Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Following on from : I now have a small engine coolant issue. That same mechanic toped the coolant up with green coolant (Alfa 156 JTS has red) after refitting the exhaust manifold. :tut:

So my question is: How long do you recon I have to flush and replace the coolant before any detrimental effects occur? A couple of weeks or around a month?

I suppose at least that mechanic did repair his last mistacks, removing the gasket then welding around the flange and repostioning the exhaust so it wouldn't hit the chassie.

Also what's the best way to flush the engine coolant? I have the Elearn manual but I am not sure how to clean and flush all the brown coloured sludge from the pipe walls e.t.c. Can you flush uninstalled water through the system (engine off of course)?

·
Registered
32 Posts
A small percentage of OAT mixed with blue coolant is ok (below 10%). Above that is where the problems start to occur.

In my 306 it started to go a little funny after a couple of weeks (same thing happened, although it had a cambelt change). I would say rinse the system out with water and fill up with fresh OAT coolant at a 50-50 ratio.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Remove thermostat and bottom hose and place hose in thermostat hole and switch hose on. Go and make cup of tea, enjoy cup of tea and come out and turn hose off. Bolt thermostat back to engine reconnect bottom radiator hose and fill 50% concentrated coolant (Pink OAT) and 50% water, bleed system and job done.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It took a while but I managed to get all the scum out of the system. In the end I disconnected the pipe from the condenser to the water pump and ran water through that as well. I found that using a compressor to blow out the water was useful as it seemed to expel the scum more rapidly.

I couldn't be bothered getting my large diameter bucket out to put below the disconnected radiator hose and quickly wished I had :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts