Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know I'm quite keen to get my hands dirty getting to know car mechanics.

I've never really had any real exspriance of working on cars. I'm always scared that I damage my 166.

So I was wondering if I could get my hands on a V6 with a snapped cambelt How much would it be for the belts, Values and all the other bits. So that I could rebuild it in my cupboard?

Just a thought

Cheers Stuart

·
Registered
13,163 Posts
A v6 is a proper man's motor, lad... My mechanic always quotes me £500 plus parts and labour.. :D

Even if you take a good engine and just dismantle it and put it back together again it'll touch you for £400:

Belt tensioner is circa £90
Water pump is about £70..
Head gaskets @ £80pr (if you can find them.. otherwise use gaskets from "old" GTV6 2.5)
Rocker gaskets @ £30 (genuine parts, moosh!)
Cambelt @ £30 (as above)
Plug gaskets @ £20
Oil @ £25 10W40
Filter @ £10
Plugs @ £25
various fasteners, O-rings and sundries @ £20

If you have any bent/worn valves, rings, pistons, journals, rods or bearings.. just "guestimate" them at £40 each..

If you want to strip down and rebuild an engine, I'd start with a Fiat Cinquecento (FIRE) engine basically (just 4 of everything and a lot easier to wrestle with).

Ralf S.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I admire your spirit of adventure. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know what you mean I could find any four pot engine. but the V6 is a machine that you have to appause to admire it.

It looks like the sort of project that would keep you busy for the first three weekend then I would find my self saying. "Gose that looks complacted" THen it would sit in the back of my mind for the next two years.

Still its a nice idea though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts