Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Had a few issues with car. Removed sump guard to do what I needed. It was not easy due to rusted in screws. There was no middle screw in the sump guard as no sub frame to screw it to as the rust fairy has had it away.
To cut to the chase the sub frame is rotten. Badly rotten. The underneath of the front cross member has gone. How did it pass an MOT. Because as we all know it is hidden and the only real way to check it is to remove the sump guard.
Closer inspection of the rest of the sub frame revealed extensive deep rust. It is laminating. To be honest an inspection was not really necessary as you could not miss it.
Solution is………to sell the car at….. Not yet!

Any ideas?

Do I have it welded? It looks like it could be welded in situ. I am a little late for a tin off hammerite. What about the rest of the sub frame? It looks to me like it may have gone past the point of being repaired.
My question is has anybody had the sub frame replaced and how much damage to the wallet since a full front end re build required.

I have had to leave the sump guard off due to lack of fixings. I need the car for at least the next two weeks as Christmas then to the garage.

Also something occurred to me. Was fitting a sponge to the sump guard right under the front cross member a good idea. It was noticeable when I dropped the guard quite a lot of water flowed off it which means there is a likely hood of it holding water. All the padding which I am guessing rests on the sub frame was soaking wet. Full of salty water from the roads.
The car is 2006 with 63000 on it.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Oh, what a shame. I have recently bought a 159. When I eventually got the under tray off. There was some rust
There. Mine was not call the way through. So I managedvto rust proof it and hamerite it. When I wire brushed
It found shiny metal under Neath so I felt I could treat it. But I don,t know how bad yours is . has it gone right
Thru the metal. If not you might be able to attack it from both sides. Rust proof the outside and rust wax inhibitor on the inside. It took a couple of days. But I wasn't, rushing as not on the road at the time.
I,all have to check it regular and rust proof regularly. Which is not good for s modern car.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
If it is as bad as you describe then you might be better off looking for a good used subframe, give it a good coat of paint and get it fitted, I dont think its too big a job to swap the subframe over.

I think this is going to become more of a problem in the coming years.
Ned I hope you've kept the subfames of all the 159's you've broken..:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ jon156veloce. Its bad. Well the front member is bad and I mean bad. The best thing to do would be to cut the whole cross member off. I know enough from my time in engineering to know it has pretty much had it. It is not servicable. Its structual. You can not fill it. It is at least a weld job. I need someone with more experiance to OK the rest. It might be repairable but I will not keep the car. It is now a question of damage limitation. I know I have lost on this. I can not believe this car is straight. The sad thing is I have not had the car that long. It sounded great when I brought it. Everything looked oK. Yet somehow in a period of three months the car seems to have developed some pretty serious faults from the gear box to a possbile problem with the cylinder head. The body looks mint. The interior is mint. The engine bay looks fine. No oil leaks. everything is clean. I had a look all over the car including under it when I brought it and from what I could see of the sub frame it looked OK. Underneath at the rear looks OK. Full service history and the milage appears to check out on the old MOT's and I paid a fair price for it. Yet I can not help feel I have been done. I have a soft spot for Alfa's. I had a brand new 156 when they first came out and loved it. Maybe I have been spoilt with company cars and vans over the years. Big downer. My ex is till running our Mondeo which we had from nearly new. It has 130000 on it with a list of stuff done to it you could write on a postage stamp. This has put me off Alfa's. If I get rid of this one I am not going to buy one as a replacement.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
If it is any consolation the subframe is the only place that commonly rusts and as it is bolt off bolt on is relatively easily fixed, its not as if the floor or sills have rotted.

Its not just Alfa's that suffer with this, guy in work has just bought an 05 plate subaru and found that it is rotten, front subframe mounts and bulkhead.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ Jon156veloce. I know I am moaning. It has not been a good year then the car I really fancied based on my other Alfa experiance, which was good, turns out to be a bit of a dog. I know it is a bolt on item. I am going to have to do it as I suspect the labour costs are going to be excessive to fit it. The prob I have is the length of time I have had the car against the cost of doing it plus the other faults I still have. If I had lived with the car for a couple of years I would have taken it on the chin. If I sell it as it is I am going to loose out big time. Knowing what I know now I would have spent another couple of grand to avoid this or a different make. I have seen sub frames for 150 plus 45 to deliver. Then its the tools, kit and time to fit it. I reckon I could do it for maybe £400 allowing for paint, some new bolts/bushes and tools. Then there is the other faults on top. Then saddly I have all those people that told me I should not buy an Alfa. Do not get me wrong Jon I like Alfa's. It is just this is not a fun experiance. I want to say my Alfa has been a great car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts