Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume its done on the slave cylinder? Where about is this on the car? Is it under the battery and batter holder like other Alfa's?

I presume its a case of twisting the bleed nipple, pressing the peddle down until clear liquid comes out without bubbles, tightening the nipple back up, lifting the pedal back up and then repeat until it appears no more air is in the system?

In the long run I imagine its a case of a new slave cylinder and as a result, is it a new clutch job since the slave cylinder itself is in the clutch like other Alfa models?

Any help would be helpful :)

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Not familiar with the car itself...but looking at E-Per, you are right, it's a concentric clutch slave cylinder inside the bell housing, so gearbox off to change it. Slave and clutch aren't inter-dependant...but if you are paying to remove the gearbox and replace the slave, you may as well have a new clutch while it's off if you can stretch to it.

As for bleeding....looks as if there is a bleed nipple on the slave where it pokes out the top of the bellhousing. Appears to be made of plastic...so beware!! Technique you describe sounds fine to me.
Check this for a semi-helpful picture; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Concentric-Slave-Cyl-Alfa-147-1-6i-16v-TS-12-03-/190350100051?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c51c00653

All this said, could also be a master cylinder problem as well....

HTH

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
The TS gearbox is different to anything I've come across before. The "nipple" doesn't undo but you partially pull out the feed pipe but lifting the clip that holds it in. Only lift it carefully as it has two positions: first to bleed, second to remove completely.

BTW The nipple is part of the slave cylinder and not designed to move so don't break it off ... :eek: ... it's a gearbox out job to replace the slave as you said as it's inside the bellhousing and part of the release mechanism. V6 and diesels are lucky .. it's outside.

You'll probably need a 2nd person to help push the pedal down and return it as it doesn't string back on its own. Also you will need to you pull the hose out and push it back each time ... so lift clip, pull pipe, push pedal down, push hose back, lift up on pedal, ... repeat .... otherwise it's a real "faff" to run back and forth to the clutch pedal and then back to the hose .... :rolleyes:

And watch the reservoir levels while you do this.

I've also got this on my website as a "how-to" ... link below in signature area. It's a PDF so printable.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
In my experience with the last 10 147s ive bled one simply removes the circlip holding the feedpipe to the slave cylinder pull the pipe out vey slightly watch the air come out of the nipple wait until theres no air then all done.Its the same as fiats ive not needed to pressure bleed or "pump" the pedal once gravity does the trick.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Ah, that's more like it - people who have actually done one!! As I said, I've never actually seen/done a 147 so was just trying to help out based on poor info...

Do you chaps know if there is an internal bleed channel within the slave that is exposed by partially removing the fluid coupling, or does it simply rely on gravity filling the cylinder itself? Just curious - I'm never likely to run anything but a V6 personally.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
In my experience with the last 10 147s ive bled one simply removes the circlip holding the feedpipe to the slave cylinder pull the pipe out vey slightly watch the air come out of the nipple wait until theres no air then all done.Its the same as fiats ive not needed to pressure bleed or "pump" the pedal once gravity does the trick.
I'll try that next time ... but my way was based on when I bleed both brakes and clutch to replace all the (very) old fluid .. and pumping was still much quicker ...

·
Registered
61 Posts
To bring back this thread.....

Try as i might, i just cant get feed pipe to budge. Tried twisting etc, but no movement at all either in or our of the slave. Lifted the circlip no problems etc.

Any hints?? Should i just be brave and pull harder than i think i am now??

Ta

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
We are talking TSpark slave here right?

The circlip has two positions: one should allow the pipe to pull out a bit to bleed it and further will leat the pipe come out completely.

It's probably just the rubber o-ring sticking so try and bit more. As you are bleeding it anyway, if it comes right out you should be OK.

On my greenserpent website (link in signature area below) there are some hints&tips. One is about bleeding the TS clutch and has a couple pics. Warning though: that piece of flexible pipe and a short piece of metal pipe is around £35 new!! And you don't want to break the slave body as that's around £70 and you have to take the gearbox out to change it!!! :cry:

K

·
0 Posts
I failed miserably using the pedal pumping technique. I went out and bought a Gunson's eezi-bleed rig and that makes it a lot simpler.

·
Registered
61 Posts
We are talking TSpark slave here right?

The circlip has two positions: one should allow the pipe to pull out a bit to bleed it and further will leat the pipe come out completely.

It's probably just the rubber o-ring sticking so try and bit more. As you are bleeding it anyway, if it comes right out you should be OK.

On my greenserpent website (link in signature area below) there are some hints&tips. One is about bleeding the TS clutch and has a couple pics. Warning though: that piece of flexible pipe and a short piece of metal pipe is around £35 new!! And you don't want to break the slave body as that's around £70 and you have to take the gearbox out to change it!!! :cry:
It was your guide i was following earlier (yes t spark). I tried it with the circlip in both positions, as well as completely remove, but just didnt want to budge. Mind, I was trying to do it without removing the battery etc, so will remove this and see if the extra room helps.

Cheers for the reply.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
It was your guide i was following earlier (yes t spark). I tried it with the circlip in both positions, as well as completely remove, but just didnt want to budge. Mind, I was trying to do it without removing the battery etc, so will remove this and see if the extra room helps.

Cheers for the reply.
I know this is an old thread but is this the same procedure on a giulietta? The slave cylinder looks like it's made of plastic and seems to wobble about a bit in a rubber bush?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello everyone, looks like i have air in the system so if someone is able to explain me step-by-step how to bleed air it would be awsome, i have 2003 147, 1.6ts with 105hp,
When i start the car clutch pedal has a bit of empty travel, and after driving for a bit that travel increases a lot, to the point where i press the pedal to the floor put it in gear
and it grabs when i lift the pedal ever so slightly, i am thinking about 5 milimetars or less, so i suspect air in the hydroulic system, fluid level is just below max so i think that is not the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts