Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for the replies guys, interesting stuff!

Have you covered many miles in your 7 years dbxman?? Maybe your the best one to ask about things to look out for?

Mine seems to take an extra turn or three on the crank before starting when it's really cold, even after giving the glow plugs chance to heat up. I am considering fitting a new set, but soon it will be summer and it won't be a problem anymore!

Cheers again

Couple of pics of mine, on the TI wheels here, fitted some prodrives last week as the ****ty roads claimed my front right wheel!

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hello Mini.30, yep I’m the chap sky-blue-brera mentioned and I also have a red Brera 2.0 JTDM. I’ve had it from new back in 2010 so that’s over 7 years as my daily car. I find it’s a good balance between performance and economy. Plus it still look great.

As sky_blue_brera mentioned only 24 currently registered. I wonder how many of those are red? I would hazard a guess at maybe 8.
Thanks for the replies guys, interesting stuff!

Have you covered many miles in your 7 years dbxman?? Maybe your the best one to ask about things to look out for?

Mine seems to take an extra turn or three on the crank before starting when it's really cold, even after giving the glow plugs chance to heat up. I am considering fitting a new set, but soon it will be summer and it won't be a problem anymore!

Cheers again

Couple of pics of mine, on the TI wheels here, fitted some prodrives last week as the ****ty roads claimed my front right wheel!
The TI's look great as do the Prodrives. I've currently got my third choice wheels - may upgrade at some point.

Mine's in for some accident damage tomorrow after a Asda HGV couldn't keep in lane properly on a roundabout and caved in the rear wing. I'm still fuming and currently fighting out the liability with Asda who at the moment don't want to know. Here's a couple of pics of mine during happier times!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Hi all

I have owned my Brera 2.0 diesel for about 18 months now. I was just wondering if anyone else on here had one, as in the time I have owned it I have not come across another at all. How rare are they, i seem to remember reading thta 88 were registered in the UK??

Regards
It's a fair question. Brera's are rare. But in the grand scheme of things, it will be the petrol versions that eventually increase in value. That does not mean the diesel is not a great car, just less desirable - as a Alfa. But hey! I would rather have a diesel Brera than a Ford, BMW or a Merc, in the same price bracket. But to be fair, the residuals of the latter two will be greater than probably any version of the Brera - with the exception of ultra - low mileage cars.

I need to qualify the above. The Q4's are great cars, so possibly there will be an exception to the rule.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've done 55k over 7 years and apart from usual wear and tear items such as tyres, brake pads and discs, it's been pretty much trouble free.
One thing to look out for is the original front lower arm bushes are very soft and wear quite quickly. When it came to replacement I had Autolusso replace the lower arm bushes with Powerflex ones. Along with a 4 wheel alignment this really sharpens the steering and handling. As an added bonus it also cured the problem of wear on my front tyre inner edge. Definitely recommend having this done.
Had cambelt, tensioner and water pump changed a few years ago. To be honest, that's about it. Have it serviced regularly and it will go well.

Added a pic. I bought it as a pre-reg with delivery miles. Came with factory fit bi-xenons hence the headlight washers and 19inch TI alloys. Did your cars come with the roof blind? I have this but was never sure if this was an optional extra or standard in the 2.0JTDM.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've done 55k over 7 years and apart from usual wear and tear items such as tyres, brake pads and discs, it's been pretty much trouble free.
One thing to look out for is the original front lower arm bushes are very soft and wear quite quickly. When it came to replacement I had Autolusso replace the lower arm bushes with Powerflex ones. Along with a 4 wheel alignment this really sharpens the steering and handling. As an added bonus it also cured the problem of wear on my front tyre inner edge. Definitely recommend having this done.
Had cambelt, tensioner and water pump changed a few years ago. To be honest, that's about it. Have it serviced regularly and it will go well.

Added a pic. I bought it as a pre-reg with delivery miles. Came with factory fit bi-xenons hence the headlight washers and 19inch TI alloys. Did your cars come with the roof blind? I have this but was never sure if this was an optional extra or standard in the 2.0JTDM.
An extra crank or two on a very cold day seems normal. I noticed something similar last year so replaced the original 6year old battery with a brand new one just in case but didn’t make much difference.
BTW do you guys have the F40 gearbox?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sorry for the delay on this reply

So just to introduce myself better, I am a qualified mechanic having gone through the Honda apprenticeship program. I left honda in 2012 and have since worked exclusively on motorsport cars, firstly on BTCC cars for three years and now on historics (Cortinas, Capris 911 SWB's, Austins, GT40, TVR Griffith etc etc)

So due to my background I have carried out a lot of work on the Brera, after all its just past 105k now so benefits some new parts now and again! a quick list is below -

Powerflex lower arm bushes
Lowering springs fitted (Direnza)
4x ARB links
All four calipers stripped. resealed, new pistons and painted red (originally silver - 300mm brembo setup)
new discs and pads (Just standard Pagid ones)
All four wheel bearings have been done (one of them twice after wrecking my TI wheel!)
2x front upper arms
2x rear damper top mounts
All the usual service bits
Four wheel alignment (Done by hand with string and rulers - far better than the fancy electronic and laser kit, if you know what your doing!)

Im sure there is more but you get the jist, it definitely doesn't start properly when its very cold, something to look into when the weather is a bit warmer!

I have no idea what gearbox is fitted, was there an option?

I don't have a roof blind and think i prefer it without, you gain an inch of headroom without it and I have opened up the headining to reveal the glass anyway

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi all

I have owned my Brera 2.0 diesel for about 18 months now. I was just wondering if anyone else on here had one, as in the time I have owned it I have not come across another at all. How rare are they, i seem to remember reading thta 88 were registered in the UK??

Regards
It's a fair question. Brera's are rare. But in the grand scheme of things, it will be the petrol versions that eventually increase in value. That does not mean the diesel is not a great car, just less desirable - as a Alfa. But hey! I would rather have a diesel Brera than a Ford, BMW or a Merc, in the same price bracket. But to be fair, the residuals of the latter two will be greater than probably any version of the Brera - with the exception of ultra - low mileage cars.

I need to qualify the above. The Q4's are great cars, so possibly there will be an exception to the rule.
I never mentioned the value of the car and to be honest I'm not really interested in it. I love the way the Brera's look and the 2.0 diesel delivers the best mpg in the range. So that means I can drive the car I want for my 400 - 600 mile weekly commute. I couldn't do that in a petrol engines one due to the cost of the fuel

So I really don't care what other people think is valuable or desirable. My car works for me

Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Still going strong? I had this engine in 159 SW and it was really good - no swirl vane issues and less EGR and turbo vane trouble as manifold temps higher being nearer to cylinder head unlike the earlier 1.9. Not quite as efficient as Audi 2.0 TDI but more fun to drive. Looked at TBI but they advertised for much more (and remain on market listings for longer).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Still going strong? I had this engine in 159 SW and it was really good - no swirl vane issues and less EGR and turbo vane trouble as manifold temps higher being nearer to cylinder head unlike the earlier 1.9. Not quite as efficient as Audi 2.0 TDI but more fun to drive. Looked at TBI but they advertised for much more (and remain on market listings for longer).
I've had mine 2.5 years with a Celtic Tuning remap and had no problems - pulls well and decent on fuel economy. Currently on 85K.

Test drove a 159 1.75 TBi last month just to try the engine and it's a superb unit - light weight and responsive

21 - 30 of 30 Posts