Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've finally been brave and set aside a morning to fit my new aluminium interior trim.

Here is my breakdown of how to do it, if anyone is thinking of doing the same job.

Overall time: 3 hours
Tools required: T15 hex key (I used an allen key), flat blade screw driver, phillips screwdriver, 12mm socket.

Disconnect battery, quick release on the - 12mm socket and phillips for the +

Undo the pressstud holding gaiter trim, undo the velcro side. Slide flat blade under the gear trim from the handbrake end, ease the trim up, repeat both sides, this simply unclips. Carefully remove until the cables can be seen, remove these. Slide gaiter over top of gearstick.

Remove the switch unit from the old surround and fix to the new one.

Undo the two lower screws on the centre console, these can only be seen when the gear surround is out.

Remove the stereo.

Remove the top3 airvents. I used a simple piece of metal bent into a hook to slide into the vent and pull forward with a sharp tug. Repeat this with each one.

Undo the 2 screws that can be seen though the left and right vents.

Undo the 2 screws either side of the stereo hole.

Carefully pull the console out, there are clips at the top and bottom to undo, a sharp tug brings them out.

Unclip the electrics for the air con, the start button and the key slot.

Once removed, take off the air con control and the key unit. Then unscrew the cage/bluetooth unit from the console. These then need to be attached the the new console.

Fitting is the reverse of this. Console first, then gear surround.

I will add the other trim as a reply to this, run out of picture space...

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
And to continue......

Small trim under the dash board...

Remove the drivers side dashboard side trim, unclips with a flat blade screwdriver. This will show the T15 bolt. Remove this bolt, use a screw driver to prise the trim from the dash, be careful, the metal retaining pins are held in firmly.

The passenger side trim above the glove box is very simliar. This one seems to remove much easier.

The airbag removal is a pain. Make sure the battery is still disconnected!!!
Using the T15 hex key remove the 4 bolts under the lower steering column trim. Unclip the trim, this needs prising from the top section.

Turn the steering wheel 90 degrees to access the small hole in the rear of the steering wheel. Using a medium flat blade driver, push into the hole and turn. After much faffing and many attempts the clip on the inside of the wheel should release. Do this for both sides.

Carefully unplug the electrics for the airbag, place it on the floor, airbag side up.

The steering wheel trim then unscrews from 3 points behind the wheel, find them via the small holes in the leather. Unclip the electrics.

Add new trim as a reverse.

Reconnect the airbag electrics, push firmly back in place.

Refit the lower column trim.

Job done....

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Wow - very brave! I'm not sure I would have taken that on! Having experienced both though I can understand why you'd want to change it.:)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
wow your a brave man Wynne71, great write up and pics, will come in useful for me in the future, thread saved.:thumbs:

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im chuffed to bits actually. Thought I might have bitten off a bit more than I could chew, nearly gave up on the air bag!
Rest was okay though.

This difference is staggering. Not just to look at, but it is far more tactile, much more pleasant environment.
Glad I bothered.

I got the new trim from a breakers in Oxford, absoute bargain. New the pieces come to over £300 easily. Mine was all in for about a sixth of that..

Ended up with the slightly bronze tint on the aluminium, with the slight stripes set in. I think it sets the Stromboli Grey off a treat.

So, what once was a Tourismo is rapidly turning into a Tourisso, or is it Lussismo??

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, and much appreciated over the phone help from John at SimplyAlfa. He gave me the confidence to have a go. Cheers! :cool:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Thats really useful..... did you notice any float of any parts behind the airbag? Mine floats about all over the place and is causing knock through steering as the wheel rotates and something heavy moves about.... will have to get dealer to investigate first when they change the rack!

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds to me like one of the clips has snapped or come loose. The airbag unit is pretty heavy. Once it is clipped into the proper fittings it is pretty solid.
Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nearly a week on and I am going to tempt fate.....all is still well, nothing has fallen off or snapped since messing with the gubbings of the interior.

I had a huge problem with what I thought was the B and M, but was infact an issue with my phone, sorted now.

Everyone who has seen it has commented on how much better the interior is. Happy.

Davey_Saxo bought the plastic stuff off me and is planning on fitting carbon fibre trim to these parts, then re-fitting to his car. I am very interested in the results of this experiment. Hope all goes well!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Fantastico - I've got a new aluminium console to fit as I knackered my current one when I removed the stereo to fit a Parrot system. Looks easy enough......

Got mine from Autolusso for £70 inc postage - they had a brand new spare one.

Hoping to make a slight nick to channel the wire from the Parrot screen - at present it runs round the binnacles. No-one notices but I know its there.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Wow! :wow:

Fantastic 'how-to' guide :thumbs::cool: Well done! Gold star award ;)

Getting my Ti trim taken out and carbon fibre jobbie put back in....

...and no, the Ti trim won't be for sale :p Its being sold with the car at some point along with all the other bits and bobs Ive upgraded over the last year :thumbs::lol:

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hunter, looking forward to the photos of the new trim. I dare not even ask how much the cost to do the job is! :eek:
And I haven't had a Gold Star in ages, cheers! It is usually me giving them out in assembly, not the other way round...

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
No problem mariusioo!

The pictures don't really do it justice, but the feel is sooooo much better.
See what you think of these:

I think you can see the difference in colour, the last photo shows the trim effect. Am still smiling about it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm sure it feels as good as it looks... :thumbs:

Could you direct me to some websites where i can buy this kit or similar (maybe you did some research before finding this one)

PM if it's against forum rules ;)

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I searched on Ebay to find parts for a 159. I came across a breakers who were splitting a crashed 159, they had the cream leather seats and door cards in an auction. As part of the auction they had all the metal trim. I emailed to ask if they were willing to split the parts if the auction was not successful.
As the lot din't sell I phoned up, made an offer and the trim was with me the next day!
It really is worth keeping an eye open on auction sites, there might just be that bargain out there.

This is where I found my bits:
http://autos.blue-sock.com/clients/9/bitem.php?count=0&make=ALFA ROMEO&model=%&trimlevel=&fueltype=%&pics=pics&orderby=makemodel&value=82015

Hope this is useful.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts