Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks. A hopefully simple one - how much oil do I need to buy for an oil change on a 159 2.4 Ti? I know what sort of oil I need but am getting conflicting information regarding how much. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I bought 7 litres for the last change but the garage that did it only used 5 plus 750ml of Slick50 to bring it back to full.

Guy

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Hello folks. A hopefully simple one - how much oil do I need to buy for an oil change on a 159 2.4 Ti? I know what sort of oil I need but am getting conflicting information regarding how much. Cheers.
What does it say in the back of your owners manual?

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
Put your reg in here it will tell you sump capacity. From memory I think its 5.5 litres. I would suggest filling the engine to halfway between minimum and maximum on the dipstick rather than brimming it. Check it regularly.

Castrol UK

·
Registered
316 Posts
How are you draining it?

Sump nut out will probably get more out than pumping through the dipstick tube. For a full drain you also need to drop the oil cooler hoses.

My sump nut is so totally :censored:'d that I have to use a pump via the oil cooler fitting on the sump. That has the benefit of also getting pretty much all the oil out of the cooler, but not as thorough as dropping all the hoses. I bought 7L but only used 6.

Before anyone asks, both the tube supplied with the pump and the narrower one I bought are too wide for the dipstick tube:furious:

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
How are you draining it?

Sump nut out will probably get more out than pumping through the dipstick tube. For a full drain you also need to drop the oil cooler hoses.

My sump nut is so totally :censored:'d that I have to use a pump via the oil cooler fitting on the sump. That has the benefit of also getting pretty much all the oil out of the cooler, but not as thorough as dropping all the hoses. I bought 7L but only used 6.

Before anyone asks, both the tube supplied with the pump and the narrower one I bought are too wide for the dipstick tube:furious:
If you go to an aquarium shop you will find the tube the goes down the dipstick, and it fits inside the pumps pipe.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Do you always use Slick 50?
Not every oil change but every car I've had I've put it in at the first oil/oil filter change. It goes back to the '80s and an advert I saw where they ran 3 cars round a circuit for 10 minutes or so to get them hot, brought them in, changed the oil on all three and put Slick 50 in one (Strada I think) sent them out for 30 minutes, brought them in, dropped the oil out of all and sent them out again. Strada kept going but the other two didn't last a lap!

I'm not saying it might allow you to run the engine dry mind but I do believe it does what it says on the tin and reduce friction/protect the motor. Each to their own but I'll carry on using in, I tend to drive my cars hard once warmed properly but have always looked after them beyond manufacturers service intervals and have never suffered an engine failure.

Best car I had was a 1996 (dealer launch) 145 Cloverleaf that I kept for 160k miles over 13 years, dealer serviced for the first 100k on schedule with additional oil/filters at 6k intermediate and after that indy serviced/DIY when it's value was nil. Two breakdowns in all that time, clutch slave cylinder at 96k and alarm/immobiliser one morning that 10 minutes off battery cured. Only battery change at 10 years, one exhaust, no clutches or shock absorbers ever. Loved that car.

Nicest car is the current 159. Never sell is the Stratos rep. Biggest regret is first Lancia Beta HPE...

Guy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts