Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading Darrens thread about his 98 V6 I started wondering about mine as I got it MOT'd last monthso I could sell it. I was told by a few on here I would get more if I scrapped it :eek: :cry:

Here's the details anyway,

156 2.5V6
98 S reg
85,000 miles
11 Months MOT
5 Months tax

Good Points,

Full service history up to 84,000k
cambelt, tensioners & gta water pump fitted at 72,000k
New radiator, Lambda and MAF fitted at 72,000k
New Khumo tyres all round at 72,000k
GTA before airbox intake
Autodelta after airbox intake
De-catted custom stainless exhaust system (35yr guarantee)
Engine and gearbox run sweet as a nut and sounds gorgeous
Grey Momo leather interior
All electrics work as they should
Standard Alfa head unit with Kenwood 6 disc in the boot

Bad points,

Scratches to passenger door (stepdaughters handlebars) :mad:
Light scratches to front of bonnet (drunks fighting on it last weekend) :mad: :mad:

Honest opinions please.

Cheers guys :thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Selling cars like this is more like a random number generator in the currently climate ... a dealer will give you £0 in trade in so that only really leaves private buyers ... and basically they can justify whatever they want to spend on a car ...

... I would say your best bet (if you don't HAVE to sell it) would be to hold onto it until we're out of this situation (i.e. when the conservatives get in and scrap the excessive road fund license and cut tax on fuel :thumbs:)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I want to do. At the moment I'm doing next to zero miles in it (250 a month maybe) so it's not costing alot to run. When I switch job locations I could be working anywhere (self employed joiner/kitchen fitter) Last site was in Sunderland and it crippled me. Need a van I guess and that's why my GF wants it sold :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Well the solutions is simple ... sell the girlfriends car and buy a van!!! Seriously though with the current climate you're going to loose loads selling your V6 ... it would almost be worth buying a van as well (you could probably pick up a 5yo one for next to nothing - Auto Trader UK - FORD TRANSIT Connect T200 1.8 TD SWB Van) ... alternatively you could even hire a van

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to get my tax return in quick I think. The tax man will owe me thousands this year!! last years tax refund went on getting the Alfa back on the road :lol: I refuse to lose too much cash, I spent a fortune on it and really dont want to see it go. I'll never get another one like her, first love and all that :cry:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
..., I spent a fortune on it and really dont want to see it go. I'll never get another one like her, first love and all that :cry:
Are you talking about your car or the GF :confused: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
price should be around 2200 but we know its not gonna happen so dont sell mate :)
:wow: It's not worth that even in a good market!!

If things were moving, £1500, now, IF you can find a buyer, £1K.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
I would not expect over £1200 for even a mint V6 of that age, the main concern on the oldest models is the floor and the inner wheel arch roting through, I've seen some right munters the last few weeks that have claimed to be A1 condition.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
My old alfa 156 v6 sold for 3200 last year to a police man.
and i was offered 2k a few times for my latest. and a few 1850's.
That was a year ago! maybe even longer! I know yours is in very good nick, and you have hard to find expensive alloys, but if you were offered that money, you should have snatched their hand off!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can talk from a buyers point of view.
I have bought a 156 1.8TS 105k miles 2000 W plate last month for £1200.
It was on a disabled tax disc and had to go pay tax in DVLA office.
I have spent £300 on a new timing belt.
And I say it was a steal.
Check ebay for similar cars, use advanced search and check complete listings, it will show you only past items and the price it went for. Hard to sell it for what is worth.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yep, I picked up a gleaming black 156 W reg 1.6TS Veloce with only 65k on the clock and lots of service history for only £900 last month, so anything around the £1600 mark you should take it IMHO. Good Luck with the sale, by the way try advertising it on Gumtree, it's free and when I advertised my old P reg Hyundai on there the phone didn't stop ringing - sold it within 24hrs for £250.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don't think you can compare a 1.6TS to a V6.....Sold my old V6 in July this year, a 2001 with 50K on it, got 3K for it (and I think the guy got a bargain !).
With your age and mileage I would say 2K would be realistic - why not put it up on Autotrader and see what happens ?
No your right you can't but for the opposite reasons you think. The TS are worth more than the V6's, because nobody wants big engines these days, particularly in family saloons / estates. Whilst the TS aren't world beating in terms of fuel economy, they are a lot more appealing to the kind of people looking at 156's (alfisti excluded), those looking for a cheap car.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'd say you'd be looking at around £1000-1400. I think people are avoiding V6's like the plague due to the economy.

·
Registered
996 Posts
That was a year ago! maybe even longer! I know yours is in very good nick, and you have hard to find expensive alloys, but if you were offered that money, you should have snatched their hand off!!
:) no way
i wont allow the Alfa prices to fall any further :D
there cheap because people are willing to sell them for that price...

·
Vendor
46,124 Posts
Don't forget though, its not just about an Alfa V6. If thats all someone wants, then sure, but its also about what people are willing to sell alternatives for. If you could get a Coupe 20VT for £500, and all 156 V6s were £2k no offers, most would not buy the V6.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
I admire your resolve (King Canute springs to mind) :lol:

What ever you plan to buy next will be cheaper as well though, don't forget that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi

From a buyers point of view, I have just bought a 98 (S) 2.5 V6 with 97k on the clock for £950.

IMHO I have got an absolute bargain and if someone offered me £1500 or even £2k for it now I think I would hold on to it. I think that the V6's are worth more to the owners than the monetary value that the market gives.

I wouldn't swap mine for the majority of cars out there now no matter how much the petrol prices go up.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts