Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering how you set the front tracking on a 156 SP3 (and what the values are for her 156 2.0 TS SP3 04/2001)? The reason I ask is that the local equivalent of Kwik-fit here actually told me they couldnt charge me for the tracking work as they didnt have the tools/know-how for my car!!! I assume therefore that it needs more than just adjusting the track rod end position???

I know the rear is done thanks to a couple of concentric bolts that allow you to adjust the toe, but I cant figure out how it would be done on the front, if a garage cant figure it out. Dont particularly want to pay for Alfa to do the work for me!

Also, I think my drop-links (non-OEM) may already be dead and they've only done 2 years and 20000Km. Does this seem plausible? Is there a definitive way of testing them? Im worried it could be the AR-bar, which of course is an absolute nightmare that I will not attempt.

V

·
0 Posts
Tracking is done by adjusting the track rod ends, of course that can be adjusted. Standard setting is a small amount of toe out I think, although parallel works well for me.

It is the camber and castor that can't be adjusted.

·
Registered
38,256 Posts
Kwik fit are a bunch of idiots.

The tracking is done the same way as 99% of cars.

The easiest way is to slacken the Trackrod end retaining nut, then turn the rod that comes from the rack so that it screws/unscrews from the trackrod end. There should be a flat or hex haped part on it for this purpose. Under the Gaitor there is a ball joint which allows the steering arm to swivel.

You should realease the clip on the outer part of the gaitor to stop it twisting as well.

You then clip it back up, tighten the retaining nut and off you go.

They should adjust both sideds and lock the steering to do the job correctly otherwise your steering wheel will end up not straight.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im glad its as simple as I thought, but am concerned that the idiots couldnt manage to do it. Does anyone know the settings for my car, so I can take her to another garage and say there's the values to use! I dont trust them to find the SP3 settings, as I remember from a previous tracking that they are different.

Any comments on the droplinks?

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Sportpack = 0 toe. reduces wear in inner edges.

I wouldn't trust KwikFit to make me a cup of tea, let alone touch my Alfa. I'm surprised they didn't just say ... "we don't touch Alfa's. The need special weights to set up the alignment" ... that's what you normally get and again BS ...

Drop links, especially non-OEM ones, can go in that sort of time. Normally the balljoint rubbers perish so they split, letting the grease out and dirt and grit in ...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont have an indi here with laser alignment gear, just "by hand" thats the reason for using a French equivalent Kwikfit. So I guess its a trip to Alfa after all, once Ive again changed the drop links of course.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Must be done equally, on both adjustable track rod ends, to ensure centrality of the steering wheel spokes.:): I measure the exposed threads beyond the locking nuts, and then get them set with an equal amount of threads showing first.

Then adjust each, the same amount in turn, until the requisite toe is achieved. Parallel man myself, but others may differ? Two 1/4" pieces of gas welding rods, with a couple of nuts slid over to measure on the inner rims, half way up, front to rear. Basic, but effective, and have had no problems with tyres scrubbing for years, and years:D

A

·
0 Posts
To keep a regular check on your tracking I would recommend anyone who does their own work to get a Gunsons Trakrite. For an outlay of £60 you can check and reset your tracking as many times as you like. Because you actually drive over the plate it takes into account any slight wear there may be in any bushes etc. Anything that checks alignment with the vehicle static relies on everything being perfect which is why you often hear people say that their tracking keeps moving and they keep paying out to have it reset.

Trakrite Wheel Alignment Gauge | Setup Equipment | Demon Tweeks Motorsport, Motorcycle, Modifying, Parts and Accessories

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To keep a regular check on your tracking I would recommend anyone who does their own work to get a Gunsons Trakrite. For an outlay of £60 you can check and reset your tracking as many times as you like. Because you actually drive over the plate it takes into account any slight wear there may be in any bushes etc. Anything that checks alignment with the vehicle static relies on everything being perfect which is why you often hear people say that their tracking keeps moving and they keep paying out to have it reset.

Trakrite Wheel Alignment Gauge | Setup Equipment | Demon Tweeks Motorsport, Motorcycle, Modifying, Parts and Accessories
Anyone else got any experience of this thing before I buy it? It looks very tempting so thankyou very much Alfafamily!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts