Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
What SR said. It's pretty much a reflex action for me. I would add that it's a work driven issue and not, unsurprisingly, that I am the world's most popular man.

At the moment things are even worse and I'm having to wake up periodically during the night to check hence my posting on here at quarter to four in the morning where I currently am :(

We've become slaves to messaging devices. Sadly I'm as shackled as anybody else but just can't bring myself to break the chains so only have myself to blame :(

A

·
0 Posts
What SR said. It's pretty much a reflex action for me. I would add that it's a work driven issue and not, unsurprisingly, that I am the world's most popular man.

At the moment things are even worse and I'm having to wake up periodically during the night to check hence my posting on here at quarter to four in the morning where I currently am :(

We've become slaves to messaging devices. Sadly I'm as shackled as anybody else but just can't bring myself to break the chains so only have myself to blame :(
I was 'gifted' a company iPhone which has my work & home email on it along with work, home and wife's calendars, etc. It practically sleeps with me. (checks current time) :rolleyes:

The smartphone has recently hit the top spot as the item touched the most times, it being touched upto 500 times per day in some cases. Anyone guess what item this knocked off the top spot? We're talking in the last 100 years...

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Neveeeer'! I'll come on AO,:D when roused early from my slumbers just for a chuckle or two but message checking,:(: well in short I get zero of any consequence, and I really am not at all bothered about that fact.:):

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I was 'gifted' a company iPhone which has my work & home email on it along with work, home and wife's calendars, etc. It practically sleeps with me. (checks current time) :rolleyes:

The smartphone has recently hit the top spot as the item touched the most times, it being touched upto 500 times per day in some cases. Anyone guess what item this knocked off the top spot? We're talking in the last 100 years...
Psion?

My work colleagues are in Greece, so always 2 hours ahead, so there is usually something work related waiting for me when I wake up at 6am. So yes I check within 5 minutes of waking up (7 days a week).

At times I hate the Blackberry, but then it does give so much "freedom" away from an office. Couldn't do without it....

R

·
0 Posts
^^ you're right there. There is some upside to be derived from mobile tech in terms of freedom from a desk, immediacy of response and the ability to be effective at times which might previously have been off limits. As an example when my schedule allows I might trade an extra half an hour at home with the family for the fact that I can catch up on emails and be productive for the duration of my train journey in to work.

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
^^ you're right there. There is some upside to be derived from mobile tech in terms of freedom from a desk, immediacy of response and the ability to be effective at times which might previously have been off limits. As an example when my schedule allows I might trade an extra half an hour at home with the family for the fact that I can catch up on emails and be productive for the duration of my train journey in to work.
Agree completely. I work with timezone ranging from -6 to +8, so I'm often on the phone at odd times and there is always mail arriving. I switch my BB over to an evening mode about half seven unless I have something specific to do, otherwise there would be no peace.

I take RSK's approach of trading off time as much as I can; without a mobile device of some sort I wouldn't be able to so. Being able to pick where and when I can work is one of the things I find most useful when balancing the needs of a total of three children in two separate locations, both nearly three hours away.

Short answer to the op, it's the second thing I do each morning.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If there is a work issue on my mind over a weekend I will wake up deal with it and then relax. I've just spent an hour on work related issues and I've now got a clear mind and I'm ready for a shower, breakfast and some down time. If I hadn't done it this way it would have played on my mind all weekend.

When I need time away from work, I just don't check it until I am ready. In short I check it as often as I need to in order to maintain some work/life balance.

In answer to the OP though, I don't routinely check anything (electronic) as my first waking act.

A

·
0 Posts
tv remote control
Psion?

My work colleagues are in Greece, so always 2 hours ahead, so there is usually something work related waiting for me when I wake up at 6am. So yes I check within 5 minutes of waking up (7 days a week).

At times I hate the Blackberry, but then it does give so much "freedom" away from an office. Couldn't do without it....
Nope, neither of these. The answer is a cigarette packet.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts