Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
45,020 Posts
Two people will be able to carry a 2.0 TS engine a short distance, 10 or 15 metres maybe. Thats the block, head, rocker cover, sump, but no ancillaries etc.

With a crane, you should have no bother.

M

·
0 Posts
Whole engine with no ancillaries is listed at 130kg in ePER. Deduct head at 23kg, add flywheel at 8kg.

Two persons can shift this pretty much as Pud say and after all, he's probably done it a good number of times. As he also says, a crane will be no problem. This is dead easy for even the smallest engine crane.

·
Premium Member
45,020 Posts
It is not easy to do it with two people, but possible, if you are reasonably strong and can get a good grip and a clear route. Its not much easier to do with 3 people as it is harder for you all to get a good grip and still maneouver.

I'm suprised the engine is as heavy as 130kgs with the head on, I would have said 100kgs maybe, judging by how heavy it felt.

Also, the heads feel much heavier than 23kg, when you are carrying them around one by one. How strange :lol:

·
Premium Member
45,020 Posts
Used to bench 110kg for 4 reps at my peak, and could do 9 reps of 100kg. I weighed 105kgs then at 5ft 11, with a 33" waist. Also did incline bench press using 2 x 44kg dumbells. I'm 95kgs now with 35" waist, but can still bench 80kgs for 5 or 6 reps on the odd occaison I make it to the gym :rolleyes: :lol:

Need to get back into it, although benching is much easier than picking something up off the floor or off a workbench. Its a bit of a struggle to carry a gearbox & bellhousing around on my own, and they are only approx 40kgs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys, I'll be back on soon.... Have just picked up a 02 plate 147 with a knocking bottom end, and I mean it sounds like a bag of nuts and bolts at tickover so I'm pretty sure the crank will be wrecked. I find out wednesday when I get the sump off. Im going to try and do pics as I go and do a how-to guide after, all being well.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I can pick up and move a V6 short block, but I wouldn't want to carry it too far. With 2 people, it's OK. The missus & I put one in the boot of the car just this week. Should point out she's a tiny wee thing, not a Russian weightlifter ;)

Main problem with these things is they tend to be awkward, and often have studs sticking out that catch you in the most uncomfortable places.....

D

·
0 Posts
What Chris said there not exactly heavy more awkward to lift and get a good grip on.

·
Premium Member
45,020 Posts
I'd be tempted to say a bare TS engine block with no head probably weighs a similar amount to the V6 one.

M

·
0 Posts
Well there's a thing: full GTA engine, no ancillaries, intake stuff or flywheel is 133kg according to ePER.

For kit car building reasons, I wonder how this compares with the 70's FIAT/Lancia twin cam engine I currently use?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Lmao, gway you Alfa red, I'll bench you the next time I see ya:p
i dont any more after getting arthritis, probably caused by benching too much, i damaged my elbow too, stretched all the tendons, which then went back alot shorter, so i have one arm the wont go straight now:rant::mad: my own stupid fault which is even worse, because i cant blame anyone else.:rant::mad:

i could do alot more than 120kg though;)

D

·
0 Posts
Lol, I started 2 years ago at 30kg on a bench so I'm happy out going to 130kg's in such short time.

And hopefully won't injury myself yet lol. Done in my back a few times all right.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Lol, I started 2 years ago at 30kg on a bench so I'm happy out going to 130kg's in such short time.

And hopefully won't injury myself yet lol. Done in my back a few times all right.
yep its not fun, and i was stupid, showing off, and now im paying the price, i have arthritis in nearly every joint and swelling on the spine, that spondolytis thingy:confused:

still got a big chest though:D

oh higher than 130kg's, keep going;):lol:

D

·
0 Posts
Lol, good man on going higher than that. I will go higher with time just not yet.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
i'm about 22 stone and just over 6ft 6 and can easyly throw a Selespeed gearbox a good distance :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts