Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gtv 2.0 r reg, any ideas how much a garage will charge for new wish bones on my gtv? It pulls to right on acceleration, and generally feels like its wobbling all over the rd, I'm guessing it's wishbones etc.

Would a normal garage do it, or am I best going to a small independent Alfa?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Surely your local garage will do them for you as they are straight forward enough.
Check they are the bushes first by using a bar to see if there is any play in them before spending out.

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
If I recall correctly, a garage would charge about 3 hours labour but why not give it a go yourself? I did and wrote a thread about it (How to change a wishbone I think I called it).

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I was quoted £30 (just 1 side...) by an Alfa indie in Oxford but dunno if that was only if I bought the wishbone through him (£70)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Mines going in tomorrow. Been quoted one hour labour, £40 quid.
Im guessing that wasnt based on a GTV!....

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
I reckon it could be done in 2 hours with all the right equipment (hydraulic lift, air gun, enormous lever type thing etc.). Either way let us know if the garage stick to that price.

·
Registered
365 Posts
did it myself in 2 hours, both sides! easy job.

tip: although it sounds a pain...remove the shocks...makes the job SOOOOO much easier.

shock out, jack up high, wire the hub up, drop the wishbone out...reverse! :)

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
That is a good tip as regards removing the shock, three easy screws at top and then 2 possible pigs at the hub and the job is 10 times easier.

·
Registered
365 Posts
for the two lower bolts..soak them in a loosening agent for a couple of hours (after cleaning the corrosion off) then if you don't already have some...use a couple of breaker bars and impact sockets to get em loose.

if you don't have them...get your ass to halfords and buy a couple of 2ft pro breaker bars..about £20 each and worth every penny :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
seriously, i have changed loads of wishbones...the GTV is one of the easiest by far.

try changing them on a renault people carrier with the ARB mounted on the same bolts...a right B**tard of a job to get them back in!

if you have a v6...even easier as the drop links are attached to the shock (p2 and on) so 6 bolts to remove the shock, a few more to remove the brace and wishbone and out she slides.
I was surprised how easy it was once the shock was out.

heard loads of horror stories of 2x people spending 6-10 hours getting the bones out and new ones in because the shock is in the way..simple, whatever is in the way...remove it ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts