Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needs a bit of soldering right? - does anyone have a description, my aorbag warning light is on, dont know why.

It's a 2001 1.8 156 ts.

I was hoping to buy alfadiag when the cable arrives.

Should mention I popped for the USB cable.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I think you need to link pins 3 & 7 (from memory) - send a PM to Rearbear or do a search as this has been discussed several times.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i read that but it wasn't clear that that is the bit that allows you to talk to the airbag ECU...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found this

"the K line = pin 7 the ABS pin = 3 so if you connect 3 to 7 your ABS ECU talks with the main ECU.."

so was thinking maybe its not pin 3 but maybe the ABS and Airbag use the same pin?

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
no, ABS = pin 1
pin 3 = airbag and must talk with the K line, take care that you do it right,
airbags tend to go off if there is a circuit short !!!
stand next to the car when you do the airbag routine .. just a warning

Youtube has a movie where you see the impact of an exploding airbag...
Taliban is jealous !!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Best not to common the Air-bags with the other ECU's for Safety reasons.

I fitted a switch to my cable and it works a treat.
You need a two way switch

Common -> K-Line (Disconnect the PCB from pin 7 and connect the PCB to switch common)
Pos-1 -> Pin 3 - Air Bags
Pos-2 -> Pin 7 - ECU + Pin 1 - ABS + Pin 9 - EPS (Electric Power Steering)

Like this

7 1 9 3
| | | |
--------- |
| |
-----\------
|
K-Line (From PCB)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here's the diagram ignore the dots.
Switch left for ECU, ABS & EPS (Used on some Fiats)
Switch Right for Air-Bags

7 . 1 . 9 . . . . 3
| . | . | . . . . |
---¬--- . . . . |
. . .| . . . . . . |
. . -----\ -----
. . . . . . |
. . . . . . |
K-Line (From PCB)

:thumbs:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Forgive my not so technical know how, is it possible to post a pic of a modded cable with the airbag connection that is being discussed, diagrams are not my strong point but if i seen a pic im sure i could do it then, cheers

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I followed the instructions on their site. De-soldered wire from pin 7 and re-soldered to pin 3. Works perfectly. But then, I did buy two cables for £10 as it was easier than fitting a switch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bridging pins to access Airbag ECU

HI All,

This is all very interesting. And confusing. When you talk about bridging the pins, which interface are you referring to, the K-Line/VagCom or the ELM327, because I believe they are different. Also, what is common is the formfactor of the connector; it is "D" type. What would be cool is if a guru could take that "D" form factor, turn it on it's side so that the wide side is at top (call it wide-side top-line pins) and the narrow part of the D-connector is at the bottom (call it the narrow-side bottom-line pins.

Then, after stating which interface connector we are dealing with, describe from left to right, top-line, what are the pin numbers, and same for bottom-line. If I had this, I could do a definitive drawing of the connector and post it for others' benefit.

I mention this, because although I'm pretty savvy electronically and a computer guru, I've not found one thread that was able to describe this bridging process so that I can actually use it. (And damn, have I searched, because I have a problem with my 2000 156 V6 airbags.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
The pin outs are for the KLine/VagCOM interface .. ELM327 won't work.

A pin-out diagram like this one ... linky ??

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
HI All,

This is all very interesting. And confusing. When you talk about bridging the pins, which interface are you referring to, the K-Line/VagCom or the ELM327, because I believe they are different. Also, what is common is the formfactor of the connector; it is "D" type. What would be cool is if a guru could take that "D" form factor, turn it on it's side so that the wide side is at top (call it wide-side top-line pins) and the narrow part of the D-connector is at the bottom (call it the narrow-side bottom-line pins.

Then, after stating which interface connector we are dealing with, describe from left to right, top-line, what are the pin numbers, and same for bottom-line. If I had this, I could do a definitive drawing of the connector and post it for others' benefit.

I mention this, because although I'm pretty savvy electronically and a computer guru, I've not found one thread that was able to describe this bridging process so that I can actually use it. (And damn, have I searched, because I have a problem with my 2000 156 V6 airbags.

Thanks.

It's really not that complex. The pins are numbered on the socket that's fitted to the car.

-Alex

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
also in the connector the pin numbers are printed !

pin in the right top corner = 1 pin in the right low corner = 9

1 - 17 of 17 Posts