Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi lads,

I would really love at some point in the near future to drive down to Northern Italy in the 155 and visit a few sights, Stelvio Pass, and motoring museums etc.
How long does it take to get their from the far side of the Chunnel (Calais).
Any advice from those who have done it would be helpful.

One more thing, is it possible to go to one of the tracks over there and hire a track car for a few laps. Ferrari 360 or Boxster, 156 GTA something like that would be nice. I wouldnt fancy rallying the 155 around and having to drive it all the way back with no brakes:D

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi Mate,
my family live near Turin in a place called Alba, (it's where Clarkson, May and Hampster got the truffles and then raced back to England)
I've done this drive a few times, it's 720 miles to my parents and takes 10 and half hours. That's actual driving time and not including stops. The french part is easy. Toll roads are quieter. Sunday is best.
The Italian roads are slower. I go through the Frejus tunnel but my old man swears by the Mont Blanc (monte Bianco).

I'll be driving down in July to get some wine and see the folks

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Comendatore! Another Italian. I'm from Biella. Used to drive down with my dad. 10 driving hours about right. Do NOT speed as you will get pulled and have to pay on the spot fine. Don't forget to switch on headlights when entering any tunnel or you'll get pulled when you exit as they often lie in wait. If you want a nice drive, go over the mountains rather than use the long and boring Monte Bianco tunnel.

·
Registered
296 Posts
yes, the mountain passes are superb.
Also, don't forget that you must have hi vis jackets in the car (1 for every person and you must be able to get to them without getting out of the car, so I've heard)
warning triangle, headlamp deflectors etc.
Hey Rob3rto, I'm not Italian (well not properly) my mum is from Genoa and has moved backj to Italy about 8 years ago, after living here for over 40 years

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Im halfy halfy :D Dads family is from a place near Frosinone and mother is English.

Back on topic....

I drive over there all the time but go a little further! As has been said, France is really nice to drive in. I always then go through Switzerland and the St Gottard tunnel. You need a Swiss motorway tax sticker (buy from the border or from the net before you leave), I find it cheaper that way, since the Gottard tunnel is then "free", also the petrol in Switzerland is relatively cheap.

Another tip you may or may not know, is that you can cross on Eurotunnel using Tesco vouchers at a £4 for every £1 exchange, which means you can get a return crossing for around £30-£40 of Tesco vouchers.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
We normally do it with two overnight stops (in Rheims & Geneva) but we've done it with just the one (Geneva) before.

We could do it in one day but for us, the journey is part of the holiday:cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
someone read my mind ! having been skiing in the aosta reigon several times,once by coach....... never ever will i get one one again,hrs and hrs trapped , just sitting watching the clock, chewing others f###ts and praying i would get some feeling back in my legs,:eek: the thought of driving appeals greatly,and considering i will have to take my son and daughter its got to work out cheaper.:) saves me askin the question, ok concentrate now,whats my next question

·
Registered
22 Posts
i'm ok with squadrome rosso , you can pass to calais , reims , troyes , dijon , bourg en bresse , geneve , alps montains , you can enter to the mont blanc tunnel or cenis mount , for the tunnel is more speed , and after you enter in italy , nice travel :thumbs: and italy is a very nice country :thumbs: .

sur ce a+ a tous ;)

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Hey I'm a halfy halfy too. Mum from Colle val d'Elsa (Siena) and dad from Glasgow . . . . . .

Many A year since I last drove it but aside from the day wasted getting from up here to the channel (a horrible fecking drive) the rest is a cinch. We never touched the Motorways in France at all, and the driving was just sublime. It takes you a bit off route, but the drive along the coast road of the Cote D'Azur into Ventimiglia is just beautiful and very glam:cool: . If memory serves it's the route napoleon that takes you to the Frejus Tunnel and that too is very picturesque.
We usually stopped around Reims area (if it's still there, Hotellerie du Moulin in a place called Eclaron was lovely) then Chamonix. Makes for easy, enjoyable bite size chunks and makes the drive down part of the holiday.
Anyway - enjoy yourself whatever you do.:thumbs: :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I've done Newcastle to Milan a couple of times on mainly motorway, it's rougly 1000miles and done it in around 15-16 hours (not including stops). Obviously factor in more time for doing the nicer mountain roads. :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
I do it in one hit mainly because,
My brother is down there too. He loves a good indian take-away and a bottle of Bangla.
yup, you guessed it. I buy the curry and the Bangla the night before.
Get up at 5 am. Have cups of tea, load curry and beer into cool box.
Get to brothers house approx 7-8pm and surprise him with curry.
You should have seen his face when I did this for the first time.
His wife wouldn't let him eat anything in the evening, because she knew about the curry. He got a right cob-on apparently.
We had Vindaloo, Dansak, more vindaloo, poppadums, and 16 bottles of Bangla!!

·
0 Posts
I'm doing the return leg Milan to London in July. I'm driving all the way flat out in my latest Italian 2 seater - but it will take me at least a week.

Theres some brief details here www.followtheapes.com.

I've done it a few times and it can be done in 10-12 with breaks and not going really mad

1 - 15 of 15 Posts