Alfa Romeo Forum banner

How often do you check yours?

• I don't have a clue what you're talking about!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Every week

Votes: 25 71.4%
  • Every month

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • That's the dealers job!

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • When the engine sounds a bit tappety?

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, in my handbook it tells me that it's normal to use a litre per 1000 miles (147 GTA). And as apparently the warning lights on 'some' cars are not exactly good at telling you that you have no oil in the engine!
I check mine every weekend to be on the safe side.

So how frequently do you do it?

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
All fluids plus tyre condition & pressures every weekend ;)
My GTA used a fair bit of oil during the first 3 to 4 thousand kilometers, but consumption has reduced progressively since then :)

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
Every time when I wash my car I open the bonnet, clean the engine bay a little and check the fluids. This is usualy once a week. :)

I check the tyre pressure every 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Like Gotcha, I've got into the habit of checking every time I wash the car, usually every 3 or 4 days but once a week at the very least.

The tyre pressures I'm a bit more lax about, every month or so, as they don't tend to lose much air. I had though about getting them filled with gas (is it Nitrogen they use?), I've been told it's better for the structure of the tyre as it doesn't contain moisture, and it doesn't change pressure as the tyres heat up. Anyone used it?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, and I haven't heard of that before?
I check the pressures on average once a month, but would be interested to hear of the above suggestion if anybody has done it?

·
Super Moderator
44,757 Posts
I try to check mine pretty often, but I think it ends up as about once a month. It definitely uses oil, but I've never bothered to measure how much.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
I've said every week, but it's usually about every 2 weeks. And it is me that does it ;)

Tyre pressures about once a month or so.

E

·
0 Posts
Usually about once a month. I don't do much mileage, and my car doesn't seem to use much, if any oil. Level hasn't moved since service last september.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
ode said:
Like Gotcha, I've got into the habit of checking every time I wash the car, usually every 3 or 4 days but once a week at the very least.

The tyre pressures I'm a bit more lax about, every month or so, as they don't tend to lose much air. I had though about getting them filled with gas (is it Nitrogen they use?), I've been told it's better for the structure of the tyre as it doesn't contain moisture, and it doesn't change pressure as the tyres heat up. Anyone used it?
It is nitrogen they use as it is totally inert, Personally i wouldn't bother as they will charge you a silly sum for it and you won't notice any advantage.

·
Registered
369 Posts
ode said:
Sorry to be a pedant - but all gases surely will change pressure as they become warmer - this is Boyle's Law as taught at GCSE. Also about 78% of air is Nitrogen. Can't say much about moisture though - would have thought the air going through a compresser would be dried first?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
We're all too good to be true :D
Cars get checked once a week, oil consumption is pretty stiff so I'm hawkeye and the tyre pressures on the 75 are checked whenever I drive it(usually once a week). I read about how abroad some garages have nitrogen on tap to fill up tyres, apparently more stable than our toxic brew.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I usually check when I wash it too.
Vink, I agree. Not sure if standard auto compressed air is dried though. It may be the water and oxygen that can degrade the rubber. Sounds like a con to me.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Everytime I wash the car, I check tyre condition and oil/screenwash levels. This is usually once a week. Then every once in a while, I will also check brake/steering fluids.

When I'm filling up, I usually check tyre pressures weather permitted.

Works for me :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts