Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a petrol 156 for a family runaround. Been running diesels awhile, and I recall the 2 litre twinspark 147 we had was just OK performance wise.

Spotted a very tempting 156 saloon and a simlar Sportwagon, but they are both just the small engines. Do you think they will be acceptable loaded up with 4 adults, or should I stick out for a JTS? They are temptingly cheap.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My 156 1.8 VELOCE, is fast enough, if all of the part are functioning correctly. pre-facelift, you can pick them up for a song but take somebody with you, who knows what to look out for. It is a fantastic drive with great allround performance

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
The 1.8 is pretty good, but the 1.6 can feel a bit underpowered.

The 2 litre is better than both of them though and has more torque.

All 3 will be similar on fuel economy.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My 1.8 is fast enough but you do have to rev it. When I first got it I didn't think it was that quick but I realised that was down to 'driver error'!

It's perfectly fast enough on the motorways and is a good cruiser. I've taken the family to the south of France twice in it and it was very comfy and pleasurable to drive.

In my view it's a very good balance between decent performance, nice engine sound and reasonable economy.

Just don't expect to win any races in one!

·
Registered
78 Posts
My 1.8 is fast enough but you do have to rev it. When I first got it I didn't think it was that quick but I realised that was down to 'driver error'!

It's perfectly fast enough on the motorways and is a good cruiser. I've taken the family to the south of France twice in it and it was very comfy and pleasurable to drive.

In my view it's a very good balance between decent performance, nice engine sound and reasonable economy.

Just don't expect to win any races in one!
Can you explain the "driver error" and what you did to correct it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
156 1.6l

I ran a 156 with the small [1.6] engine for 30000 miles. Ok, it's not the quickest, but not much difference to the 1.8 or even the 2.0 if I'm honest. In my opinion you don't notice a significant improvement until you drive the V6 or the 1.9 diesel.
As usual when buying secondhand, condition and value for money are the most important considerations.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Easy!....I simply wasn't pushing the loud pedal hard enough!

I've since found that the twinnies don't do much before 3000rpm so you really do have to put in a bit of effort if you want it to shift along.

All in all I think the 1.8 performance is pretty good.

I recently drove my brothers Audi A4 3.0 V6 Quattro. Obviously a different beast altogether and although it was lovely it felt...well sort lardy compared to my 156.

My friend has a 1.6 S/W though and says it's pretty gutless.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
my 1.8 is pretty rapid:D but it is the revvier of the 3. you have to make up for the lack of torque by going towards 5 and 7k, thing is, it doesnt mind, very free reving, whereas the 2.0 less so, but the 2.0 has more bottom end pull. mine will cruise at xxxmph all day long, and get there pretty quick too. and iv come from a 2.4 stilo, and mine was rapid:D

the 2.0 jts power output you need to take with a pinch of salt, as it often came with less than the 2.0 and in some cases less than the 1.8. remember there is only 10bhp difference between the 1.8 and the 2.0, but both produce there power and torque in different ways.

depends what you want. avoid the 1.6, the 1.8 likes revs and the 2.0 has more torque bet less willing to rev. take your pick:thumbs:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a 1.6 and it doesn't react to being floored and the fuel consumption suffers. Drove a Mito and you could feel the difference when you increased the pressure on the pedal.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
mine reacts, too eagerly at times:lol:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've taken the family to the south of France twice in it and it was very comfy and pleasurable to drive.
Thats useful info, one of the reasons I'm hesutating is an upcoming holiday to France, just not sure how the weeny engines react to a a bootful of cack and a mature family.

My friend has a 1.6 S/W though and says it's pretty gutless.
Yes it's a 1.6 SW I was looking at, may give it a miss then and look for a 1.8 as a mimimum.

Thanks to all for taking time to reply.

BTW there is a low mileage V6 Lusso for not much more £, needs some decent wheels though, and there is also the spectre of whatever sodomising the Govt inflicts on us by way of retrospective road tax next year, but what the hell!

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Thats useful info, one of the reasons I'm hesutating is an upcoming holiday to France, just not sure how the weeny engines react to a a bootful of cack and a mature family.

Yes it's a 1.6 SW I was looking at, may give it a miss then and look for a 1.8 as a mimimum.

Thanks to all for taking time to reply.

BTW there is a low mileage V6 Lusso for not much more £, needs some decent wheels though, and there is also the spectre of whatever ***-raping the Govt decideds on by way of retrospective road tax next year, but what the hell!
weeny engines, the cheek, my was fine going to NAD, four people and a fully loaded boot, never struggled once;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I used to find my 1.8 fairly gutless around London- but on long Motorway journeys and open roads it was really free reving and sweet; also best on fuel (over 40 mpg) at or slightly above legal French motorway speeds. From what I have heard from various sources (not just on here) the JTS is more prone to failure than the TS and is to be avoided. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I used to find my 1.8 fairly gutless around London- but on long Motorway journeys and open roads it was really free reving and sweet; also best on fuel (over 40 mpg) at or slightly above legal French motorway speeds. From what I have heard from various sources (not just on here) the JTS is more prone to failure than the TS and is to be avoided. Good luck.
strange conidering the 2.0 jts is a 2.0 TS with a different head;)

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
strange conidering the 2.0 jts is a 2.0 TS with a different head;)
The JTS tends to suffer from cam lobe wear more often, and the after effects of metal particles in the oil. Plus there is the carbon build up on the inlet tract issue.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Took my family camping too last year. My kids are only small but the car was fully loaded and had two adult bikes on the back as well. Went like a dream.

The only time it has struggled was when i recently gave a lift to some family friends who are all rather large (plus their suitcases!). Boy did i have to keep the revs up going any hills. I'm sure the car almost sighed when they got out at the airport! :lol:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
The JTS tends to suffer from cam lobe wear more often, and the after effects of metal particles in the oil. Plus there is the carbon build up on the inlet tract issue.
true, i thought he was on about the bottom end if not looked after;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
My 1.8 is the same nothing happens under 3000rpm. But as it touches 3000rpm makes a lovely little purr as it accelerates through.:thumbs:

I had a 156 2.5 for 4 years. Loved it. You could just sit there on the motorway in 6th gear doing 70mph and with just a slight press the foot the rate in which it gathered speed from that point was pretty impressive. My 1.8 is a lovely cruising car aswell, Well balanced and nowhere near as nose heavy as my 2.5. so in my view the 1.8's do handle very well and on a twisty road would give a 2.5 a run for it's money if not better it. Maybe not so much on the straight though:lol:

It depends on the driver and the car most of the time though. I nurse maid mine too much I think.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've always been interested at some point in the next few years of driving down to the South of France, Monaco etc. How long did it take and how much in the way of fuel did the round trip cost on average?:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts