Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to order some lowering spring's.. Went to order them the sales person said would you like 35mm or 40mm :confused: :confused Now i'm :confused: with what too get??? What do you recon bearing in mind 17" wheels will come in the future :D :D

Has anyone got 40mm springs with 17" wheels and are they OK??? or would it be better to get the 35mm springs

Cheers

mxer. :)

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
35mm with 17s is fine, no rubbing what so ever even with 5 people in the car, I dare say 40mm will be ok too, eibachs are the ones to have when it comes to handling :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eibach's £190 to me door....... G&m full sespention kit with spring's £299 It just get's worst..... I only originally wanted some £80/90 ish springs could be an expensive month!!! :D :rolleyes: :cool: :p :)

M

·
0 Posts
AO do the G&M springs seperately for £85.76+vat. Or look at Spax or Koni etc
With regards to the 17" wheels i think it's more about the width and profile of the tyre than the actual rim size. When you go up to 17s it's easy to go for a wider tyre which can cause probs when lowering. Dunno specifics but the sportpack wheels are 205/45/16 and i know these are used with 80mm lowered springs ok (Speedy/Narlo), so if you can get 205/40/17 or 215/40/17 tyres the risk prob would be minimised.
Sure someone will be along with the specific tyre sizes.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
It all depends on what wheels you`ve got fitted and what the off set is as to whether they`ll catch or not

Cream had Zender 17" wheels with Zender Springs and they ripped the hell out of his wheel arches ................That`s why i`ve got the Zender Springs and they don`t catch at all with 16" Speedlines on :confused:

·
Registered
564 Posts
I don't think you'll have any problems with either 35mm or 40mm, but I think that the drop is measured on a skinny or super which are 15mm higher than a normal widebody 155 so in effect your only lowering the car by 20-25mm. :D :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheer's guys :) I think i'll go for the Spax £90 35mm..... my car is a sportspack... am i right in saying "Daiblack" that i will only be dropping 20mm :eek: :eek: :confused:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Original qoute "Speed Freak"

................That`s why i`ve got the Zender Springs
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Speed Freak do you have to rub it in all the time about your Zender springs :( , You know i want e'm... ;) So please can we not mention them again please..................Until you want to sell e'm that is;) :p

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
mxer125 said:
Speed Freak do you have to rub it in all the time about your Zender springs :( , You know i want e'm... ;) So please can we not mention them again please..................Until you want to sell e'm that is;) :p
Just for you mate :D

My lip`s are sealed...................no more mention of em or me Leather :rolleyes: :D Did you know i had a Leather Interior as well :rolleyes: :p

Re Selling what i`m not allowed to mention ........................You may have to wait a long long long time as i don`t intend parting with my 155 until they put me in a box and bury me 6 feet under ;) :D :D and then i might get em to bury it with me :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Leather interior aswell MMMMMMmmmmmm....................anychance of knowing where you gonna be buried :D :D

G

·
0 Posts
The Zender springs were to low for road use with 17" wheels. The spax shocks were set to maximum just to try to keep the car from bottoming out everywhere. All the wheelarches are damaged on the my V6. But as the car was a trackday car anyway it didnt matter that it was a pig on normal roads.

With the Eibach springs on and the spax shocks set to minimum it handles far better = it stays on the road rather than leaping off every bump.

S

·
0 Posts
I fitted 17" wheels shod with 205/40s back in March this year. The car's been lowered 40mm with H&R springs, standard shocks still. I had no problems other than where the front guard liner had come astray and started rubbing, but fixed that and it's been sweet. Offset of these wheels is 35mm, on a narrowbody.
Hope that helps...

M

·
0 Posts
MXER....I think the springs on K.I.T.T. might be Zender too as my car sits as low as Speedys :p

Remember that the lowering figure is based on what they call the "normal" ride height. The "normal" is the 2.0litre 8v or 16v Supers which actually sit 15mm higher than what we would call the normal height. The 40mm springs will lower a standard car by 25mm. That's all my Silverstone dropped with the G&M kit on. That kit is good BTW ;)

I would steer clear of putting lower springs on with standard shocks. The V6 doesn't handle aswell as the Silverstone. The V6 has standard shocks and dropped about 3 feet. The Silverstone was uprated shocks aswell and was more stable at high speed cornering. The V6 seems to hit the bump stops more often as the shocks are really too soft for the springs.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Yup, when I fitted 35mm lower Activ springs to my widebody, it only dropped 15-20mm- but that is what I wanted!

Speedy and Daiblack- where have you guys been, I haven't seen you on for ages! :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This has been dug out of the wood's :rolleyes: ....All i'm after is a stiffer ride so it doesn't feel like a boat on the bends, Don't want to spend too much money as i'm after a V6 me-self :rolleyes: ....I'm only gonna buy big thing's that i know will convert onto the v6, if ya no what i mean :rolleyes:

Opankar,..Good choice of spring ;) ....I'm not sure about the plastic sleave, never fitted the Eibach's so i'm guessing :rolleyes: and i myself would leave it on, Why?....Well if Eibach wanted to protect the spring during transit then they would use something abit more removable,...Looking at the picture the sleave looks well on there!!...I rekon you would have to remove the sleave with a Stanly knife :eek: .....So i would leave em on, They look like they are suppossed to be there ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
HI!

Thanks for your answers!
I left the plastic sleeve on the spring. :)

Today I installed my Eibach springs. Eibach says that the whole car goes down by 35mm.
But my 155 1.8 went for 40mm down front and ONLY 15mm rear. Strange.
How low did your Alfas go?

Thx again Rok

1 - 20 of 21 Posts