Alfa Romeo Forum banner

How high do fuel prices have to go before you change your transport means...

• £1.50 a litre

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • £2 a litre

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • £3 a litre

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • £4 a litre

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • £5 a litre or more

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I already car pool or take public transport to work

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fuel prices back above £1 a litre for unleaded. Diesel 7/8p+ higher...

Well, how high do fuel prices have to go before you ditch the car and take public transport or car share?

H

·
0 Posts
Last year I sold one of our cars and got my little bike. Petrol was around £1.05 then, and it's probably one of the best things I did.

I use public transport for work when I can (which I did anyways), and use my bike for the other times. Now I get to work quicker, and cheaper.

N

·
0 Posts
As half my fuel is expensed, it would have to double before I took note.

So from £1.19->£2.38 ish.

·
Registered
37,353 Posts
I think Petrol would have to be very expensive for me to ditch the car and get the bus.

Me and the Missus work quite close to each other, so we car share.

The trip takes 35mins either way in the car, 1.5 hours either way on two seperate buses.

Car costs around £5 a day between us, and a bus costs £6 each return.

If fuel prices rose really high I would be more likely to ditch the job than the car, and get one closer to home.

S

·
0 Posts
I live close to the start of a motorway, and my work is at the other end of said motorway. 7 miles, usually averages 10 minutes +/- 3 mins depending on traffic.

7 miles there, 7 miles back, 14 miles, probs costs £3 in fuel.

The alternative is the bus. Wait on bus which from previous experience can be at a stop +/- 5 minutes of the advertised time, so say waiting 10 minutes to make sure, takes 30 minutes to get to centre of city via the non-motorway arterial route (stopping at most bus stops), then there is a 20 minute wait for the next bus to get out to my work, which takes another 20 minutes. So that's an hour and 10 mins plus the initial 10 minute wait.

£1.90 to centre, £1.50 to work, £3.40 x2 for return = £6.80

I think they have a metrocard which is a weeks worth of buses for £15. This would at least match the cost of fuel in the car, which still takes an hour less each way. 2 hours of a day wasted.

In my car I don't have
- Teenagers on the top deck shouting and cursing and throwing plastic bottles
- People with annoying loud "dist dist dist" trance ringtones
- I don't have to stand in the Alfa
- Even if there are seats, I don't have to squeeze my 6 foot 2 stocky frame into the tiny bus seats
- Bus driver's choice aircon, I can have the air conditioning the way I want - hot or cold, not greenhouse in summer and arctic blasting in the winter
- I don't have to worry about sitting on some chewing gum or spilt Lucozade in my Alfa

·
Banned
467 Posts
Fuel prices back above £1 a litre for unleaded. Diesel 7/8p+ higher...

Well, how high do fuel prices have to go before you ditch the car and take public transport or car share?

They're already over a £1/litre

I saw one garage today on the A27/Pevensey turnoff where dieseasal and petrol were BOTH 101.9

Around here' that's cheap for both now too.

Garage in heathfield is flogging the devils p*ss for £1.29/litre:eek:

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
I don't use my car for commuting so it would have to be very expensive for me to really take much notice.

M

·
0 Posts
If fuel prices rose really high I would be more likely to ditch the job than the car, and get one closer to home.

Same here. I was debating on whether to go for 6 months road tax or a year on the 147 this time as I have thought about selling it and buying a Grande Punto due to the fuel bills but I refuse to let this government dictate to me what type of car I should have.

V

·
0 Posts
i would still drive my car everywhere if it was £10.00 a litre although i would consider changing to something more economical like an f430 :lol:

seriously i would drive wherever i needed to as i cant stand public transport and love my car, it would cripple my wallet but hey if fuel was £10 a litre it would probably cost a darwin to go on the bus anyway

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Public transport is not a good option for me as I have to travel a lot for work so it would have to get a bit worse although I might consider a more economic car if things get much worse

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
My GTV is in the garage, awaiting the funds to totally restore it, and I am quite pleased, because I couldn't afford to run it at the moment anyway. We only have the one car on the road (The Mondeo), and the missus uses that for work everyday. I use "Shanks' pony" everywhere, don't even use buses or trains.

K

·
0 Posts
For me public transport is a non-starter at present as my domestic commitments would mean that I could only squeeze in about 30 hours work instead of 40. If the trains were more frequent, I'd use them every day. With an annual season ticket it would cost about £3 a day to get to work. When my son starts high school in 3 years, I shall commute by rail every day and buy a Jag.

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
Fuel would have to treble for me to stop using the car for work.
I do ~27-30k annum and nearly every trip is over 30miles, normally nationally, so pubic transport is a no for me. :tut:

·
0 Posts
I don't cover very many miles & my destinations are always varied (different sites) , so unless the prices got to 'stoopid' levels I cannot see me opting for public transport - even then I the current infrastructure could not serve my needs

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Public transport is not an option. The GTA would have to be binned at £3 though. Just wouldn't get the miles out of it. The 106 would have to get through another MOT:D

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
The car isn't the problem, transport/diesel costs are as my transport costs are rising all the time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts