Alfa Romeo Forum banner

HOW TO: Blank off the EGR Valve (Part 1)

11K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Eastwood420 
#1 ·
This guide is only applicable to cars with an EDC15 ECU, EDC16+ really need to get it switched off "properly" as part of a remap ... anyway

I bought a couple of blanking plates from Dan (pud237), although I have seen them on fleabay too

Font Label

The EGR is located to the right side of engine at the back.

Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Automotive engine part

Unscrew the 2 hex bolts that attachs the intake, and then unscrew the 3 bolts holding the EGR on to allow it to move freely(ish)

Auto part Fuel line Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part

Slot in one of the blanking plates and screw back up

Auto part Fuel line Engine Vehicle Carburetor

Part 1 Done!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
The second blanking plate goes between the exhaust manifold and the EGR heat exchanger (on the front of the engine to the right of the turbo)

Auto part Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

Unfortunately the hex bolts were completely seized on and wouldn't budge, so I've soaked them in some plus gas and I'll give them a go another time :eek: ... or failing that next time the car is in for a service I'll get them to fit it :lol:

#3 ·
You're not trying to put the blanking plate on the exhaust manifold are you? These are a different shape, slightly bigger I think.. My second one was fitted on the underside of the EGR valve.

#5 ·
Ahh yes I thought it would be best to go on the exhaust manifold and it looked about the right shape size, but obviously not :eek: ... oh well better get out there and put it on underneath then

#6 ·
Part 2!!!!

So following on from Dan's advice :lol: ... the hex bolts on the bottom of the EGR wouldn't budge in situ, so I undid the connector to the heat exchanger and pulled the whole thing off

Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Car

From there it was easy(ish) with a bit of plus gas to undo the bolts ...
and look what I found inside :vomit:

Auto part Pipe

Anyway from there it's easy to slide in the new blanking plate and fit it all back to the car :thumbs:

Auto part

#7 ·
You may need to bend that pipe to the heat exchanger a little, as the thickness of the EGR blanking plate pushes the EGR valve up a little and the bolts might not screw into the plenum so easy.

#8 ·
After I'd reattached the heat exchanger, I loosly attached all the bolts (just to get them in) and then tightened them all up gradually ... didn't post a picture up of it finished as you can't see the second plate anyway!!!

#10 ·
Well I think it's the first time it's been off the car in 9 years/160k :eek::eek: ... hence why I thought I'd get round to blanking it off before it went wrong!!!

#12 ·
Hi, I blanked the egr valve off on my 156 and I only used 1 blank fitted between the inlet manifold and the valve, I dont think there is any need for the second blank as the flow of gas will be stopped by the blank.
The egr valve has been disabled on my 159 in the ecu so that has the same effect as only fitting 1 blank.
Both cars run much better with an improvement in throttle response and mpg.
The only down side is they seem to take longer to warm up due to no heating of the water through the heat exchanger.
Its a job well worth doing

#14 · (Edited)
Zombie thread

Sorry if I'm bringing the thread back from dead but it fits perfectly for my questions

I've got the EGR blocked only between the heat exchange and the valve similar to below description:
Hi, I blanked the egr valve off on my 156 and I only used 1 blank fitted between the inlet manifold and the valve, I dont think there is any need for the second blank as the flow of gas will be stopped by the blank.
The egr valve has been disabled on my 159 in the ecu so that has the same effect as only fitting 1 blank.
I think the same and Isn't it also the same effect as if the EGR is stuck in close position?

Are there any issues with the heat exchanger when the EGR valve is blanked off like this?
Wandering also ..
Can the heat exchange be removed (please don't shoot If I'm talking nonsense)
use blanks for 8 and 11 get rid of part 6 and 1?
See below diagram from eper

This guide is only applicable to cars with an EDC15 ECU, EDC16+ really need to get it switched off "properly" as part of a remap ... anyway
My car is a GT 1.9 JTD 2006 and after the EGR block didn;t bring any MSCF or error of any kind ,
Also it was done together with a MAF replacement

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.