Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These are the pics from my write off crash of my GTV.

Just thought I'd share! Pics taken at 11.00 at night so they are a bit dark or blurry!

The first one is taken from the bit of kerb I clipped, the car bounced off the kerb and then went straight across the road, up the flat faced kerb and came to rest on the path. Glad nothing was on the other side of the road!

The second shows the wheel tucked into the wheel arch. Look snug, the knuckle joint on that side snapped and ripped the drive shaft out of the gearbox, cracked the wheel, and then broke the upper wishbone.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
These two show the damage a bit closer up. The first shows the damage as it was, no impact on the bodywork at all, nothing wrong with the front bumper, the second shows the effects of being dragged up the flat bed of a recovery truck. The wheel is pulled right back into the wheel arch, then buckled the back half of the front wing, the front bumper has also been torn off the car, and has now been split.

Bit of advice, if you ever hurt your GTV or any car in this way insist on a flat lift recovery vehicle. Not a flat bed truck with a big winch!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sorry to see that Andy, trust your ok. Bad week for GTV's, I think mine will be written of as well after last night's little prang.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This was back on the 3rd of September. It was a write off. The garage said it would take about 4 hours to fix it in total, the bits are the big cost. Estimated fix price was £2700, with £500 labour and paintshop consumables. The other £2200 was all suspension, brake and wheel parts from Alfa. If it had cost less in parts it could have been repaired!

I managed it by going over a slightly raised mini roundabout at a perfectly reasonable speed on a 30mph built up road in the rain. I steered a little around the bend, the car did the first steer, then didn't quite make the exit. Clipped the kerb quite gently, this broke the suspension a bit, I was then flunge accross the road and the other kerb totalled it!

I was totally unhurt in it all. Just a fair bit confused!

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Sorry to read this Andy :(

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It it worth keeping hold of it and getting some spares from a breakers?
Doesnt look like a difficult repair

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow - that is some damage for just clipping a kerb :wow:

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Its annoying really because if that was a race car they would have it fixed in 30mins. Crazy...theses insurence companies

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To be honest, I wouldn't have had any faith in it if it had been fixable. It shouldn't have missed a simple wet steer in the conditions and at the speed. It is meant to be a grippy well sorted sportscar. It couldn't managed a simple bend? No, I don't think so. I have travelled this route hundreds of times in many different cars, all at about the same speed. Of course slower in the wet! My Ford Ka handled better than my GTV! My 156 also managed that same stretch in very similar conditions a few days before with no hassle and no drama. The road was not greasy, or covered in some contaminant, I wandered over it, and tried to skid on my old treadless trainers while I waited for the recovery truck.

I was mainly to blame, but I also blame the car. It should not have skidded in the conditions, and at the speed I was going. I will never touch a GTV or Spider for that matter again.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The car was collected from the insurance assessor on Monday of last week (15th September) it will appear in a local breakers yard, or maybe a salvage auction soon if it hasn't already!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On the repair it front, the bits are the big cost. About £2000in parts new. It needed, 3 new alloy wheels and tyres, All new wishbones across the front, new hubs, new brake lines, new drive shaft (at least passenger side) New knuckles, new front bumper (or repair and paint) new passenger side wing, new sump (badly scored as the car hit the floor) and almost certainly a lot of other bits and pieces such as calipers holders, discs, pads etc. That assumes the front mounting members are not bent! It really isn't worth it. The car books at about £2250. After buying it back as salvage, then all the bits, then the enhanced MoT it'd cost way more than that!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mmmm - no, I was just wondering for bits....although the subject of track car came up when Mr PG saw it :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm in Peterborough, I guess it didn't get dragged that far, so I assume a call to some local breakers might be useful.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
To be honest, I wouldn't have had any faith in it if it had been fixable. It shouldn't have missed a simple wet steer in the conditions and at the speed. It is meant to be a grippy well sorted sportscar. It couldn't managed a simple bend? No, I don't think so.

Perhaps you hit some diesel or aquaplaned? I know you said you went over the spot wiht your trainer but perhaps you missed a spot? I'm not blaming you or pointing the finger at all, but it just seems strange that the car didnt react to your steering input.

Best of luck with the payout from insurance company etc! :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
To be honest, I wouldn't have had any faith in it if it had been fixable. It shouldn't have missed a simple wet steer in the conditions and at the speed. It is meant to be a grippy well sorted sportscar. It couldn't managed a simple bend? No, I don't think so. I have travelled this route hundreds of times in many different cars, all at about the same speed. Of course slower in the wet! My Ford Ka handled better than my GTV! My 156 also managed that same stretch in very similar conditions a few days before with no hassle and no drama. The road was not greasy, or covered in some contaminant, I wandered over it, and tried to skid on my old treadless trainers while I waited for the recovery truck.

I was mainly to blame, but I also blame the car. It should not have skidded in the conditions, and at the speed I was going. I will never touch a GTV or Spider for that matter again.
My mates Clio did a similar thing when the suspension was about to break. I wonder if something was corroded? U live near the sea?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
It could have been a cracked front wishbone that caused it.It's not unheard of on the GTV.Sorry to see another one written off though, but at least no one was hurt.

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
That sucks mate, couldnt believe hte amount of damage done to it:wow: . I nearly did the same racing a work mate out of works car park in me Punto. Thats what I get for racing though! Yeah thought I would say it before someone else did:tut: :rolleyes:

P.s I won, ****ed all over him :D

·
Administrator
46,116 Posts
I think I would be considering getting quite angry with a recovery company who chose to drag it with a wheel hanging off - thereby causing loads of bodywork damage - instead of removing the wheel first.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts