Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It would be so good if I could use my new Spider 3.2 V6 Q4 to take my daughter to/from school ... but most days she has to take her cello in!

It's in a hard fibreglass case so strapping it to an external bootlid rack would be fine. The official Alfa rack is one option, but it doesn't look particularly pretty (based on the only picture I found which was in another thread on this forum) - and also I'd prefer one that can be removed when not required.

Any ideas, anyone? - apart from putting the cello on the front seat and the daughter in the boot?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
swap cello for something smaller like a bango :lol:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Saw someone transporting a sofa in a Megan cabrio
today. :rolleyes: :lol:

·
Registered
806 Posts
the used to be a member of a local band in Sheffield who owned a spider and played double base, used to carry it in the passenger seat no problems, now you just need to see if your daughter can fit in the boot or get a lift from someone else:rolleyes:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Would your daughter fit into the cello case as well? Or you could have double the enjoyment and deliver your daughter first then return for the cello.
All I can think of is pushing the seat right back and resting the cello on her knees and shoulder or is it too big for that?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
will it fit where the roof goes ?

could always partially open the roof, put in cello and then close the roof again ... I've been told this is a solution for golf clubs ... although it does mean you have to remember you can't put the roof away !

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well ... thanks to all for the suggestions (especially the less practical ones!) - I love the idea of putting daughter into cello case - or maybe just take the back off the cello and put her right inside the instrument? - it might improve the vibrato...

Anyway, this weekend I'll take some photos of daughter, cello and Spider and post them here so you can see the extent of the problem!

Mike

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All I can think about is the old "joke" about how you get four elephants in a Mini :lol:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
There is an aftermarket one for the BMW Z3 ............. 'er indoors had one on hers.........

But you need to make four holes in the bootlid............. There are 4 small round chrome fittings you fit............. and the rack then its to them.......... It's a very neat but permanent (obviously) job ........ When you take the rack off you just have four round chrome bits about the size id a 2 pence piece........... Sorry I don't know where they come from but a google search maybe ????

Or this one is pretty good...........

Car Boot Rack | Car Boot & Trunk Luggage Racks for Convertibles

.....Alternatively, get your daughter to dump the Cello and take up playing the recorder or somesuch :)

Cheers to All
Peter

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, so daughter turned up her nose at posing for a petrolheads forum. So here's the car and the cello on their own.

1. So far so good, but where does the daughter go?
2. Hmmm, might be a problem at speed.
3. Even more of a problem at speed.

In fairness to the daughter, her first reaction was:

"Dad, you've just bought that car mainly because you thought it looked good - so why do you want to spoil it by putting a luggage rack on it?"

"Leave the cello behind - I won't have to do any practice, and your car stays cool!"

She has a point.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
OK, so daughter turned up her nose at posing for a petrolheads forum. So here's the car and the cello on their own.

1. So far so good, but where does the daughter go?
2. Hmmm, might be a problem at speed.
3. Even more of a problem at speed.

In fairness to the daughter, her first reaction was:

"Dad, you've just bought that car mainly because you thought it looked good - so why do you want to spoil it by putting a luggage rack on it?"

"Leave the cello behind - I won't have to do any practice, and your car stays cool!"

She has a point.

:lol: I like the attempts though

·
Registered
343 Posts
Buy another cello so she has one for home and one for school?

Burn the cello? - that will be easier on the ears too!

Buy a 159 Sportwagon specifically for the school / cello run....

·
Registered
216 Posts
On picture 2 where the cello is behind the seat - try tilting it down so that the strings go behind the drivers seat. You may need to tilt your seat forward a little but it may work?

I'd also paint the case to match the car!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
On picture 2 where the cello is behind the seat - try tilting it down so that the strings go behind the drivers seat. You may need to tilt your seat forward a little but it may work?

I'd also paint the case to match the car!
+1 ... (and +2 for painting the case :thumbs:)

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
mike - great thread ... did something similar at the weekend trying to work out how to put a set of gold clubs and a trolley in my spider ... getting old so might take up golf ... found the answer ... trolley goes in the boot, club bag goes where the roof folds away to!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I put my golf clubs behind the seats in the main cabin (still think you could do that with a cello) and the trolley is an easy fit in the boot. The only other thing I did was to buy a genuine boot mat from Alfa to protect the boot from the trolley wheels. Lots of dead grass after 18 holes!

Fore!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts