Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm in the process of getting quotes for bodywork on my sprint and have been blown away by some of the quotes. i have an 87 model from which i have removed the side mouldings and therefore need the holes covered. there are also a few patches that need some rust work, but it is straight and, as far as these cars go, pretty rust free.

one quote was , "it'll cost more than $10,000 but less than $20,000" which blew me away. for that money i could buy a better body, transplant the existing 16v engine and have it supercharged.

what's the most anyone here has or would spend on sorting the body of a sud or sprint?

·
Registered
175 Posts
i spent more than what anyone else was prepared to pay on the best body shell i could find,
had it freighted across a distance most people would call a country,
stripped it back to bare metal
and resprayed it colour change back to original red.:inlove:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Ten thousand bucks?
What country are you in?
I spent NZ$1800 on rust work on my 33, including reconstruction of the fiddly-shaped area above both rear lights from many little bits of metal!
The car was off the road for enough weeks that the battery went flat, and when we push-started it the exhaust smoked through every colour of the rainbow.
I've never owned a rusty car before and I can't say rust is my friend.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
What country's $, if you're talking US then they're talking out their ar*e.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I Think you are better off finding a good body to begin with (I know, easier said than done).
The mechanical bits are not as hard to find as a decent body. :(

I found my Giardinetta on a scrapyard, but it was not in bad shape, virtually no rust, no major dents, but with a blown engine.

This was in 2000/2001. I am still busy restoring :rolleyes: and throwing money at it, and the cost has now gone aver R 55 000 Rand.
Considering I only paid R750 for the body, I must be crazy ...... :wow:

But I love it ;) and will gladly spend more money on it. Next project is new wiring, new dashboard and new headlights..... got all the parts, now only need time to fit them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm in australia and yes, the $10,000 plus is ridiculous. the body is straight and only has a few patches of rust. the filling in of the holes where the moulding was is the big part, but having done a fair boit of panel beating before i know it's not that huge a job.

i'd love a giardinaetta but they were never brought into australia. apparetly there are a two or three that were brought in to display in dealerships but that's it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts