Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

What's the best way to blank off the washer pipe to the headlight washers. I can't find a replacement washer jet anywhere (even thought I'd got lucky on a German website). Bumper is off and I've disconnected the pipe that goes into the splitter for the two jets. I tried screwing a bolt in and clamping with a jubilee clip but then realised that the water runs round the thread and drips out.

Cheers,

Pete

·
Administrator
87,603 Posts
Cover the bolt threads in grease before threading it into the pipe & use a bolt without full thread so that the unthreaded section can seal the pipe with the jubilee clip :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
You could wrap PTFE tape around the thread if you can't find a suitable 'bung'.
Pull the headlamp washer fuse as well otherwise you'll end up at square one again.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
That reminds me , I blanked mine off (with a bung) and it has since been through an MOT without it even being noticed. I don't have Xenon though which I beleive it is a requirement for headlamp washers to work with Xenon's.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
That reminds me , I blanked mine off (with a bung) and it has since been through an MOT without it even being noticed. I don't have Xenon though which I beleive it is a requirement for headlamp washers to work with Xenon's.
I believe you're right regards xenon/washers/MOT.

I've never really seen the point of headlamp washers with regular lights....they just waste water and make a mess of your recently polished bonnet :lol:

Having said that I am one of those people who if I have something on my car I like it to work....but I've let my headlamp washers slip through the net.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
double the tube over on its self and secure with a tightly pulled tie wrap

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I want reinstate the washers if I can ever get a replacement but fortuantely don't have Xanons to worry about.

Pete

·
Banned
158 Posts
Simplest solution, which escapes most people, is to simply remove the cable/connection that goes to the pump and tells the pump that headlights are on.

·
Administrator
87,603 Posts
That won't stop a leaking washer jet though & removing the headlight washer fuse is even easier ;)

·
Banned
158 Posts
No, it is not easier, the cable is right there, open the engine, pull the cable and that's all. The fuse is more complicated to get to.
It will stop the leaking, obviously, as the pump will NOT work anymore, just like removing the fuse. The pump only works when headlights are on, if it's never told the headlights are on, it never works.
I had to remove the headlight washers as they wasted the fluid and dirtied the car, this was the easiest possible way.

·
Administrator
87,603 Posts
My washer jets still dripped & drained the tank, even though I never used the pump water still made it's way through it to the leaking jets, that's why I blocked the pipe & removed the fuse.

S

·
0 Posts
No, it is not easier, the cable is right there, open the engine, pull the cable and that's all. The fuse is more complicated to get to.
It will stop the leaking, obviously, as the pump will NOT work anymore, just like removing the fuse. The pump only works when headlights are on, if it's never told the headlights are on, it never works.
I had to remove the headlight washers as they wasted the fluid and dirtied the car, this was the easiest possible way.

There is a valve in the middle of the front bumper that should stop any water coming out of the washers until the motor runs. If the valve is not working/worn the washers, or any disconnected pipe will carry on dribbling, even if the motor is disconnected. The water in the tank is higher than the level of the washer jets, so it will flow out.

To stop the water coming out first disconnect the wiring to the motor. If that doesn't stop water dribbling out, replace the valve.

If a cheap/free fix is needed, unplug the motor, fold over and zip tie the pipe.

·
Premium Member
7,523 Posts
Not on the 147. pulling the fuse is 5 seconds work. It's F5, 20 amp in the fusebox next to the battery....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've disconnected the pipe at the valve and plugged with a ptfe taped bolt and removed the fuse for the pump.

Now just need wait for a new jet to turn up so I can put it all back together again!

Thanks for the advice.

Pete

·
Registered
314 Posts
Not on the 147. pulling the fuse is 5 seconds work. It's F5, 20 amp in the fusebox next to the battery....
Thats exactly what I have done, was getting irritated with it washing my bonnet when I only wanted the windscreen cleaned.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts