Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while I've been thinking that I wasn't happy not having a spare tyre on the GT and relying Holts tyreweld so I decided to do a write up on this topic to help other GT owners.
A few weeks ago I bought myself a 156 space saver tyre with tool kit but I hit a stumbling block as the threaded rod was not long enough to screw and hold it down. I also notice that compare to the 147 you can put a full size tyre. I thought instead of keeping the space saver I might as well put a full size tyre, that way I'm not restricted to drive a maximum speed of 50mph specially if I'm travelling around Europe.

In my garage I have a set of 4 steel rims and a set of 15" alloy wheels with tyres gathering dust. The set of alloys was meant to be used during winter time and replace it with a set of winter tyres for my 147. Two of the tyres had really good thread so I went to my local tyre fitter and got them to remove and swap it into the steel rims.

Afterwards I went to Wickes and bought myself a 500mm M8 threaded rod and m8 wing nuts. I cut the rod 12-13cm to size and voila my customise rod tyre holder :D. Here is the list of items and cost to do the job.

Steel rims - Free
Tyres - Free
Washer - Free
swapping tyres to rims - £5
156 space saver with tool kit - £15
Rod and wing nuts - £6

For a total sum of my £26 I got myself full size tyre with tool kit and knowing I feel more safer specially I will be taking the GT for the first GT meet to Preston and Alfa Spring Day next month.

Picture 1 - Inserted the rod with wing nut
Picture 2 - 15" steel wheel full size tyre
Picture 3 - Added tool kit with washer
Picture 4 - secured with wing nut
Picture 5 - gap between the wheel and cover

Attachments

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do the GT's wheel bolts fit with the steel wheel or do you need to carry 5 x steel wheel bolts also?
Mine will as the set of steel wheels I own comes from my previous 147.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Gr8 idea!!!

I am after a 5th wheel for mine. Id love a space saver and to be able to fit a full 18'' around the spacy...doesnt work tho :-(.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is this a space saver to fit over the brembos?
Sadly no. If the tyre blows in the front,you swap it from the back and put the spare at the back only.

Just to clarify my spare is not the space saver,I've put a 185/65 15R :thumbs: When I find a cheap 18" sharks fin multispoke then I will stick one. The good thing putting the 15" steel wheel is I can still fit the tool kit inside and therefore leaving the boot completely flush.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts