Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
We have only 1 remaining aprent between us and no we don't talk as often as we should in what little time we have left so make the most of yours while you can young man :D

As for our kids they can always hear when I open my wallet so they talk to us often :cheese:

Our son and daughter-in-law are travelling, they have been in India for the last 3 months and are now in Napal.

Our daughter and grand children live about 5K away and we see then often :)

·
Administrator
23,020 Posts
We live with my mother in law - by which I mean we built an annexe to her property with adjoining doors. She is 88 and we intended to look after her when she needs it. Fortunately she still drives, does gardening, goes to art classes and sews prodigiously. As we live in a sort of remote lane just having us there is a comfort to her. I love her sense of humour, we get on well and, if the time comes I will be happy to look after her.

My own mother is 92 and lives alone in S London in a tiny flat. She has carers in the morning to get her up, meals on wheels at lunchtime and help at night to put her to bed. They do her washing and shopping. I take care of the finances and she is happy living out her days in an environment she has known for the last 50 years. We talk openly about life and death and laugh about it. She is highly religious and cannot understand why God doesn't call her now. I have no belief but say if I was God I'd delay having a cantakerous old biddy for all eternity as long as I could. Trust me - we laugh.

Children - aged 31, 32, 34 and 40. I wouldn't say we were "friends" as I am still a parental figure. However I don't talk to them differently to the way I talk to actual friends. Any subject is legit - swearing long ago ceased to matter and I have heard significant life issues from them - a privilege to me to think they can share such stuff and think my opinion can help. We (Liz and I) don't differentiate between birth and step children - more importantly neither do they - they just see themselves as sisters and brothers - all one family.

Grand children - eldest is 16 and we speak to her in the same way.

·
Super Moderator
9,437 Posts
My relationship with my parents is one of huge love and respect. My parents are the people I would like to become. They are happy, chilled and blessed with fantastic friends. They are immensely proud and supportive of me and my brothers and defend us if anyone dares to criticise us.

My relationship with my son is evolving. He is 21 in a few weeks and in the process of finding full time work after finishing at college. He is finding the transition from student to welcome-to-the-real-world-person difficult and doesn't quite yet understand that we can't afford to keep him in the style to which he has become accustomed. BUT HE WILL! We love each other and exchange more cuddles than words, but he still insists on calling me mum, which, of course, is close to insult for a Brummie. I am his mom ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,437 Posts

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
....Children - aged 31, 32, 34 and 40. I wouldn't say we were "friends" as I am still a parental figure..................We (Liz and I) don't differentiate between birth and step children - more importantly neither do they - they just see themselves as sisters and brothers - all one ........
Nice one there.. :thumbs:

My kids are 9 and 5, so being friends isn't on the menu. I'm dad. The dad. The yes man. The no man. The fix this, find that, tell him, tell her, take me somewhere, buy me this, let me have a dog,,,,,,,,,,, and so on and so on...
Love them to bits. Wonderful age, and I'm really quite sad to be away from them for the following months:cry:

C

·
0 Posts
Very sorry to hear - I assume you are talking parents?

In the spirit of the thread how was your relationship when they were alive?
We were never close as to discuss problems etc. with but we all got along fine. I particularly loved having long conversations with my Father over Religion and Politics.

·
Administrator
23,020 Posts
We were never close as to discuss problems etc. with but we all got along fine. I particularly loved having long conversations with my Father over Religion and Politics.
That sounds great. Families are complex animals and we all have different experiences.

The fact that you could talk passionately about religion and politics means a meeting of minds which, I am sure, gives you many happy memories of him.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
i have been an orphan for a number of years now in fact my last remaining parent died twenty years ago.

i still think about my parents everyday and appreciate more than ever how they reared us three kids during quite difficult times.

my two children and my three grandchildren have never had it so good, bless them all.:):

S

·
0 Posts
Dad's dead. I never really knew him as a person, just a distant father figure. I still keep in touch with my stepmother in the USA.

My mother was a massive fail as a parent. I don't care how sad it is to be addicted to prescription drugs and alcohol, nothing excuses child abuse. I haven't spoken to her for 25 years after she blew the last reconciliation chance I gave her. :tut:

My grown up kids and I have an excellent relationship. They don't need parental advice now because I made a good job of it when they were younger. We chat regularly by many different media as we are spread out around the world. Just in the process of persuading middle son to come diving with me in the Caribbean for a couple of months next spring. :thumbs: I'm sure we can manage 8 weeks together without risk of matricide or filicide. :lol:

·
Administrator
23,020 Posts
Dad's dead. I never really knew him as a person, just a distant father figure. I still keep in touch with my stepmother in the USA.

My mother was a massive fail as a parent. I don't care how sad it is to be addicted to prescription drugs and alcohol, nothing excuses child abuse. I haven't spoken to her for 25 years after she blew the last reconciliation chance I gave her. :tut:

My grown up kids and I have an excellent relationship. They don't need parental advice now because I made a good job of it when they were younger. We chat regularly by many different media as we are spread out around the world. Just in the process of persuading middle son to come diving with me in the Caribbean for a couple of months next spring. :thumbs: I'm sure we can manage 8 weeks together without risk of matricide or filicide. :lol:
Oh scsc - that is sad but so inspirational.

It is so often said that if you suffer abuse as a child you pass that on to your own. My own childhood was less than ideal and my elder sisters protected me from the worst they suffered. I still speak to my mother as my memories are not that bad. My sisters have no contact

All three of us, like you, have raised "normal" families and it never occurred to us to be other than standard loving parents protecting and nurturing our children.

My point - thanks for sharing your experience scsc - it is good that you can do so on a public forum - you obviously have yourself sorted.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts