Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to fully bleed the system shortly and replace with new fluid. Any ideas on how much I need? Does not specify in the manual.

Any recommendations for fluid or will I just stick to DOT4?

Also, excuse my ignorance, but is the brake fluid the same fluid for clutch fluid? Do I need to do anything extra when bleeding all 4 corners to incorporate the clutch?

W

·
0 Posts
DOT5.1 is supposed to be better than DOT4....well it's twice the price in Halfords anyway!

I've no idea how much is in but it took me about one litre to bleed until the clear fluid appeared last time.

The clutch and brake fluid share the same system and it can be bled....never done it myself so can't help further sorry.

wrinx

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
The exact same post I was planning Tee-O!

So armed with 1 litre of dot 5.1, I know that its good practice to start with the wheel furthest from the resevoir and then move closer, so any guesses on which rear to go for first. I assume the o/s rear (drivers-side rear on a RHD car) but just checking before I start...

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chris said:
The exact same post I was planning Tee-O!

So armed with 1 litre of dot 5.1, I know that its good practice to start with the wheel furthest from the resevoir and then move closer, so any guesses on which rear to go for first. I assume the o/s rear (drivers-side rear on a RHD car) but just checking before I start...
I'd say so Chris...the reservoir on a RHD car is, I think in front of the passenger side, so in the order of rear right, rear left, front right & front left.

I plan to have a helper to pump the pedal for me, so I'm gonna do it like this...

Press pedal a few times before starting. Open reservoir and put in new fluid. Then with the pedal pressed, open the rear right bleed nipple and get assistant to press pedal to floor and hold there. Close bleed nipple and top up reservoir and get pedal raised and push again and open bleed nipple. With pedal on floor again, close nipple and repeat until new fluid comes through...I'm guessing about 3-4 pedal presses. I think timing is critical so as not to have bleed nipple open when the pedal is being lifted.
Repeat for other 3 corners.

If anybody has a better method, scrawl it down for me.

Also replacing rear pads...heard somewhere when pushing in the rear pistons to fit new pads, the pistons need to be rotated and pushed at same time....Is this true? And which way to rotate? (CW or Anti?)

W

·
0 Posts
Tee-o, your method is ok....use the search function for instructions for the rears, it's been discussed many times ;)

wrinx

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Tee-O said:
Press pedal a few times before starting. Open reservoir and put in new fluid. Then with the pedal pressed, open the rear right bleed nipple and get assistant to press pedal to floor and hold there. Close bleed nipple and top up reservoir and get pedal raised and push again and open bleed nipple. With pedal on floor again, close nipple and repeat until new fluid comes through...I'm guessing about 3-4 pedal presses. I think timing is critical so as not to have bleed nipple open when the pedal is being lifted.
Repeat for other 3 corners.
That seems very complicated? Why not get a cheap non-return bleed kit that stops the expelled fluid from getting sucked back. That way you don`t have to keep tightening and loosening the nipple.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chris said:
That seems very complicated? Why not get a cheap non-return bleed kit that stops the expelled fluid from getting sucked back. That way you don`t have to keep tightening and loosening the nipple.
I'll look into it this week in the local auto factors when I'm picking up the brake fluid

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts