1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Eveyday ... both off and onsite, it's too important not too

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Not often enough. I had a bit of a scare a couple of weeks ago, when my laptop died. I have all six months worth of my daughter's baby pics on there. Thankfully it was a fairly easy (if expensive) fix. I've now bought an external hard drive and have everything backed up on there.

·
Registered
13,600 Posts
Local stuff on my (work) laptop. Usually when I add a photo or two. The only other thing on here are my accounts spreadsheets. A copy local and a copy on a network drive.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
The iMac hourly when it's on, and I think it does a small hours back up too, to a RAID stack, and my MacBook duplicates the work stuff I have on the iMac plus I also back that up every week or so.

Am conscious that there is no geographical separation in my back-up arrangements, barring I do also have some stuff in iCloud.....

·
Registered
57,683 Posts
For the last couple of years i backup all my important stuff.

Unfortunately though i forgot to backup my England pics that i go once every year for holidays and i lost all of them when my laptop was blocked and i had to format it :(

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Considering I work in IT my home backup regime is crap, pretty much rely on maxtor software to backup to my external hard drive which is only used for backups of my desktop.

iDevices are backed up to the cloud.

Been thinking of getting a Qnap for centralised home storage and then backup to the cloud from there for years but never got around to it.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Never, one of the things you mean to do but forget as soon as you surf the web. May have to invest in an external hard drive after all these replies, I fell lazy

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Couple of times a week

I just use the free Microsoft SyncToy, which lets you back up from the resident machine to a remote, to a wireless drive, to a USB drive, or from another PC to your Hard drive, and so on.

Yiou can get it from Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155

You simply set up folders that you want to synchronise and hit 'run' a couple of times a week before you go to bed.

Free and easy to get to grips with and works across networked devices

Best bit of Microsoft software IMHO, genuinely useful ! Yoiu can probably get it to run automatically at startup or shutdown too, but I prefer having manual control

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
I remain in my abundant ignorance as ever, to be clueless regarding this.

As I have no use for a computer other than for fun times, and knowledge seeking should I really find out how to do this? :confused:

·
Registered
13,600 Posts
Considering I work in IT my home backup regime is crap, pretty much rely on maxtor software to backup to my external hard drive which is only used for backups of my desktop.

iDevices are backed up to the cloud.

Been thinking of getting a Qnap for centralised home storage and then backup to the cloud from there for years but never got around to it.
Mine at home is almost none existent :lol:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts