Frequency Selective Damping), with no extra cables, everything is integrated. So yes, you have the active suspension!
I'm pretty sure I have FSD-stickers on my non-active suspension on my 2010 QV. As I understand it FSD stiffens the damping when needed, without any external control and therefore adaptive, but not active

I have not seen an active suspension, but from the pictures I would say yours looks quite much like mine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you so much!!

Thanks so much again for your detailed explanation.
I really hope my MQV has the Active Suspension like you said, but now Leo's thread right above is confusing me again....
Where's the truth?!:(

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seriously??

I'm pretty sure I have FSD-stickers on my non-active suspension on my 2010 QV. As I understand it FSD stiffens the damping when needed, without any external control and therefore adaptive, but not active

I have not seen an active suspension, but from the pictures I would say yours looks quite much like mine.

Ok..so you are saying having a Koni FSD in a MQV does not automatically mean that you have an active suspension?
I am so confused...

·
Registered
575 Posts
To me it´s seems that you have to differ between:

Alfa Adaptive Suspension --> FSD shocks: see links KONI: FSD damper kit and how it works
KONI: vibration damping and driving comfort

Alfa Active Suspension --> "Alfa Active Suspension is an advanced electronic shock absorber control system that actively and continuously changes the chassis response depending on the road conditions and driving requirements". I think there you have the cables to the dampers.

·
Registered
296 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yes, I think I too learned something. I was a bit misled by the FSD sticker. But they are built in stock for the more powerful mitos (135 and 170 horsepower). The active suspension is an extra feature. So I would say (when you don´t recognize a difference between n and d mode in damping response) you only have the adaptive suspension.
In my QV it´s clearly recognizable when switching from in n to d (i have the active suspension with the cables on every damper).
Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok...

Exactly what I'm saying:
FSD is really good, but it's not active.
FSD damping changes according to the conditions, but it surely doesn't change because the DNA-switch is placed in Dynamic, and that is what the active suspension on a Mito QV with active suspension does
So Leo,
your QV's got exactly the same Koni FSD as mine, and they look exactly the same with all those cables + connectors etc to the dampers?? And yours has no active suspension!?

I wonder if everything looks perfectly the same when you compare yours to my photos in above threads..Or maybe you could take photos of yours to compare:paranoid:

·
Registered
296 Posts
So Leo,
your QV's got exactly the same Koni FSD as mine, and they look exactly the same with all those cables + connectors etc to the dampers?? And yours has no active suspension!?

I wonder if everything looks perfectly the same when you compare yours to my photos in above threads..Or maybe you could take photos of yours to compare:paranoid:
The lines and wiring I see on your photos is brake hoses, brake pad wear indicator wiring and maybe ABS wiring.

In this thread there is a photo from when I changed front springs. The spring/damper unit is removed, but brakelines and wiring is visible: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-mito/817585-time-for-new-springs.html

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

yes, that´s exactly the cables you have when you have active suspension. It´s on mine too...
So that was it..
That little box is missing on my Mito..

Then do you by any chance know if there is any possibility or a way for the Active Suspension to be retrofitted on a MQV with no such suspension?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts