Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cruising Autotrader looking for possible Ti replacements and getting bored with the repetition of models when I came across this Golf R

Genuine :wow: moment. £40k for a 3000 mile old second hand Golf with dubious build quality, squeaky wiper and suspension problems ( courtesy Golf Mk7 forum linked by someone recently). :tut:

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
Jesus wept. Forty thousand pounds for a second hand Golf. Worse than that, from every single angle I see something I don't like.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,186 Posts
I wont say anything, I'll get into trouble.:lol:

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't think VW would like to ensure there's a Golf R advertised in Autotrader for a high price to convince people they hold their value ?
The same dealer offers a few hundred of a new Golf , but the booted version http://www.southherefordgarages.co.uk/vw/new-vehicle-offers/special-offer-cars-jetta/
I don't really get that tbh. There'd gave to be an awful lot of them to work and there'd be no logic in offering a typical £500 off new Golfs of various standard specs on their website.

It reinforces something I noted when the GQV came out and many wept at a high £20's Alfa hatch pushing towards £30k if highly spec'd. A normal Mk6 Golf GTi with very few options soon ran to mid £30k's.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
If you want a cheap looking interior , try looking at what Maserati have given us in the new Ghibli. The Golf at 40k is a joke, for that money I'd buy a very nice 997 and be done with it.

·
Registered
708 Posts
That's totally obscene they are just playing on the fact it's a new model and some divvy will pay it just to say they've got one of the first "R" that one inparticular looks horrid!

R

·
0 Posts
That's totally obscene they are just playing on the fact it's a new model and some divvy will pay it just to say they've got one of the first "R" that one inparticular looks horrid!
A bit like the UK dealer knocking out a second hand 4C at almost £20k over list !

The Golf in question looks suspicously like a dealer reg demo car, probably been used by the dealer principal and is pretty heavily specced as a result.

I agree with Cue it's a price maintenance tactic, if it ends up getting sold for a penny over £35k I'd be surprised.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
A new one is GQV TCT money.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
You must have missed the one year old LHD Edition 1 A45 AMG going for £52k then! Only one in the UK, probably because noone else lacked the taste or intelligence to import one!

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
My neighbour has just bought a brand new speced up one. He also has a 911 cabrio in the garage which only sees the light of day about twice a year.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
I really think high spec new/nearly new cars are a little over priced.
I did see a VW Scirocco a few years back at Chumley PP for £32k. I had to double check.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
The Scirocco R is now £32k without options. £2k more than the 20bhp more powerful Golf R with 4wd (Scirocco is stil FWD). Bizarre.

R

·
0 Posts
My wife has a VW Golf 2.8 V6 four wheel drive Y reg four grand. Not quite the 3.2 but plenty fast for little money.

The golf 7 R is a mega boosted 2 litre

The 3.2 came as the R32 after the VR6 and hasn't been available in the mark 7.

VR6 2.8 though is a great car and well worth £4k and was something very special in its day.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
708 Posts
My colleague has a friend who works at a VW agent, he lent them a new Golf R while their GTi was in, the price was 42k with options! :vomit:

·
Registered
36,114 Posts
My colleague has a friend who works at a VW agent, he lent them a new Golf R while their GTi was in, the price was 42k with options! :vomit:
That's what a halo model is for ! It's aspirational and almost unattainable . It's also in need of pre-registering and advertising whilst it get used as a loaner.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
When and who decided to start referring to flagship models as "halo" ?

:confused:

Some marketing 'droid no doubt. :rolleyes: :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts