Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always has been a dream of mine to have some Carbon Ceramic Brakes how ever anyone has any information on the maintenance involved? How long they last, etc?

Thanks!

·
AO Detailing Car Of The Year Winner 2015
350 Posts
I won't be! But I won't be taking the car round a track!

They are likely to cost around £6k, although you should get the best part of 100,000 miles out of them and they wear pads slower. They also do cake your wheels in break dust. I'm not talking from experience but people complain that they lack feel at normal driving speeds.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
according to the Dutch pricelist, they are only available as an option on the Quadrifoglio, for a price of Euro 7.500,- .......

·
Registered
30,397 Posts
according to the Dutch pricelist, they are only available as an option on the Quadrifoglio, for a price of Euro 7.500,- .......
and replacement costs won't be much less!

When they were first fitted as std to Porsche GT2, the trend was to remove them and fit normal brakes, keeping the PCCB set to refit when the car was sold, the next owner would then do the same!
Replacement discs were about £10,000, they didn't last forever and there were disc failures.
Life of a set of PCCB discs on track was about twice that of std, so costs considerably higher.

In normal road use wear was extremely low.
So great for road, but very high replacement costs if you track the car.

Reactions: sotbak

·
Registered
129 Posts
No one of us needs them if ...if ...we buy a QV. There in no point in adding that amount on the price list of the car. I still remember the excellent brakes of the 75 range...and they were not PCCB!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
and replacement costs won't be much less!

When they were first fitted as std to Porsche GT2, the trend was to remove them and fit normal brakes, keeping the PCCB set to refit when the car was sold, the next owner would then do the same!
Replacement discs were about £10,000, they didn't last forever and there were disc failures.
Life of a set of PCCB discs on track was about twice that of std, so costs considerably higher.

In normal road use wear was extremely low.
So great for road, but very high replacement costs if you track the car.
100% this. I had them on a GT3 and I found that track use killed the disk. The expansion\contraction quickly cracked the discs and I got through about the same number of PCCB's over a given set of track days as I would standard discs and pads. I only used to run the pads to about halfway as otherwise you can generate more heat on track and exacerbate this disk problem, so the whole thing was a fairly expensive endeavour as I was doing about a track day a month at the time.

Now, Alfa may do a better job of this as time has moved on, and for road use I think carbon is a no-brainer, but I feel we're hardly likely to buy a QV and NOT take it on track a few times a year, so it's well worth researching.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts