Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I emptied the fridge, cupboards and every other space, of food that we are not going to eat. Quite shocking when I looked at how much there was. ......
Briefly..
Half pack of sausage rolls,
three quarters of a pork pie,
two packs of dips half used,
pack of coleslaw,
two packs of spicy Pringles,
a lettuce (untouched),
Unopened Warburtons loaf,
Some hard boiled eggs,
Turkey carcass (it still weighed 3lbs).
Pack of sausage meat (hiding under the lettuce!)

I'm sure that's not all we wasted over the week. The problem is I can't see what we should not have bought for the Christmas holiday so I guess we'll be doing it all again next year:rolleyes:

M

·
0 Posts
It's crazy how we 'over buy' at Christmas. I was a little more conservative this year...just buying for one and the odd friend passing through, but I still spent more than I expected to.

However, all bar a couple of mince pies, everything has been consumed. I intend to have my last two mince pies with the remaining clotted cream very shortly:thumbs:

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Nowt yet, throwing food out drives me nuts, so I Hoover it up before it goes off :D

Put more weight on this year than I ever have :eek:

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
I don't tend to throw much away except double cream (always do this need to stop buying so much of it). I like mainly cold food even in Winter, so do buy a lot of salads and have trown out the odd thing there.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
You really don't want to see :eek:

Got on the scales and they said 'one at a time please' :lol:

B

·
0 Posts
Not too bad - had to ditch a pack of smoked salmon (not good), the birds got some left over pud and the dog eats most of the suspect left overs, although he got half a can of baked beans yesterday and the subsequent gas was horrific!! :vomit:

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
havnt chucked anything out as i didnt go mad this year....
1. cos i cant eat it as my stomach is still not recovered from op in august, hence am still losing weight which is fab
2. skint as currently between jobs so didnt have much dosh to spend

just goes to show that we dont need all the stuff i normally buy, its only me and my son and other half when he comes over so dont need loads of stuff...but need to stop nomming the chocs i had as pressies as i dont want to put any weight back on:)

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
We might have to throw away the remaining yoghourt from a pack I bought a while ago....'cos it's "Use by" date is 12 December.....but apart from that, the only things I've thrown away are egg-shells......

Only the two of us, so we don't over-buy, and have very little waste....

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
We haven't thrown anything away...
and some of the Christmas Soup is going into the freezer.

The odd scrap has been fed to the chickens.. one of whom is still supplying
a daily egg :eek:

I'm off to dig up a couple of leeks for this evening's meal...

Leeks wrapped in ham.... smothered in cheese sauce :cool:

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
Today I emptied the fridge, cupboards and every other space, of food that we are not going to eat. Quite shocking when I looked at how much there was. ......
Briefly..
Half pack of sausage rolls,
three quarters of a pork pie,
two packs of dips half used,
pack of coleslaw,
two packs of spicy Pringles,
a lettuce (untouched),
Unopened Warburtons loaf,
Some hard boiled eggs,
Turkey carcass (it still weighed 3lbs).
Pack of sausage meat (hiding under the lettuce!)

I'm sure that's not all we wasted over the week. The problem is I can't see what we should not have bought for the Christmas holiday so I guess we'll be doing it all again next year:rolleyes:
We chucked Nowt!

we bought very little pre-made, so made stuff ourselves (or didn't)....
we used the freezer
we used EVERYTHING on the turkey:
- curry
- po'boys in tacos with spicy salad and chilli mayo
- another curry
we also had a large belly pork joint which (along with the turkey) was used in sarnies during the course of the week
stock was made from the bird (replacing the frozen home-made stock we used to make paella one night).
We had brekka for 2 days with the main part being bubble n squeak with the mash, swede and sprouts from xmas day - terrific.

I'm a smug get it seems, but I'll be beggared if I will pay out my hard earned for scran and then see if go to the dog

I am also a fat get

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
As sif..I bought hardly anything pre made (except a few delicious desserts which would never get wasted :lol:). I used the turkey/stuffing with salad/in buns and made a wonderful Italian broth on boxing day :)

Today I'm making a lamb roast dinner and will eat the leftovers cold later/tomorrow with salad and mint sauce :)

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
We hardly chucked anything away except the Christmas cake. I knew it was overcooked when I took it out of the oven, but I iced it and decorated it anyway. On the leftover front, we ate most of it. The only pre-cooked stuff we bought were party food items and most of them are in the freezer anyway.

J

·
0 Posts
I always spend a fortune Christmas and New Year weeks ... however never waste a thing ... Even tho I spend a lot I only buy what I know will get eaten ... :)

I have friends who originally came from less wealthier countries than ours and they have seen great poverty .. so I always think of them and try to never waste a thing ... :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts