Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post as I have bought 156 JTS 2.0 manual (2003)! I absolutely love it (compared to my BMW which I hated with passion). Anyway, I need to sort out insurance.. ahh and one of the questions (and possibly could lower my premium is immobilizer).

I know car comes with alarm due to the light on the dash (and if i open the door after i arm it with fob it screams alright).

However, I'm not sure if it has immobilizer - I don't want to guess because insurance will simply check it and void your policy when it comes to actually trying to get money off them. (touch wood i never have to claim anything).

Any ideas? Thanks!

Also, it says in my manual that when locking car should beep once and if it beeps again it means that there is something wrong... my one beeps once and then again (short one) after couple of seconds. Alarm works however. Hmmm?

Cheers!

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
They all have a factory fitted imobilizer (for the UK market anyhow). You'll most likley find it'll make no difference to your premium (in the UK again!)

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The second beep is because it thinks one of the doors, or bonnet, or boot is open. They all have microswitches so check them - sometimes you simply have to open and slam the doors.

My bet is it's the bonnet, and you should read about cleaning the catch anyway.

L

·
0 Posts
ALL 156s, 147s & GT have immobilisers, sometimes much to the owners annoyance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it has,the *key or lock* symbol that you get on the dash when you first turn ignition on is your immobiliser.:)
Yup found it. Its a key icon with "Code" above it. It lights up for a second when I start the car.

Best off doing a search - but basically you need to clean it occasionally, and always drop from a height and pull up to check it's closed.
Well I assumed that everything has to be closed since infocenter normally tells me when the door/boot is open. I guess it wouldn't mention anything about bonnet. A bit of topic but I have ordered OBD2 (ELM) cable, since I always do for every car I get. Do you know if it would show up in diagnostics (alfadiag etc?)?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Well I assumed that everything has to be closed since infocenter normally tells me when the door/boot is open. I guess it wouldn't mention anything about bonnet. A bit of topic but I have ordered OBD2 (ELM) cable, since I always do for every car I get. Do you know if it would show up in diagnostics (alfadiag etc?)?
No idea, but I don't think so.

The 'door open' infocentre warnings don't appear to be related to the alarm system microswitches either. You'll just have to play with it. Have you found the bonnet microswitch? It's fairly obvious on the left of the catch.

You can probably rule out the boot as that tends to unlock the car again if left open, but I wouldn't guarantee that either.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Umm arnt they Category 1 Thatcham approved?

I found this...

Model Year Car alarm model Thatcham number
GTV and Spider Aug 97 - Aug 98 M99 TFA TC1-403/0397
GTV and Spider Aug 98 - on M99 T2FA TC2 -1119/0899
156 Oct 98 - on M99 T2FA TC2 -1119/0899
159 Feb 06 - on M99 T2FA TC2 -1119/0899
Brera May 06 - on M99 T2FA TC2 -1119/0899

and this www.thatcham.org/security/pdfs/compliance.pdf
I havent time to read it all now ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No idea, but I don't think so.

The 'door open' infocentre warnings don't appear to be related to the alarm system microswitches either. You'll just have to play with it. Have you found the bonnet microswitch? It's fairly obvious on the left of the catch.

You can probably rule out the boot as that tends to unlock the car again if left open, but I wouldn't guarantee that either.
That actually would explain why sometimes in the morning my car is open. It happened twice, I though that I just forgot to close it. Does it only reopen the car if the boot isn't "closed" properly? :cheese:

Umm arnt they Category 1 Thatcham approved?

I found this...

Model Year Car alarm model Thatcham number
GTV and Spider Aug 97 - Aug 98 M99 TFA TC1-403/0397
GTV and Spider Aug 98 - on M99 T2FA TC2 -1119/0899
156 Oct 98 - on M99 T2FA TC2 -1119/0899
159 Feb 06 - on M99 T2FA TC2 -1119/0899
Brera May 06 - on M99 T2FA TC2 -1119/0899

and this www.thatcham.org/security/pdfs/compliance.pdf
I havent time to read it all now ;)
I will let my insurance company know. Cheers mate!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked the boot microsensor (Had to remove plastic cover - quite easy just pulled it off) - i checked it with multimeter and it was fine. Then checked the bonnet one, had to remove plastic cover (two screws - philips). Same procedure, worked fine as well.

Decided to look under the car found some broken cable just hanging there - turned out to be brake sensor?? (goes to the brake caliper). Luckily the plug was still connected to the sensor. (A bit confused why infocenter didnt say anything about that...???) Fixed it.

However while being under the car I saw that there is a plug laying at the bottom of the bumper... guess what it was... my bonnet sensor plug - I guess it must have unplugged itself on some rough drive or something. Re-connected it and everything is working fine again.

Called insurance updated my policy, not sure about UK but here (NZ) i got about $120 off my annual premium - will cover the beer to tackle the next problem - an oil leak. (will probably create new thread once I have time to actually investigate what could it be)

Cheers guy!

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
A bit of topic but I have ordered OBD2 (ELM) cable, since I always do for every car I get. Do you know if it would show up in diagnostics (alfadiag etc?)?
AlfaDiag doesn't work with ELM .. .needs the VAG-COM KKL interface.

FiatEcuScan does but I think only on CANBUS cars like the 147 and GT, otherwise it's the KKL again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
AlfaDiag doesn't work with ELM .. .needs the VAG-COM KKL interface.

FiatEcuScan does but I think only on CANBUS cars like the 147 and GT, otherwise it's the KKL again.
Ahh, that's not good because today on my way to work I got "Motor Control System Failure" and car went into "slow mode", even after I switched it off and started again. I'll order another cable for VAG-COM this time. :cry: That's another week or so wait though.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Aftermarket remote control

Hi there,

I am in a dilemma. I only have one key, no key code card (fought it 2nd hand), and for the grand finale, the only key is damaged.

http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/8584/image0307.jpg

So there is many variant how to solve this, but i normaly want best and cheap one.

1. Buy some aftermarket remote control (sorry this page is on my natural language)
Далечински управувач за вашиот автомобил | Колектива

This thing comes with 2 remote controls, with flip blades. Cost 30 euro with 1 year guarantee. Exstra costs, blade cut 8 euros for the 1 key (and put code chip from my Alfa key), and for the second key also blade cut and second code chip, together ~40 euros.

2. Go to the car lock smith, hope it has some Alfa key and pay ~150 euros for spare key with remote, and repair my 1 st key ~30 euros.

:S
What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hi there,

I am in a dilemma. I only have one key, no key code card (fought it 2nd hand), and for the grand finale, the only key is damaged.

http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/8584/image0307.jpg

So there is many variant how to solve this, but i normaly want best and cheap one.

1. Buy some aftermarket remote control (sorry this page is on my natural language)
Далечин�ки управувач за вашиот автомобил | Колектива

This thing comes with 2 remote controls, with flip blades. Cost 30 euro with 1 year guarantee. Exstra costs, blade cut 8 euros for the 1 key (and put code chip from my Alfa key), and for the second key also blade cut and second code chip, together ~40 euros.

2. Go to the car lock smith, hope it has some Alfa key and pay ~150 euros for spare key with remote, and repair my 1 st key ~30 euros.

:S
What do you think?

Thanks in advance.
Not sure about Macedonia, but in NZ (at least with my VW). I simply went to the dealer (I had no code, no documentation just my one key and my ID - passport; driver license etc.) and asked for an extra key.

I had two choices
- simple key (no buttons for keyless entry) or
- key with all the fancy extras.

He then checked my car VIN number then verified my identity (since I'm the legal owner of the car) and a week later I had a brand new key.

It was a year or two ago, however from memory simple key was about $300 NZD and better one was around $1k NZD. Check your insurance policy because you might be able to claim some money back from your insurance. I'm pretty sure you can do the same with Alfa dealer and I wouldn't be surprised if prices were about the same.

I would much prefer going with OEM option than getting some third party fobs etc. :rant:

EDIT: Some repair services on ebay?

What about something like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Repair-Service-Faulty-2-3-Button-Remote-Key-Fob-Alfa-Romeo-166-156-147-GT-/180722937471?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item2a13ed2e7f#ht_3891wt_954

1 - 19 of 19 Posts