Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 159 1.9 JTDm 16V with swaped F40 gearbox. It uses driveshafts, gearbox and engine mounts from 2.0 JTDm. Currently building GTB2060 hybrid and planning to reach 300HP/600NM (currently 260HP/505NM with GT1756). Will driveshafts handle that much of torque? Is there any uprated driveshafts?
And how about engine mounts? Should I worry about them?

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have 159 1.9 JTDm 16V with swaped F40 gearbox. It uses driveshafts, gearbox and engine mounts from 2.0 JTDm. Currently building GTB2060 hybrid and planning to reach 300HP/600NM (currently 260HP/505NM with GT1756). Will driveshafts handle that much of torque? Is there any uprated driveshafts?
And how about engine mounts? Should I worry about them?

Can you give me some information about it. Did you use M32 Clutch FlyWheel and other stuff. Does Gearbox Mounts from 2.0JTDM is bolt on? I have to make to run too. Please share some information. I'm using M32 1.9 JTDM 282HP/528Nm

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The F40 is in the 2.4 210 as well so I wouldn’t worry about it. I’ve seen a Brera 2.4 at 300hp.
Gearbox willl be fine.

Can you give me some information about it. Did you use M32 Clutch FlyWheel and other stuff. Does Gearbox Mounts from 2.0JTDM is bolt on? I have to make to run too. Please share some information. I'm using M32 1.9 JTDM 282HP/528Nm
Well, it's not completly bolt-on swap.

You will need to have:
1. F40 gearbox (mine from Vauxhall Signum 1.9 110kw, but you can use gearbox from Alfa)
2. Flywheel from Signum 1.9 110kw, clutch custom made, based on 2.4 JTDm disc and pressure plate. You can use Sachs performance kit from Vauxhall. Good for up to 600NM.
3. 2.0 or 2.4 gearbox cables
4. 2.0 gearbox mount brackets (lower one needs a little bit modifying)
5. 2.0 gearbox side upper mount
6. 2.0 driveshafts, right one has to be shortened about 1-2 cm (if your car slammed, then more).

And that's it.

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
9,903 Posts
The horsepower has nothing to do with it.....torque is what kills gearboxes that why they are named as they are. The M32 has a max torque handling of 320Nm the C635 can take 350NM and the F40 has a max rating of 400NM. So with a planned 600Nm of torque you are 50% over the designed max limit of the box. Im not saying it will breal....but I wouldnt do it myself. The driveshafts however will be fine.

·
Registered
684 Posts
The horsepower has nothing to do with it.....torque is what kills gearboxes that why they are named as they are. The M32 has a max torque handling of 320Nm the C635 can take 350NM and the F40 has a max rating of 400NM. So with a planned 600Nm of torque you are 50% over the designed max limit of the box. Im not saying it will breal....but I wouldnt do it myself. The driveshafts however will be fine.
You are right about it. But especially with C365 in 147. They torture it. with near 600Nm. And lots of low RPM torque. I did not see anybody brake the box. But for the M32 I saw and hear. For F40 I saw somebody used near 700Nm torque. M32 has a new endcase and bearings may help for the health or th box. But for torque capacity F40 is the best solution. And M32 + F40 uses hydraulic piston. C365 I think is with cord type arm.

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
9,903 Posts
The C635 has had rather more issues that the pretty bullet proof F40 (as well as handling 50nm less)...However the F40 is a little more notchy.

·
Registered
Fiat JTD 8v
834 Posts
I would stay calm about engine mounts or driveshafts, I would stay more worried about DMF/clutch. Probably F40 supports 600 Nm without abuse, there are running with 500. It's like C530/C630 with 400-500 and even 600 without issues for tens of thousands kms. Even my small C510 is running +60% torque with regular WOTs for hundreds of thousands kms before OEM DMF exploding and braking everything around 1 km.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
High torque is not a problem as long as you don't abuse it in low gears...
Biggest problem is high output torque on the final drive in 1st and 2nd gear, due to torque "amplification" of the gear ratios.
Any gearbox failures that I have seen were only on the final drive, and in most cases because of the abuse, and tire slipping in low gears...

In high gears there will be no problems, as long as you keep your DMF/clutch happy :)

·
Registered
Fiat JTD 8v
834 Posts
Omg! Well, see it from pov "not fun without hazards".

DMF play depends of manufacturer. Typically 2mm up-down play and 3-4 tooth play is acceptable. For me that play is unacceptable because remap will detroy all. I saw similar play in Luk flywheels (same design) under 2k miles, yeah 2k lol with not perceptible vibrations but bad sounds.

Problem there is perfect balance between masses, vibrations, friction etc. If anything is incorrect DMF/cluth will explode, as I said any post before.

If balance is ok then DMF quality or reinforced cluth is the problem (for me clutch and balance more than DMF).

Put one eye in remap, 500 Nm well done is not problem, 500 Nm bad done will brake everything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.