Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a big fan of the Giulietta ever since it was released. Coming from a fiat Bravo, I assume you all agree the Giulietta is the next step up, and I've been waiting for it to be released in my country so I could finally get my hands on one. Well the G was only very recently been introduced here in Egypt and I went to see it in the showroom and everything was great until I found about the price.

I've checked pretty much every review there is out there on the Giulietta and one thing that is always mentioned is that it is better value for money than its german rivals. Apparently the dealer here thought it was the 3 series and the C-class that they should be undercutting because you can get a used one for the price of a new G. To talk numbers, the golf, focus, and astra retail for the equivalent of £18-24 k here, while the Giulietta starts at around £27.5k while the QV-line (not the QV) sits at £32.5. Thats as much as highline A3 or even the bmw x1.

Rant over, do you think this price is reasonable in anyway? Where does the Giulietta fit in terms of price range in your country? (Note: only the 1.4 MA is offered)

·
Registered
767 Posts
I think you're being roped off over there! Here, the RRP for a QV (1750 tbi) launch edition is £30k and the standard QV is around the £28k region. And that's without deposit contributions and haggling!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Here in Ireland, the range goes between these two

1.4 120 TB Progression - €22,500
2.0 175 JTDm2 TCT Exclusive - €32,650

(There's no QV in Ireland except by special order: its annual road tax bill is prohibitive to most buyers)

Generally, the pricing roughly tracks the VW Golf. The Alfa is usually a little more expensive, but then if you try to spec up that Golf to the same level of standard kit as you get in the Alfa, the VW comes out more expensive. (Volkswagen Ireland appears to slice the base price but load the options prices).

·
Registered
435 Posts
In Portugal the range is:

1.4 TB 120cv - 18.115£
QV 1750 TBi 240cv - 31.072£

There is a special Giulietta Trofeo Edition (diesel) for 17.249£

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Judging by your answers I guess I'm not wrong in thinking they got it terribly wrong. I always thought the Fiat/Alfa brand is always about giving more for less, and not the other way round.

I think you're being roped off over there! Here, the RRP for a QV (1750 tbi) launch edition is £30k and the standard QV is around the £28k region. And that's without deposit contributions and haggling!

Here in Ireland, the range goes between these two

1.4 120 TB Progression - €22,500
2.0 175 JTDm2 TCT Exclusive - €32,650

(There's no QV in Ireland except by special order: its annual road tax bill is prohibitive to most buyers)

Generally, the pricing roughly tracks the VW Golf. The Alfa is usually a little more expensive, but then if you try to spec up that Golf to the same level of standard kit as you get in the Alfa, the VW comes out more expensive. (Volkswagen Ireland appears to slice the base price but load the options prices).

I know the QV-line is just a replacement of the Sportiva Nav, but here it doesn't even come with the SatNav or the sports suspension. The QV itself is never going to be offered because of the insane customs on engines of more than 1.6L displacement

The golf is only available here in one category which is almost fully loaded at the equivalent of 22k £, and it comes with the 1.4 TSI 140 engine. I dislike the golf and think its overrated, but having to pay a full 10k £ difference to get what is ultimately an Exclusive G with some aesthetic additions is just insane. The A3 sedan, which is probably the epitome of overpriced crap, tops off at the equivalent of 31k £ (still cheaper than the QV line), the highest specced focus is 24k £, the Astra 22k £, and you could get a low mileage used 320i at around 30£. It just doesn't make any sense.

Another thing that is driving me insane is that the Alfa is offered starting at almost DOUBLE the price I payed for a high specced Bravo a few years ago. I only hope that there won't be many fools who buy the car at these prices, as its the only thing that'll force them into lowering the price

·
Registered
205 Posts
Here in Sweden, the cheapest 1.4 Turbo Distinctive costs just below €22 000
1.4 MA Exclusive with TCT sets you back €28 000
The QV will cost you €30 000.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I always thought the Fiat/Alfa brand is always about giving more for less, and not the other way round.
Alfa is NOT Fiat, the same way Maserati is not Fiat or Audi is not Skoda... That's the first thing. Secondly, Giulietta is a better car than A3 and Alfa is a better brand than Audi - so why should it cost less?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Alfa is NOT Fiat, the same way Maserati is not Fiat or Audi is not Skoda... That's the first thing. Secondly, Giulietta is a better car than A3 and Alfa is a better brand than Audi - so why should it cost less?
But Alfa is owned by Fiat, uses most of their engines, shares some of the internal fittings. The Mito is also built on the same platform as the Fiat Punto.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Vw audi skoda seat all shares parts as well.. nissan and renault as well..

Look at audi range. All cars are A3 with or without boot.. some as suv just a bit bigger.. same with vw.. same with porsche... alfas look different to each other.. and shares parts with fiat yes.. but mito inside looks different to giulietta and vw and audis look the same inside no matter is it a1 or a5 or a8.. mostly the same..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its not a bad thing or anything but everyone knows that Alfa IS Fiat. Its normal that many subsidiaries of a certain brand share many parts. The engine and gearbox are both shared with fiat, jeep, dodge, you name it. The chassis is a much improved version of the bravo's, and the CUSW platform used in the Cherokee and dart are based on it. The Uconnect system is also used on ALL fiat subsidiaries, etc....

Audi's reputation might be undeserved but you're not seriously saying it has a weaker brand reputation than Alfa Romeo are you? Actually I wasn't debating whether the giuliettta is a good car because it is. But just because it is doesn't mean that they can slap any price on it. Additionally, what I am interested in is where it fits in terms of price range compared to its rivals in other countries.

Here in Sweden, the cheapest 1.4 Turbo Distinctive costs just below €22 000
1.4 MA Exclusive with TCT sets you back €28 000
The QV will cost you €30 000.
These prices translate into much lower values than how much it costs here unfortunately. I'm really disappointed as I was really about to pull the trigger on an exclusive giulietta with TCT. Problem is, with these prices, even the generally poor residuals of Alfa will still mean that a used G will cost more than a brand new fully loaded (Insert: german hatch)

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Problem is, with these prices, even the generally poor residuals of Alfa will still mean that a used G will cost more than a brand new fully loaded (Insert: german hatch)
I don't understand this. You say that Alfa has poor residual values in your country, but at the same time a second-hand Giulietta costs more than the equivalent German hatchback?

·
Registered
34,405 Posts
If the car is new to a market it will not be a bargain . My Giulietta would probably be the same if not cheaper, new . That's three years later. UK prices are also distorted by the need to create good residuals based on a high enough list price on cars which are then leased.

·
Registered
7 Posts
İn Turkey , the cost is between 31k to 40 k € for multiair tct . The facelift gqv is almost 60k € :cry: my lovely country's taxes :rant:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I don't understand this. You say that Alfa has poor residual values in your country, but at the same time a second-hand Giulietta costs more than the equivalent German hatchback?
What I meant is that, however poor the resiuduals, if the QV line costs the equivalent of 32k, then no way will a used one drop to the equivalent price of a new golf/astra/focus (highline), which is around 22k, unless it has a really high mileage. And since the giulietta has been available for less than 2 weeks here, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

If the car is new to a market it will not be a bargain .
I respectfully disagree. The Alfa brand has just been reintroduced after a 10 year absence. The cars that were available back then were much less reliable than the current ones, so its only normal that it needs time to regain its reputation as a solid car. Until then, they need to encourage potential customers to put their faith in the Giuliettta in particular, since the mito doesn't have much demand here and the 4c is, well, insanely expensive. Putting in the same price range as the 1 series and A class is definitely not the way to do it IMO. Neutral buyers will instantly dismiss it due to the above reasons.

İn Turkey , the cost is between 31k to 40 k € for multiair tct . The facelift gqv is almost 60k € :cry: my lovely country's taxes :rant:
Tell me about it. The reason I have to say "the equivalent of x £" is that I multiply that number by 10 :D

·
Registered
34,405 Posts
Giving cars away does not show much self respect !
The Giulietta has some relatively expensive content such as light alloy suspension and body parts plus Led lights. The steering is more sophisticated than that of a Fiat . If it's not priced accordingly it will not be perceived as anything but a mundane car that needs to sell on price.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Giving cars away does not show much self respect !
The Giulietta has some relatively expensive content such as light alloy suspension and body parts plus Led lights. The steering is more sophisticated than that of a Fiat . If it's not priced accordingly it will not be perceived as anything but a mundane car that needs to sell on price.

Like I said, I meant giving incentives for potential buyers to give it a shot. There's nothing wrong with that IMO, and its been done before. Also, I never implied it was bad car as it definitely isn't. The fiat bravo for example had a reputation for being a very solid car here even though it was much less expensive than all its german rivals, so being competitively price is not something that undermines a car.

·
Registered
34,405 Posts
Discounts such as Samples and vouchers etc are common for introducing repeat-purchase products like biscuits or antiperspirant , but cars hardly fit into that category. The discounts are generally avoided for as long as possible . Maintaining the price is equivalent to a discount !

1 - 20 of 37 Posts