Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Get someone else to do it is the easiest :p.

Why do you want to drop it? Steering rack or arb?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive read different things on here like just a few bolts to get it out but cant see that happening, might try not dropping the subframe but think thats just as much of a pain!

L

·
0 Posts
basically, drop the central tunnel [ 8 13mm bolts & 4 15mm nuts ] , take of wheels, open 4 18mm + 2 15mm bolts along the back of the sub-frame, open the 2 steering rack bolts [ 22mm , very tight & very long ], open 2 18mm bolts at the front of the wish bone [ very long ] open the bracket that holds the Power Steering pipes onto the sub-frame, open various 18s,19s & 15mm bolts that hold the rear engine/gearbox bracket in place & support it all using a bottle jack + piece of timber. + removal of the flexipipe section, enjoy drilling out & replacing the sheared off bolts that will happen.

Its not for the fain hearted.

Oh yeah, getting it back up into place GRRRRrrrrrreat fun BUT the sense of acheivement at the end of all RREEEAAaaaaalllllllyy makes it all worth while........ ;)

L

·
0 Posts
basically, drop the central tunnel [ 8 13mm bolts & 4 15mm nuts ] , take of wheels, open 4 18mm + 2 15mm bolts along the back of the sub-frame, open the 2 steering rack bolts [ 22mm , very tight & very long ], open 2 18mm bolts at the front of the wish bone [ very long ] open the bracket that holds the Power Steering pipes onto the sub-frame, open various 18s,19s & 15mm bolts that hold the rear engine/gearbox bracket in place & support it all using a bottle jack + piece of timber. + removal of the flexipipe section, enjoy drilling out & replacing the sheared off bolts that will happen.

Its not for the fain hearted.

Oh yeah, getting it back up into place GRRRRrrrrrreat fun BUT the sense of acheivement at the end of all RREEEAAaaaaalllllllyy makes it all worth while........ ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice managed to get it dropped and ARB removed, just taking the old bushes off to replace them, need a bigger drill bit, typical thats the bit thats stopping me now after all that ha!

L

·
0 Posts
cut thro the 'rivet' at side nearest the bulkhead & leave the other side intact, then swing it on the side still intact, fit the bush & swing it back, makes re-fitting alot easier.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
always pashed2: yep, that's always the way so much faster the second, faster again the third..........
From what i have read you times are about what I was expecting mine will be.
I am not an HGV mechanic; I started in a stone quarry on Dartmoor - no, not as a prisoner! As an apprentice we always got the job of hand casting and scrapping the 3ft diameter by 5ft long white metal bearings that the rock crushing equipment used! I then moved on to some serious mobile plant; one piece of kit had programmable logic controller and the cubicle for that was the size of a double wardrobe. The logic control diagram used to concertina from the fault finding manual and was nearly 6 ft long! Oh how I now love computers that give fault codes and that is no matter how misleading those codes can sometimes be!

·
Registered
371 Posts
no skinning of kuckles, just greasing of 'da ass' :cheese:
Might have been a bit of ass greasing going on, but at least I wasn't rolling about under my car in the pouring rain and the freezing cold while slowing going insane :cheese: I had enough of that when I did my wishbones. :wow:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts