Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Any GTA owners can tell me what should be the normal running temperature in the GTA should be on a hot day or in traffic?

My goes up to almost 100 with AC on sitting in traffic while my 2.5 doesn't even hit 90.

Cheers

·
Vendor
46,139 Posts
Maybe it needs a new radiator, or the coolant is low, or there is a blockage somewhere? When cruising at legal motorway speeds does it come down to 90?

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Hey all,

Any GTA owners can tell me what should be the normal running temperature in the GTA should be on a hot day or in traffic?

My goes up to almost 100 with AC on sitting in traffic while my 2.5 doesn't even hit 90.

Cheers
hi mossawi, once up to temp, mine sits at 90 like its glued there in all hot / cold circumstances. :thumbs: :D

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Hey all,

Cheers
Do you still have the undertray fitted? I think a lot of people in the UAE that have GTAs find better cooling without.

:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't think 100 in traffic is any cause for concern...still well below the red. Could even be your temp gauge is over-reading slightly.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe it needs a new radiator, or the coolant is low, or there is a blockage somewhere? When cruising at legal motorway speeds does it come down to 90?
Driving on the highways the temp drops to below 90 actually. But i am just comparing it to my 2.5 which runs really cool all the time.

I don't think 100 in traffic is any cause for concern...still well below the red. Could even be your temp gauge is over-reading slightly.
Is that a common problem?

Do you still have the undertray fitted? I think a lot of people in the UAE that have GTAs find better cooling without.

:)
loooooong gone ;-)

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I dont see any reason why the GTA should run any hotter than a 2.5 V6 - if anything it should run cooler as it has a proper oil cooler. The 2.5 V6 oil is cooled by the cooling system.

One of my V6 runs at about 90deg in traffic and the other about 95deg - I just put this down to the difference in the gauges.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Hey all,

Cheers

Sounds like your low speed fan resistor is corroded (so the low speed fan doesn't kick in, but the high temp one kicks in at 100)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi guys,
thanks for all the replies.. i had it all checked out and it seems like all ok. A friend's GTA seems to be running about the same temp. Still dont understand why my 2.5 runs cooler. oh well

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
90 degrees all the time mate:D

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you guys want to learn something interesting?? It may not apply to most Alfa owners as you prob hardly use your AC in Europe. But here in Dubai, AC is ALWAAAAYYYS on.

So, as I was saying, my GTA runs hotter the my 2.5. Now I went and had a quick check on cooling, fans, etc etc.. and found that my AC gas was a little low. The gas was topped up and since then my GTA runs just below 90 at all times.

It seems with the AC gas being low, the compressor was a little overworked which in turn meant that it withdrew more power from the engine that it normally did. Therefore the car ran a bit hotter than usual.

This is all purely my explanation of the situation. Any other theories welcomed.

Cheers

Mossawi

1 - 12 of 12 Posts