Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm doing some improvements on my 164 Super, and it will reach 300 to 330 HP, I will be changing pistons and a lot of things, however I don't know if the standard Piston Rods will resit, Do you have any experience ? or have heard anything ?
Improvements are a new engine management (megasquirt) and a Turbocompressor, new pistons (slower 9:1) and other modifications.

Thanks a lot in advance

Pablo

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Shouldn't have any trouble at those figures, although it's revs & torque that break them, rather than bhp (IYSWIM). I know a 12V motor which is internally stock other than LC pistons and a couple of turbos that's making 350bhp/350ftlb. This gets used to it's full on a regular basis on circuit.

A mate had a twin-turbo 12V making in excess of 400bhp/400ftlb, again stock rods (IIRC) & stock crank.

Rods & crank are the same on the 24V AFAIK

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a LOT Chis, this is the kind of help that I was looking !
About project I m starting, so I m taking a pictures of all then I will be building a post.
Thanks again !

(Totally agree about Torque vs HP)

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Most welcome Pablo. If I'm honest with myself, I was hoping for somewhere close to 300bhp out of my 12V supercharged motor...but so far it's not looking good. I've found some problems (a cam timing error on one bank and a worn out supercharger) and as soon as I can get a few minutes to fit a new blower belt, I'll see if spinning it faster has recovered the 'missing' boost. If it has, I'll get it mapped again and fingers crossed for a decent result. I'm using stock crank and rods, S pistons (wanted stock but was given S ones) and a pair of C&B 'mild' cams. Again, stock ones might have been better, but they are a lot more expensive to buy than the C&B, and I was always hedging my bets with this engine - start with a decent aspirated 'base' then try a bit of gentle boost, maybe 7 or 8psi.

I don't want to hijack this too much, so I'll stop here, but feel free to PM me if you think I might be able to add anything or answer any questions. I'm no kind of expert, but I have been lucky enough to be involved with a couple of interesting projects.

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Megasquirt with stock C.O.P. and stock 62-2 trigger wheels?

Megasquirt running the Coil On Plug (COP) with 62 minus 2 teeth crank trigger wheel ! That is quite rare for an Alfa V6 none for a V624v as far as my search goes to date anyway.

There are many Alfa V6 12V running the Megasquirt but none that I am aware of uses the standard Alfa 62-2 crank trigger wheels and the standard C.O.P, most are on distributors and Ford EDIS 36-1 crank trigger. How about your set up?

Are you going to use the factory knock sensors or disable it?

At low boost (7 -9 psi max should be enough for the 300 -330 bhp)the standard crank and rods should not have any issues.

The issue is whether your piston is going to be safe from the dreaded "death rattle"(detonation). It all lies in your Engine Management data. I have seen piston ring "lands" (the portion above the piston rings) crumble like an apple crumble due to poor fueling and over advanced timing.

Keep us posted with lots of pics though !:thumbs:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Megasquirt with stock C.O.P. and stock 62-2 trigger wheels?

As you could see I'm not use frequently this Forum but I don't know why... I mean with guys like you I should be posting all my doubhs...
Well I live in Argentina (so far from Autodelta :) so We will need to build all in house.
I have to partners on this project, an electric Engineer who is building my Megasquirt and will be tuning up (he 've installed a lot of megasquirt). and a mechanic who will be working on a engine (turbo, intercooler, new forget pistons, etc)
Megasquirt will be the Megasquirt I (one) PLUS, it can drive up to 4 COILS in COP mode, however with small modifications it can reach 6 coils (it will be my case) , anyway we also could work with 3 COILS and "wasted spark"
We can also handle the IAC (iddle) with MS I, because it is a IAC of 3 wires.
My idea (we are building it) is to build a plub adapter to use the stock wires (to coils, injectors etc) usually there are some problems with Crack Signal wire...

Entire engine will be reconditioned, Foreged pistons (9:1), rims, new valves, special conducts, and new clutch (special).
Currently we are looking where to put the turbo compressor: on 2,5 TB stock place (in front) or on the same place that AIR Filter (we will be removing the Air filter box)
Then we will be removing the engine and recycling it.
Then , 2 months later (April) we will be trying to tune megasquirt...

Of course I will be posting the advances and I will PM yours at any doubh..

PSI estimated are 8-11 (it is for the Turbocharge ratios purpouse) We will be between a Special T3 (may be hibrid) or T4

THANKS A LOT !!!

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I am paranoid about detonation on my setup, given I am starting with such a high CR for a charged 2 valve engine, so installed a water/methanol injection system. So far, it makes so little boost it's not a problem, but I live in hope of making it pink ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts